What's your brewing experience?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EthanWalker

Reaction score
So I've only brewed 7 all grain batches and have done quite a bit of homework (including countless hours on this forum). My question is when do you go from beginner to expert? Is there a certain number of brews before you reach expert level? I would definitely consider myself a beginner, but I find myself skipping over more and more posts about obvious questions. I feel like the knowledge you gain correlates to the number of brews. Should there be another forum for the in-between expert and beginner forum? A hierarchy for home brewing? Start out as turb and work your way up to master brewer.....just thinking out loud.

Well, it's said that it takes 10000 hours to master anything, so depending on how long your brewday is, between 1600-2000 batches?
Seriously though, I consider myself intermediate because I know my all grain process and how to theoretically be consistent.
To each their own though.

So I've only brewed 7 all grain batches and have done quite a bit of homework (including countless hours on this forum). My question is when do you go from beginner to expert? Is there a certain number of brews before you reach expert level? I would definitely consider myself a beginner, but I find myself skipping over more and more posts about obvious questions. I feel like the knowledge you gain correlates to the number of brews. Should there be another forum for the in-between expert and beginner forum? A hierarchy for home brewing? Start out as turb and work your way up to master brewer.....just thinking out loud.

I know several brewers who have brewed 100s of batches, but I would still call them an "advancing beginner" because they haven't really mastered some of the basics. You can make 100 batches of mediocre beer and that doesn't make anyone an expert.

I consider myself "advanced" I guess. I have a pretty good grasp of water chemistry, advanced techniques like decoction, fermentation control and proper yeast pitching, but I still learn something nearly every day. I don't think "expert" is a good term as even if someone makes awesome beer much of the time, there is always more to learn. Hanging my competition ribbons around doesn't make me an expert, either, nor do the cool certificates for being a certified BJCP judge or those paper certificates for winning competitions, or awards won. I think that if someone thinks they don't have more to learn, that makes them arrogant and not necessarily an 'expert'.

Even the pros (those who brew for a living) learn all the time.

Once you have dialed in your equipment and numbers. You know what the grains and hops will do. The water volumes and the timings. Once you can consistently make a beer. But the field is always changing. Toss in adjunct, spices, woods, fruits, etc...There are so many styles, You can't be an expert in all of them.

Get comfortable with a few beers, be consistent and enjoy.

If we determine 2000 batches to reach master I have 1993 more batches to go. Let's say $20 a batch is $39,860 just in ingredients. Lol.

I think "master brewer" is a pretty broad term since brewing can involve a ton of disciplines. For instance, someone could be a "master brewer" by being completely dialed in with their brewing rig and being able to monitor and adjust different variables to produce consistent beer. I think you could also call someone a "master brewer" who has an intimate understanding of ingredients and knows how to blend them to create masterful beers. You could also call someone a "master brewer" who deeply understands the science behind beer and knows how to apply it to create a better beer. I suppose if you wanted to take the term literally it would be applied to someone who was the head brewer of a commercial brewery.

Hey Yooper - no need to downplay your skills. Based on your postings I'd call you a homebrew expert. Expert just means highly skilled - I consider myself an expert in my field but there are people who know far more than me as well.

In terms of the OP's questions there are a bunch of facets - you could be an advanced recipe creator but know nothing about water chemistry. You could know everything there is about yeast but make poor beers.

Your question also takes a big jump - when do you go from beginner to expert? Answer - you don't. I would think you go through several steps - beginner, intermediate, advanced then expert.

Anyway, I didn't answer your question.

Yep! And that's not taking into account hardware... If you follow a standard upgrade path you can easily spend thousands more on gear. Why not just call it an even $50000?
Tell ya what, just send me the money and I'll send over your "Advanced Brewer" certificate. [emoji6]
Really though, I kid. Yooper's explanation is spot on, and if anyone could be called an advanced brewer, it's Yooper. I've learned a ton from her posts over the years, and there is still a ton I don't understand. So keep brewing, EthanWalker, and try to learn at least a little bit from each batch. Have fun!

Ive been brewing for a few years now, have invested a lot of time in reading, learning and improving. I have 100+ batches, and I can honestly say I still learn something new weekly. Im not sure when you really cross one threshold into the next.

I don't think there's any real yardstick. There are so many facets of brewing that you probably can't claim to have mastered them.

Can someone be an expert extract brewer? Even if you consider yourself an expert at brewing Saisons, for instance, that doesn't imply that you are any good at lagers.

As long as I make tasty beer, I don't care what you call me.

I've been an extract brewer for several years now, and currently contemplating making the jump to all grain (either brew in a bag or a three vessel system, not sure which yet). The way I see it, as a homebrewer, you really never stop learning, and with each batch you continually strive to perfect your technique until you hit the mark consistently. :mug:

Everytime I make a beer that is fantastic I pat myself on the back, as do my friends, and we sit around and talk bull**** about how awesome I've gotten at it. A batch or two later I make one that's kinda crap and it reminds me how much I still suck at this.

The funny thing though, is that even my mistakes are getting better. While it doesn't mean I'm an expert, of course, it does seem that I'm getting better.

One piece of advice if you want to improve more quickly - take good notes and use them. I don't do that nearly as well as I should and I'm sure it's slowed down my progress.

I am a green noob. 5 batches under my belt, the last three were extract recipes with either a steeped grain addition or a mini-mash, and not from a kit of some sort.

Interesting thread. I agree it depends on what aspect of brewing we are talking about. I would say general basic practices like getting a hold of fermentation temp control and yeast health are needed to bring someone out of the novice stage. My learning curve certainly went up switching to all grain as it forced me to learn about water and really get a better handle on individual ingredients. I won't ever come close to being a water expert, but I know the importance of it and am good at manipulating my own water. I guess I'd consider myself somewhat advanced in the realm of American styles, mostly APA's and IPA's, because that is mostly what I brew and have experimented with a variety of yeasts, hops, grainbills, water profiles. On the other hand I brew very few German styles, mainly because I don't really care for many of them, so I would be a novice there. I've never done a decoction mash for example, and the only lager I brew on a regular basis is a schwarzbier. Maybe the average makes me intermediate. I do consider myself the brewmaster of the house though ;)

My take is that you never stop learning. Justbwhen you think you got it, there is something else to learn. Then when you learn something new you brew with that new information until you decide thatbthere is something else to learn.

It never ends.

I have to agree that this is one hobby where you're never done learning. To me, it's partially a zen thing. After a while, you just sorta know what'll work on average & what doesn't. But we always seem to be attracted to that next epiphany, that next, dang that's good beer we haven't tried brewing before. Or trying combinations many haven't & have them come out good, but not exactly what you expected either. That's the draw & fascination of home brewing these days.

Each all grain brew nets the brewer ~120 xp.

As with most other leveling hierarchies, the amount of xp needed to move on to the next level increases with each level gained.

However, brewing differs in that xp does not scale up as you level. Unless you either a) move up to a new, more advanced system/method or b) gain an xp multiplier by doing multiple batches in one session. Each brew for the session gains you a 1.5% multiplier on the day's xp.

Now, some gear will net an xp multiplier, but I'm more in favor of brewing speed enhancements, so I will generally pass up gear with a higher xp multiplier (MLT/IC/BS) for BPS (brews per session).

Hopefully that clears it up a little.

I have a couple recipes I feel like I've really nailed. I have a brand new recipe that is pretty awesome. I have recipes that need work. I learn new things all the time. There are enough aspects of homebrew and styles of beer to keep one busy.

I figure any intermediate brew questions can go in the more specific forums.

I think the terms "beginner" and "expert" are somewhat relative. To say where one ends and the other begins is hard to say. I have people who don't brew beer but like the beer I brew calling me an "expert". In my experience, I am F-A-R from it! And there are those who are not beginners, but they won't tell you they are experts because humility dictates that no matter how much they know, they always have something new to learn. And how much one decides to learn about his craft is basically limitless. In comparison to those who have been doing it for even a few years, I am very much a beginner and proud of it. I look at and read what I have yet to learn and I get excited about that. And like I said, to those who have never brewed or are just starting, I might look like an expert to them. Again, I think it is all relative to one's personal perception and experience. And willingness to keep learning.

My wife and I opened our brewery a little less then a year ago. I still learn something new almost every day. There is always something new to learn or a new technique to try. I don't ever think I will say I am an expert. The thing I like most is trying something new.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back