What's your favorite thermometer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsmith1625

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I started brewing using the 12" dial thermometer that came with my kit. Honestly, it's pretty good but I wanted something smaller and quicker for taking readings when mashing and cooling. I looked at Thermoworks but they're pretty expensive. I ended up buying a cheap one from Amazon which had good reviews. Turned out to be a piece of junk. I returned it and after extensive research bought a Lavatools PT09. I wanted the Javelin Pro but it wasn't in the budget. Anyway, the PT09 if awesome. It reads quick and it's very accurate.

Last brew session I was using my 12" dial thermometer to get strike and mash temperatures. I thought I was spot on, but then I stuck my PT09 in the mash and found I was 4 degrees too low. Damn dial thermometer lost calibration.

Because of this, I just purchased a Thermoworks 12" digital probe thermometer. It should be coming in the mail soon. I would have bought something from Lavatools, but they don't have anything that I can attach to the boil kettle.

Anyway, just putting it out there how much I love my cheap Lavatools PT09 thermometer. Curious what everyone else's favorite thermometer is. Share your story if you got one.

Last edited:
an intermediate term project for me is an Arduino with temp sensors and displays, so that I can include calibration cables.

I've never found a reasonably prided thermometer that has satisfied me. The last $8 brewing one I use cracked its tip while floating in water and bouncing off the bottom once. :rolleyes:

and then there were those ones years ago with a ridge that would pop over a 20 degree temperature change . . .

And either seem to have a variance of several degrees across three or four samples . . .

an intermediate term project for me is an Arduino with temp sensors and displays, so that I can include calibration cables.

I've never found a reasonably prided thermometer that has satisfied me. The last $8 brewing one I use cracked its tip while floating in water and bouncing off the bottom once. :rolleyes:

and then there were those ones years ago with a ridge that would pop over a 20 degree temperature change . . .

And either seem to have a variance of several degrees across three or four samples . . .

Never heard of Arduino. Pretty cool. Looks like a raspberry pi.

much lower scale than a pi; it's an 8 bit, with a bit more punch than the Apple ][. About a dozen IO lines built in, 32k rom, 2k ram, and 1k eeprom.

Also significantly less expensive, at a couple of bucks a pop for the generics. They can run off a watch battery in many applications.

The main project at the moment is my sprinkler controller, after the expensive fancy one partially failed and cost me both lawns, several fruit trees, and several grape vines.

My favorite thermometer is a Galileo thermometer:

Screenshot_1_1080x.png

However if any of you want something like a Thermapen, the Inkbird IHT-1P is better and less expensive.

I bought the thermoworks thermapen and their chef alwarm. Honestly, I like their chef alarm better. I use it for smoking as well. They have a water proof probe too. It’s always spot on when I double check with my thermapen. Now my thermapen is used pretty much exclusively for cooking.

If I would have saw the inkbird that RPH posted back then, I would have skipped the thermapen and went with that. I do think it’s overpriced.

I can't believe I forgot this when I posted last night, but I also have 2 Inkbirds. I have the ITC-308 dual stage controller and I have the IHT-1P probe thermometer that I got when it was 50% off. Both are very good and I couldn't brew without them. The temperature controller brought my fermentation control to a much better level. They are great buys, but not as fast and accurate as Lavatools or Thermoworks.

I just purchased the IHT-1P a bout a week ago to replace an older inkbird model. Im pretty excited about it. Wish I hadn't picked slow boat shipping.

I've been using this one for years... I like it for its portability mostly. Easy to read and sanitize - you can dunk it right in the sanitizer each time you use it and it works as a wand to whirlpool heating water and get an accurate reading when preheating for sparging and steeping grain.

I've been using this one for years... I like it for its portability mostly. Easy to read and sanitize - you can dunk it right in the sanitizer each time you use it and it works as a wand to whirlpool heating water and get an accurate reading when preheating for sparging and steeping grain.

Ohh, I have one of those too. I only used it for a few brews though. I actually did like it, but I really can't be trusted with glass instruments.

I also used a floating thermometer for quite a few brews, but it seemed so inconsistent. I really like the idea of them, but it never matched my other ones. I should try it again now that I have a deeper kettle.

Just got my first thermopen. Holy cow those are quick and accurate. I also use a Taylor with digital with timer and remote probe for my mash and checking cooling of wort.

However if any of you want something like a Thermapen, the Inkbird IHT-1P is better and less expensive.

The Inkbird is definitely (far) less expensive. It's also less accurate.

I have used this one for 4 or so years now...

CDN Longstem Boi (I have the 8" one)

It has a longer than normal probe, which lets me get down into kettles and such a lot better
It can be calibrated
Waterproof to any depths needed in homebrewing
Battery can be replaced easily. And the replacements are cheap.

Also, versatile enough for use in the kitchen and stuff...

Its a good one...

The Inkbird is definitely (far) less expensive. It's also less accurate.
I realize the specs list a wider range but FWIW I've tested mine across a range of temperatures against other thermometers and it's quite accurate, after I calibrated it slightly.

Just got my first thermopen. Holy cow those are quick and accurate. I also use a Taylor with digital with timer and remote probe for my mash and checking cooling of wort.
Question about your Taylor probe: Do you let the braided cable go down into the mash? We've been wondering about thermo-layering in our mash. This device might help us see what's going on down below.

Question about your Taylor probe: Do you let the braided cable go down into the mash? We've been wondering about thermo-layering in our mash. This device might help us see what's going on down below.

Yes, however, mine might be a little older so it is not braided. It has a more normal rubberized coating over the wires. I also added some high temp silicone tubing over it as well.

Thermoworks makes several inexpensive thermometers that are equal to their thermapen unit. They are excellent and there’s no need to spend for overpriced equipment.

I have a Thermoworks Thermopen mk4 and 600D, and the Inkkbird IHT-1P. I have checked calibration between all three and found them to all read exactly the same. My go to is the Inkbird as it is an inexpensive and accurate and easy to use. The Thermopen and 600D sits on a shelf with my other equipment that I
almost never use. If I had the opportunity to purchase the Inkbird first I would never have spent the money on the Thermopen.
I got my Inkbird for 50% off when they had the offer here on the forum so that made it even less money, but still worth it at the full price.
The Thermopen is an excellent piece of equipment that will probably outlive my brewing career, but if budget is an issue there are digital thermometers that do the job for a lot less money.

@dochawk

I also have an arduino project in the works in case you(or anyone else here) needs info. Mine is all breadboarded out. I just need to design and 3D print the enclosure. I am ~ $10 in parts.

Back