What's worse; open solder connection or silicone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ANewrBrewr

Reaction score
I have made a simple electric sparge tank using two of those 1000w "allied" bucket heaters and I'm super happy with them. However I do notice on the heating elements there is a small solder where they connect the heat element to the thermometer element. I'm sure it's fine, but I hear people say that solder joints are bad for you when in contact with water. I've also heard the suggestion about using "food grade" silicone to cover the solder. However there is also people that say even the "food grade" silicone is bad for you. So my question is what would pose more of a health risk; Leaving the small solder joints alone or applying a layer of silicone??

Cheers.

Duct tape fixes everything. Seriously, I went the food grade silicone route and had the nastiest off flavors ever. I would just get lead free solder and patch it up.

Duct tape fixes everything. Seriously, I went the food grade silicone route and had the nastiest off flavors ever. I would just get lead free solder and patch it up.

That's not good! I'm leery about going the silicone route as well. Any thoughts on the dangers of exposing a small 2" solder to your sparge water? I'm tempted to just leave things as is...hell More Beer sells the same heating element for brewing (at about twice the cost) so I assume not too many people have had any negative health issues and they're made for use with animal watering buckets and again no reports on negative impact to the animals...

Since 1986 lead free solder has been required for homes and is the most common one around today. There is zero percent chance of any health concern over lead in your application. Frankly, even if you used old fashioned pure lead solder, the amount used and exposed to your wort would not even pose any risk at all.

Since 1986 lead free solder has been required for homes and is the most common one around today. There is zero percent chance of any health concern over lead in your application. Frankly, even if you used old fashioned pure lead solder, the amount used and exposed to your wort would not even pose any risk at all.
Except thats not entirely true... If it was pure lead solder the acidic wort would certainly cause it to be more of a health risk than say water lines...

this exact scenario was an issue with old shine stills from what I've read.

That said your right about modern (or even older) solder joints being fine for water lines or exposure to water.... ANEWBREWER, You do realize that most homes and businesses still use copper plumbing (Soldered copper plumbing) to supply the water? unless your heaters are over 20 years old you have absolutely nothing to be worried about.

Except thats not entirely true... If it was pure lead solder the acidic wort would certainly cause it to be more of a health risk than say water lines...

this exact scenario was an issue with old shine stills from what I've read.

That said your right about modern (or even older) solder joints being fine for water lines or exposure to water.... ANEWBREWER, You do realize that most homes and businesses still use copper plumbing (Soldered copper plumbing) to supply the water? unless your heaters are over 20 years old you have absolutely nothing to be worried about.

This is strictly for my sparge tank, so it will never be in contact with wort (acidity). So I should be fine! Thanks for the inputs!

If you google "Allied Bucket Heater RoHS Compliant", you'll turn up the Amazon Review at http://www.amazon.com/Allied-Precision-Premier-742G-Bucket/product-reviews/B000BDB4UG

One of those reviews quotes a service/sales rep from Allied (search on the page for "RoHS" to find it quickly):
The sales/service rep from Allied said wrote back quickly and was very friendly. He said, "It is not approved for heating drinking water. While the solder that we use is RoHS compliant, thus containing no lead, there has been no testing to determine compliance [of the heater] for use with potable water.

Obviously that's just a review on Amazon, so by no means definitive. But if it is made in the US, the solder should be lead-free.

If you google "Allied Bucket Heater RoHS Compliant", you'll turn up the Amazon Review at http://www.amazon.com/Allied-Precision-Premier-742G-Bucket/product-reviews/B000BDB4UG

One of those reviews quotes a service/sales rep from Allied

Obviously that's just a review on Amazon, so by no means definitive. But if it is made in the US, the solder should be lead-free.

Good hunting! I read that same review. That is what got me thinking I was poisoning myself! Then you read other people saying the only reason they say that is because they don't want to spend the money to test it as "food safe" so to cover their own they just say NO. Also I don't drink THAT much beer so I think it would be a bit different if it were my everyday water coming from my tap... I'm going to just assume it to be safe!

I think as homebrewers we are "over-thinkers" at times. Some people swear that aluminum is bad for you as well, yet I've worked in commercial kitchens that exclusively use aluminum stock pots for cooking soups, etc. No deaths there! :)

I think as homebrewers we are "over-thinkers" at times. Some people swear that aluminum is bad for you as well, yet I've worked in commercial kitchens that exclusively use aluminum stock pots for cooking soups, etc. No deaths there! :)
In fairness, a person would not drop over dead from eating there even if the aluminum was proven to have bad health effects...plus you would likely have to eat there every day to get enough exposure for it to matter. What it does (debatibly) is slowly effect your health like smoking or excessive drinking since its a toxic metal that can build up in your system with enough exposure and acidic liquids such as spaghetti sauce or wort do disove the aluminum.... (dont believe me? leave spaghetti sauce in a bare aluminum kettle for a couple days in the fridge and then taste it)
and with anything harmful some people get lucky , some dont.

My sparge arm, as well as manifold for my mashton, all copper, all lead free silver solder. No off flavors, colors, odors, or extremities growing abnormally.

In fairness, a person would not drop over dead from eating there even if the aluminum was proven to have bad health effects...plus you would likely have to eat there every day to get enough exposure for it to matter. What it does (debatibly) is slowly effect your health like smoking or excessive drinking since its a toxic metal that can build up in your system with enough exposure and acidic liquids such as spaghetti sauce or wort do disove the aluminum.... (dont believe me? leave spaghetti sauce in a bare aluminum kettle for a couple days in the fridge and then taste it)
and with anything harmful some people get lucky , some dont.

Yeah that's a good point! And that's why I was thinking even if something is leaching into my beer I don't drink enough beer (few pints a week) for it to really be an issue. I guess I'll update this thread when I'm old in age and see if there is any issues to speak of :)

Latest posts

Back