What's your favorite honey for mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's kind-of difficult to say, but in my opinion the blackberry honey has the most noticeable flavor. They all have very noticeable essence of berry in them, it is pretty much unmistakable. If you first taste a wildflower honey then next taste any of the berry honey the difference is night and day. I often wonder why people use wildflower honey or some other type of honey with melomel recipes when there is literally tons of berry blossom honey out there to use? The real difference in the fruit varietal honey comes with the aging process. Brew a berry melomels of your choice and use the corresponding honey and wait 6 months, you will see what I'm talking about. The better quality honey, the longer it takes to reach its full flavor potential. 6-9 months is a pretty good guideline.

I tried the blackberry honey (same brand as in your photos), and although it does have a distinctive flavor, I'd be hard pressed to identify it as blackberry, per se. Interesting that you taste it clearly, whereas me practically not at all. I guess you have better taste buds than I do!

I tried the blackberry honey (same brand as in your photos), and although it does have a distinctive flavor, I'd be hard pressed to identify it as blackberry, per se. Interesting that you taste it clearly, whereas me practically not at all. I guess you have better taste buds than I do!
Part of it is this is raw honey, it's pretty thick and has part of the comb in it because it's not filtered OR pasteurized so that obscures some of that taste. If you made a Mead out of it the taste is subtle but definitely noticeable.

Part of it is this is raw honey, it's pretty thick and has part of the comb in it because it's not filtered OR pasteurized so that obscures some of that taste. If you made a Mead out of it the taste is subtle but definitely noticeable.

OK, I decrystalized it by heating it up to about 130F in a water bath, and now the flavor is a lot stronger. I'm getting a more flavorful "blackberry" taste now.

OK, I decrystalized it by heating it up to about 130F in a water bath, and now the flavor is a lot stronger. I'm getting a more flavorful "blackberry" taste now.
The best way to judge it is to ferment it, once the sediment drops and the mead has finished and aged the taste adds alot more complexity to melomels. Wildflower has a distinct taste as well, it's not a bad taste but you can definitely tell the difference in honey used depending on the type and quality.

Also, if you're going to heat honey, don't go above 115 degrees Fahrenheit, any higher than that will begin to break down natural enzymes in the honey. You can also look for honey that's been filtered, the key is no additives or diluting it with corn syrup etc. As long as its natural honey it's all good, stay away from any South American sourced honey as it is always cut with corn syrup and corn syrup makes for crappy Mead. As long as the honey is natural and not heated above 115 degrees (non pasteurized) it's good quality, the best for mead making.

stay away from any South American sourced honey as it is always cut with corn syrup and corn syrup makes for crappy Mead.

That's completely false information.

Brazil and Argentina are producing some exceptional honeys that I assure you are not cut with corn syrup.

The best traditional mead I've ever made came from Brazilian wildflower honey. Several commercial meaderies are also using this honey.

Brazil and Argentina are producing some exceptional honeys that I assure you are not cut with corn syrup.

The best traditional mead I've ever made came from Brazilian wildflower honey. Several commercial meaderies are also using this honey.
OK. Care to share that particular honey brand? Not that I would go out of my way to buy South American honey but I wouldn't mind seeing what you're talking about. Plenty of American honey as well with corn syrup and other garbage, my point however is don't buy cheap honey.

I'll also add, the majority of "honey" you find in supermarkets or anywhere by large retail stores, is about the worst you can buy in fact, is probably not even honey as all. Most of the honey being sold on the shelf in the US is probably originated in China and has been super filtered to remove all pollen to eliminate the ability for it to be tested for country of origin because it's entering the US illegally, this "honey" also has high amounts of heavy metals such as lead and antibiotics which were used to fight a disease killing Chinese bee hives and articificial sweeteners.

OK. Care to share that particular honey brand? Not that I would go out of my way to buy South American honey but I wouldn't mind seeing what you're talking about. Plenty of American honey as well with corn syrup and other garbage, my point however is don't buy cheap honey.

Bee Seasonal

I always thought you wanted grade B honey, Darker and sweeter from what I hear

You're thinking about maple syrup...Grade B syrup actually is pretty good, and has a stronger flavor...

Oh, and as for the original topic: I have never made one, since Sourwood can be hard to come by (as was outlined by @specialkayme in previous posts), especially now that I don't live in NC anymore. I have, however, had sourwood mead several times, and it is absolutely amazing, and by far the best varietal I've ever had....

Last edited:
I just today tried some Linden tree honey from Russia. Tastes like home-made honey taffy. Love it!

Anyone tried one of the so called "hot" honeys that appear to be popular on amazon for mead?

e.g.
https://www.amazon.com/Mikes-Hot-Ho...y&qid=1552330394&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

or
https://www.amazon.com/Gourmet-Hot-...rds=hot+honey&qid=1552330394&s=gateway&sr=8-8

I've read how some people like Jalapeno mead or other peppery mead, and this seems like it might be an easy way to get that.
Never tried any of that, I like spicy food but I think spicy mead might be a bridge too far for this guy. Lol. The honey would be an interesting way to add some spice to a Mead, but I think using an extract would be just as effective, but I'd put it in the primary. You could just drink some tobasco sauce though and save yourself the trouble lol. All kidding aside, I'll look into it and post it if I can dig something up.

Which are the easy recipes that you like?

The only recipes I've found so far for capsimels on this forum are here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/game-of-thrones-mead.397184/page-2#post-5015778
Although they look both interesting and potentially tasty, they all seem to involve adding fruit as well as peppers and none of them look "easy" per se.

Aha! I see the problem now. The search term should be spelled "Capsicumel", not "capsimel".

Then again, Denard spells it altogether differently....

Which are the easy recipes that you like?

Make a traditional sweet mead. Prior to bottling add 1 dried chile per gallon (I thread unscented dental floss through the chile so I can easily remove). Sample daily until the mead is slightly hotter than you like (it'll fade ~20-25% over time, in my experience).

If you don't get the heat you want after 72 hours, take out the chile and use a new one. Too much soaking can result in grassy aromas and flavors.

Now, the trick is to match the yeast, honey, fruit (if using), chile, final gravity, and acid/tannin adjustment to make a harmonious blend of all of those attributes...

That's part art and part science, and apologize for not sharing all of my tricks. ;)

Never tried any of that, I like spicy food but I think spicy mead might be a bridge too far for this guy. Lol. The honey would be an interesting way to add some spice to a Mead, but I think using an extract would be just as effective, but I'd put it in the primary. You could just drink some tobasco sauce though and save yourself the trouble lol. All kidding aside, I'll look into it and post it if I can dig something up.

The local meadery, (Wandering Bard) makes a Peach-Carolina Reaper mead that isn't bad. A little dryer than I like, but if I had a cold, I'd prefer it to Nyquil...

Anyone tried one of the so called "hot" honeys that appear to be popular on amazon for mead?

e.g.
https://www.amazon.com/Mikes-Hot-Ho...y&qid=1552330394&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

or
https://www.amazon.com/Gourmet-Hot-...rds=hot+honey&qid=1552330394&s=gateway&sr=8-8

I've read how some people like Jalapeno mead or other peppery mead, and this seems like it might be an easy way to get that.

Well, despite the contrary advice, this evening I bought some of Mike's Hot Honey and used just a bit of it to backsweeten some traditional mead that I had already corrected with acid and lots of oak tanin. To be honest, it tastes great! Mind you, I didn't use a lot of it, but I can feel its heat and taste it too.

Well, despite the contrary advice, this evening I bought some of Mike's Hot Honey and used just a bit of it to backsweeten some traditional mead that I had already corrected with acid and lots of oak tanin. To be honest, it tastes great! Mind you, I didn't use a lot of it, but I can feel its heat and taste it too.
Very interesting. Is it more of a pepper taste or heat?

Very interesting. Is it more of a pepper taste or heat?
More heat than pepper taste, so yeah, that's a weakness.

I don't doubt that dangling peppers by dental floss would probably yield a superior pepper flavor, but for a quick fix, a small amount of the hot honey can add a little something positive.

It does make me interested in trying a proper Capsicumel.

Anyone tried Pepperoncini's? Seems like you could add a lot of those without fear of getting too much heat.

Last edited:
Earlier in this thread I had wondered if there were any serious use for buckwheat honey in mead, but now it appears there is. I found a very interesting recipe by none other than the famous "Joe" called "No Age Straight Sweet Mead in 3 weeks"
http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php/8265-No-Age-Straight-Sweet-Mead-in-3-weeks

Part of the reason it's fast is that he stops the fermentation when it reaches SG 1.020.

I may give it a try, in part because I have no other use for the buckwheat honey I purchased.

Diclaimer: I have never used this. Just found it today and thought of you.

https://epichoney.com/products/raw-african-honey?variant=19340192645233

What species of bee made it? If it tastes like the african killer bee honey I tried earlier, I'll pass. Though according to our bee expert on this thread, true african bees would be different.

LOL. My first reaction to their trademark/logo was that it looks like a sick or dying bee (perhaps waving for help?). My second reaction was maybe they meant it to be a stoned bee? Or is it a bee that gorged on so much honey that it can't move? I assume the dreadlocks and sunglasses means its a hip/cool African bee, but somehow the rest of the cultural meaning didn't translate.
deadBee.png

Last edited:
$60 for 12 here and that's the low priced guy. Though $2.x per pound won't cover the drive to montana unless I bring a semi truck...

$60 for 12 here and that's the low priced guy. Though $2.x per pound won't cover the drive to montana unless I bring a semi truck...
Lowest price I've found so far for local honey has been $44 for a gallon of central texas wildflower honey: https://www.walkerhoneyfarm.com/central-texas-wildflower-gallon-12-lbs/
but I'd have to drive about 90 minutes to get it.

I need to find a good 5 gallon pail price from a local honey producer, but haven't tracked it down yet. Plus, I'd need to taste it first, obviously.

Costco honey is $12 for 5 pounds, so it's actually cheaper than walmart (and I'm quite sure it's better too). IIRC, costco "raw" honey is around $7 per two pounds, and it is quite strong tasting. Presently it's the best price/performance ratio, and it claims to be only US sources of honey.

I just found out here: https://www.homebrewersassociation....tips-from-the-2018-aha-meadmaker-of-the-year/
that there are two different types of buckwheat honey. The eastern type smells enteric, and must have been what I tried (i.e. Pee-ew! ) It says to avoid that type. Apparently the western type is much more pleasant. But where to find the western type? The different buckwheat honey's don't label themselves as such one way or the other.

I think that'd be at the very bottom of my list to pursue. So many honeys to try first.. Tupelo (YUM), Medowfoam, Heather...
Heather is the most interesting one I ever tried. I had Scottish heather honey and it tastes really really distinctive. I think it probably would be best only used as a part of the honey, otherwise it might be too intense.... But maybe that's what would make it especially interesting?

Heather is the most interesting one I ever tried. I had Scottish heather honey and it tastes really really distinctive. I think it probably would be best only used as a part of the honey, otherwise it might be too intense.... But maybe that's what would make it especially interesting?

The same might be said of Tupelo. And they're both rather expensive. I've read that heather honey is on the list of "the top 1000 things you must eat before you die".

Not only that, but California and Florida orange blossom honeys are different too. Californian oranges tend to be smaller and sweeter, and the orange groves are more isolated which means the bees don't wander into other fields as much as they do in Florida. I have a 12 lb gallon of California orange blossom honey that I'm trying to figure out what kind of mead to make from... when I stop eating it on toasted English muffins. Yum.
12 lbs of cali orange blossom honey...I know that wasnt cheap. whatever you put that in is going to be great.

As a Certified Master Beekeeper, I can attest to this.

HFCS if you're lucky. Sugar water if you aren't. But the adulteration isn't the bigger issue to me. It's the latent minerals and chemicals that exist in the honey that comes from these regions.

Not tried. Did. And are still doing.

Look up the statistics on Vietnam imported honey. Once the Chinese anti-dumping laws were passed in the US, Vietnam's honey exportation grew something like 1,000x, way more than the country could ever produce. Where do you think that's actually coming from? Same holds true with Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, even some South American countries. The USDA caught some people, and they went to jail over it. But it's still rampant in the industry.

Basically. Go to a local, smaller farmer's market. Find the beekeeper and talk to them. Ask them where their hives are, and if they resell anyone else's honey. Some do, but not all. I don't, for example. I produce my own honey, and when I sell out I sell out. Most consumers don't understand, and ask for honey in February. I tell them I sold out last October, and it was harvested last June. They seem confused, as the super market has honey year round, why can't I just go back to my hives and get more? The disconnect between farmers and consumers is shocking.

If you can't find a beekeeper at the local farmer's market, contact the local beekeeper's association. Most counties, or regions of counties, have one. Talk to them about where their honey comes from. They can usually tell you the trees and the sources, and it all varies based on year and location. One year's honey will taste entirely different than another year's honey. Large producers blend honey to get consistent flavors. But to me the joy is getting that variety every year.

There is no such thing as killer bee honey. It all depends on the nectar source, not the bees that make it (provided they are all apis mellifera).
my ex-brother in law was a beekeeper for a little while. Had some nice accounts at local bakeries and also sold at a few local grocery stores. He did well , but the decline hit him hard and he sold out to another beekeeper friend of his. He couldnt keep hobbies as hobbies, they ended up as failed businesses all the time. The man just couldnt do something for enjoyment, he had to ruin it every time.
My young cousin and her husband got into a hobby sized set of hives in a small town in upstate NY not long ago. I dont think they've had enough time to do an extraction as of yet. Neat hobby.

How much pesticide finds its way into honey? I'm kinda wondering whether I might be consuming a lot of DDT (or, alternately, name your poison) if I buy foreign honey. A lot of persistent pesticides that were banned in the US are still used in other countries.

How much pesticide finds its way into honey? I'm kinda wondering whether I might be consuming a lot of DDT (or, alternately, name your poison) if I buy foreign honey. A lot of persistent pesticides that were banned in the US are still used in other countries.
That is a fair point to consider. Also, what the Chinese cut their honey with might not be always.... Well, desirable to ingest.

And, a lot of pesticides that are banned in the rest of the world are still used in the US!

(Partially the reason why most sources of certified Organic honey aren't from the US)

Latest posts

Back