Whats your Lawnmower beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONNYROTTEN

Reaction score
Looking for a new summer lawnmower beer
So far Ive done:

Bee Cave Hefe
Bee Cave Pale ale
Centennial Blonde
Cream of three crops

Think I might try this next.Seems a little different

Ingredients:
0.50 lb Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM)
12.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM)
1.50 lb Rye Malt (4.7 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)

1.00 oz Sterling [7.50%] (90 min) (FWH)
1.00 oz Sterling [7.50%] (5 min)

0.75 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 10.0 min)
0.75 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 10.0 min)
2.00 tsp Black Pepper Corn (Boil 10.0 min)

Safale-05 American Yeast

Now that sounds refreshing. I'm a huge fan of black pepper in refreshing beers. It's like that extra little something to make it interesting. I vote brew it and report back. I've been looking for something like this to brew up for the summer. Subbed. :mug:

I brewed Northern Brewers bavarian hefe a few weeks ago and it is now my go to lawn mower beer.

5 gallons
5.5# Pale wheat malt
4# german pilsner
1 oz german tettnang @ 60min
Wyeast 3068

Truly phenomenal. Here is a picture. It is a little undercarbed in this photo, but after a few more weeks in the bottle it is great!

bavhefe.jpg

I love easy drinking lawnmower type beers when it's hot and muggy here in the summer; and NoVa gets very humid and hot!

I have a few I brew. This one is great on it's own or with some kind of citrus infused in it. I've done kumquats and clementines.
45% Wheat
45% 2 row
10% munich 10
and about 20 or so IBU's, I think, of amarillo/centennial/citra/whatever tropical hops you can get
and sa05/wlp001/clean high attenuating yeast

I can't find the recipe anywhere online but I have it at home if you're interested.

The other lawnmower beer I like to brew is a version of the centennial blonde that's on here. I upped the abv to 5.5% and added more late hops and dry hop it as well. It's a very tasty version of an already tasty beer.

Cream Ale hopped with Cascade. I just did one with Grits instead of flaked corn that turned out really good. Nice and crisp!

I have two that I appreciate when it's hot out- Wayne/Nilo's BM clone, and a RyeCentennial Pale ale.
But my guilty pleasure lawnmower chugger is Woodchuck cider. Slam one of those babies down, refreshing!

That Summer Citra Wheat looks good. I was also going to say I like a clean American wheat as my lawnmower beer on hot summer days. I do 50/50 2 row and white wheat, OG around 1.050, clean yeast, IBU around 20-22 and finish with an oz at 15 and 1-2 oz at flameout of something like sorachi ace, cascade, etc. At least once I year I do a batch with watermelon juice.

Bitter dry IPA @ about 6% ABV.

6% works for me but the back yard is small and the HOA cuts the front!

Some people have acres and might want to stay >6%

In addition to IPA, a good Pils SMaSH is great.
100% Pils
40IBUs (Mosaic was awesome)

Cream Ale hopped with Cascade. I just did one with Grits instead of flaked corn that turned out really good. Nice and crisp!

So I'm about to brew a basic Cream Ale, hopping with Willamette. What quality will the grits give over the flaked corn? Just curious because I'm not sure my LHBS has the corn in stock right now. But grits I can get at the Safeway.

Usually a nice session IPA. If I don't have one kegged up, I like Founder's All Day IPA.

Right now it's a New Zealand session IPA hopped with Nelson Sauvin, Wakatu, and Motueka

So I'm about to brew a basic Cream Ale, hopping with Willamette. What quality will the grits give over the flaked corn? Just curious because I'm not sure my LHBS has the corn in stock right now. But grits I can get at the Safeway.

I get more of corn flavor than I did with flaked corn, not a ton, but more noticeable. I also got lower efficiency for some reason(66% compared to my normal 77%). My recipe was 6.5 lbs. 2 row, 2.5 lbs grits, .5 lbs victory. Turned out pretty dry and crisp(1.005). I'd definitely do it again but maybe use 1.5 lbs grits and 1 lb. instant rice for less corn flavor.

Good luck!

What, nobody drinks bourbon :confused: ... :D

I know not of this 'bourbon' of which you speak. We brew beer, and lots of it! :D :mug:

My store bought lawnmower beer when I can get it, is Leinenkugel's Canoe Paddler, a Kolsch style beer brewed with a bit of rye, which really adds a nice crisp character to it. As far as my homebrew go to, my LHBS has a nice extract kit called Backyard Pilsner that is soooo damned good after a day of yard work. http://www.homebrewing.org/Backyard-Pilsner-Recipe-Kit_p_527.html

Brewing up Kama Citra in a few weeks for my summer brew. Has anyone tried that kit before? Doing the all-grain. I've done their SMASH and the Conundrum and I figured this would be in that realm.

In light of some of the posts above, I've decided to do a Pilsner sometime in the next couple of weeks. And low-and-behold, Homebrew Supply sent me an email about a special deal they were running on a German Pilsner AG kit. Even with the increased postage fee from TX to ME, it was still cheaper than my usual (NB). So, I went for it and it arrived last night (3 business days, pretty darn good). I decided to use the WY Cali Lager yeast instead of my usual WY Bavarian lager, because it'll be easier keeping temps in the low 60's rather than low 50's. I guess the Hallertau instead of Saaz makes it German rather than Czech.

This one has served me well and it makes for a nice base for other brews. I also made one swapping out some of the 2-row for popcorn (probably a pound or so... it filled up the majority of a 5-gallon bucket when popped) that I made in an air-popper and Cascade instead of Mt. Hood - thought of it as kind of a novelty brew when I planned it but it was pretty enjoyable. In both cases, I ended up brewing a second batch as soon as I cracked the first bottle.

I'm a little weird I suppose... mine is a 4# pils 4# wheat 1oz tettnang (60') omega lacto kettle soured gose with coriander fermented with a wlp001/wlp007 blend. Super refreshing.

A simple down and dirty no frills SMASH is mine, This one Using NW Pale Malt and East Kent Golding. Its only around 3.8% because I like to mow straight lines...:D I still have to be careful as they go down almost too easy.

IMG_1027.jpg

Simple Patersbier - enough Pilsner to get to 1.050ish, an ounce of Saaz at 60 and another at 10, ferment at 62 with Wyeast 1214/WLP500.

Jamil's Hefeweizen is another, and a simple Vienna lager is a new favorite.

I have a few. I def love my cream ale. Goes down like water. Also love German Wheats and American wheats. I will drink something hoppy one weekend or another, but coming home and sitting on the patio with a few cream ales does it best.

Latest posts

Back