Whats your favorite beer of your favorite style?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmenn

Reaction score
I'm interested in trying some new styles of beer, so I'm wondering what styles people like, and what beer of those styles they like.

My favorite style lately has been American Wheat, and I like Oberon, but I have not tried this years version yet.

A close second would be IPA's, but I haven't decided on a favorite version of it.

So what are your favorites?

My go to drinking beer is a pale ale. Favorites are Widmer's drifter pale ale, Tallgrass' 8-bit, Sierra Nevada's pale ale, and Summit's EPA.

My favorite style though is RIS. Stone, Surly, Fulton and Great Divide make my favorite of that style.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

My favorite beers of all time would have to be Finest Kind "IPA" from Smuttynose.

I'am partial to IPA's but love brown and red ales as well.

It's hard to pick a particular style of beer that I like, because there are so many. The same goes for the breweries; I like too many to isolate a favorite. I'll write down a few that I enjoy, in hopes that it helps you experience some more great beers.

Belgian IPA
Houblon Chouffe - Brasserie d'Achouffe
It's a wonderful sweet tasting beer with great citrus hop flavor and bitterness.
Houblon+Chouffe+Dobbelen+IPA+Tripel.JPG

Chocolate Stout
Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery
This is an amazing chocolate stout. There's a lot of really great ones out there, but this one has loads of chocolate scent and flavor. Chocolate and more chocolate. If you're looking for more chocolate than beer, this is it.
IMG_1234.jpg

American Black Ale
Wookey Jack - Firestone Walker
I still remember the first time I opened one of these bottles and the scent of hops just poured out. It is an amazing beer.
wookey-jack-web.jpg

Belgian Dubbel
St. Sebastiaan Dark - Brouwerij Sterkens N.V.
You probably won't find this beer at the top of most people's list, but I really love this beer. There's a light fruity sweetness to the beer that I really enjoy. As a bonus, the bottle is a ceramic swing-top jug! Unfortunately it usually demands a high price (probably because of the jug) but it is worth it. I always tell myself I'll re-attach the top and save it but it never lasts long...
6370.jpg

I've left out a lot of styles but this should get you started

I'll go with Caledonian 80/-, although it's been ~6 years since I last had it. Every 80/- I've attempted to brew has fallen well short of it, lol.

Dubbel - Ommegang Abbey, Rochefort 6

Trippel - Unibroue La Fin Du Monde

Quad - Rochefort 10, Ommegang Three Philosophers, Sierra Nevada Ovila,

Doppelbock - Samichlaus

American IPA - Odells Myrcenary, Ska Modus Hoperandi, Great Lakes Commodore Perry, Sierra Nevada Torpedo, Great Divide Hercules (DIPA)

Imperial Porter - Evil Twin Lil B

Imperial stout - North Coast Old Rasputin, Great Divide Yeti, Sierra Nevada Narwhal

American Barleywine - Sierra Nevada Bigfoot, Unita Anniversay, Bell's Third Coast Old Ale

Don't try all these in one night OK? :drunk:

I had a Third Coast Old Ale on tap that had been aged for 5 years it was literally the best beer I've ever had.

On the lighter side I have to give a shout out to American pale ales, there are so many flat out great ones to choose from right now, but the best in my mind and I'm having one right now is Mirror Pond, just a great tasting and smelling drinkable beer.

My favorite style is DIPA, favorite example is hop venom from boneyard in Bend, OR. Favorite that can actually be found in a store is Firestone Walker Double Jack.

Belgian Dubbel
St. Sebastiaan Dark - Brouwerij Sterkens N.V.
You probably won't find this beer at the top of most people's list, but I really love this beer. There's a light fruity sweetness to the beer that I really enjoy. As a bonus, the bottle is a ceramic swing-top jug! Unfortunately it usually demands a high price (probably because of the jug) but it is worth it. I always tell myself I'll re-attach the top and save it but it never lasts long...
6370.jpg

I actually enjoy this beer as well. I have used those ceramic bottles from that one and their tripel for bottle conditioning my own beers in the past, too. Unfortunately, my wife made me throw them all away when we moved and didn't have any place to put them in the new place.

Personally, I really quite enjoy both stouts and porters. Such as La Vache Folle for an imperial stout or either Old Engine Oil or Black Butte for a porter.

Ebel's Weiss.

Two Brothers Brewing Company in Warrenville, Il. Their brewery is only about 30 min from my house, but I've never been there. I don't even know if they give tours.

They have an amazing imperial stout too. Their beer inspires me...

Ebel's Weiss.

Two Brothers Brewing Company in Warrenville, Il. Their brewery is only about 30 min from my house, but I've never been there. I don't even know if they give tours.

They have an amazing imperial stout too. Their beer inspires me...

Ebels weiss is absolutely awesome. It is my favorite noon on a summer saturday mow my lawn beer. It is also a half hour from my house and I have never been there.

Before your post I planned on saying Founders Dirty Bastard for a Scotch Ale. Its my favorite "real" beer (affordable enough to buy regularly). Old Chub from Oskar Blues would be second in my book. I love scotch ales.

Let's see....

English Bitter (Ordinary or Best): Coniston Bluebird Bitter with Timothy Taylor Landlord a close second
Extra Special Bitter/English Pale Ale: Adnams Broadside
Mild: Mad Fox Brewing Company's Mason's Dark Mild (brewpub local to me)
English Brown Ale: Samuel Smith Nut Brown Ale
Scottish Ale (of the shilling variety): Belhaven Scottish Ale, or Port City Tartan
Strong Scotch Ale: Orkney Skullsplitter
Saison: Saison Dupont (when it's not skunky)
Lambic/Gueuze/Etc: Cantillon Iris
Berliner Weisse: 1809 Berliner Weisse
Flanders sour beers: Rodenbach Grand Cru or Petrus Aged Pale
Tripel: St. Bernardus Tripel
Quad/BDSA: Tough call between St. Bernardus Abt. 12 or Westvleteren 12
Kolsch: Reissdorf Kolsch
Altbier: Zum Uerige Dusseldorf Altbier
Hefeweizen: Weihenstephan Hefe Weissbier

That's what I've got off the top of my head.

However, were I to pick only one, I'd have to be the Coniston Bluebird, with Saison Dupont coming second.

I'm a big fan of strong scotch ales and extra special bitters. Favorite would have to be skullsplitter and fullers esb, respectively.

IIPA - Foothill's Seeing Double IIPA. I had it for the first time just the other day, and fell in love!

Stout is my favorite type. My current favorite is old rasputin imperial stout and it's easy to get, but I'm digging barrel aged lately. I have yet to try more than a couple yet. I do like founder's imperial stout, as well.

Porter: Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald

Dunkel: Hofbrau

Doppelbock: Ayinger Celebrator

Pale Ale: Great Lakes Burning River

The only commercial version of Foreign Extra Stout that I've tried is the Guinness version. A very good beer in my opinion and one to seek out.

Pils: Left Hand Polestar.

Right now my favorite Ipa is the new Widmer upheaval Ipa. I love rye ipas too, but I think my favorite style is the doppelbock. I'm a malt forward kinda guy at heart, but I've been bitten by the hop bug.

I think a real malty amber ale is a very underrated style.

Right now my favorite Ipa is the new Widmer upheaval Ipa. I love rye ipas too, but I think my favorite style is the doppelbock. I'm a malt forward kinda guy at heart, but I've been bitten by the hop bug.

I think a real malty amber ale is a very underrated style.

I think everyone (myself included) goes through a big hop phase, some people pass it and some don't

I think everyone (myself included) goes through a big hop phase, some people pass it and some don't

I'm at the point now where I want to brew something 14+% abv with 200+ Ibu and over a pound of hops.
If I had to pick between sex and hops... Well id be a happy Ipa loving SOB :)

For me it's a toss-up for favorite styles.. I do so enjoy Baltic Porters, and Smuttynose is my favorite of the style. But for quite awhile now I have been really into Bourbon barrel aged stouts. I've tried more than a few and so far, the 2012 limited reserve from Central Waters has been the best.

I do love hops though too and I usually have some sort of IPA in the fridge at all times.

I love sour beers. I have not had too many, maybe four or five different ones but I have not been disappointed by one yet and just love how strange they are. That being said, I drink IPA's the most because I'm from San Diego but I am kinda getting over all the big hop forward beers. I love a good Brown ale when I can find them out here

I'm a Porter gal. Love them. Black Butte Porter on tap is quite good. My fave though is a London brown Porter that we brew. The back-end chocolate/coffee flavor just blows me away. AND it makes some mighty fine braised short ribs too. AND it also makes a delightful pots de creme.

Wanna post the recipe? I too love brown porter with a ton of coffee and chocolate notes. Already have yeast inbound that will do a double batch as a yeast investigation. I was going to do the Fuller's London porter I found, but I'm not completely sold yet.

American Saisons - my favorite is Hennepin, such a classic food friendly, thirst quenching, complex but doesn't have to be beer

Imperial Stout : Ten fidy
IPA: Fat Tug - Canada's equivalent to Heady or Pliny
Pale Ale - Dale's
Love Rochefort 10 and St. Bernardus 12

Also love bud, coors and miller lite....:drunk:

Back