What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh my god, El Cedo by Jester King - 8.0% ABV farmhouse ale dry-hopped with Citra hops, aged with Spanish Cedar spirals and bottle conditioned with Brettanomyces yeast

Got in a trade and glad I tried it, but could not get it out of my mouth fast enough.

I like that one too but understand what your coming from. It is strong cedar but I cant pick out "wood" from the beer unless i have an un-wooded version.

I am a amber fan if done correctly, but Red Seal is the 1st beer I ever poured out. It actually got me into home brewing because I was so ticked I paided good money for a six pack of that. I also had to pour out a glass of Urthel Quadrium but in all fairness it was flat out of the bottle. I just couldnt power through a quad w/o carb lol.

DisturbdChemist said:
I like that one too but understand what your coming from. It is strong cedar but I cant pick out "wood" from the beer unless i have an un-wooded version.

Same here. I couldn't tell you what characteristic in it came from the cedar unless I was somehow able to try one without it.
I definitely liked that one, though.

Same here. I couldn't tell you what characteristic in it came from the cedar unless I was somehow able to try one without it.
I definitely liked that one, though.

I was there Saturday and that is the last $10 tour with "free samples". They are changing to a brew pub and you can buy beer and bottles to take home. I'm going to head there for one of their release parties definitely:ban:

I was there Saturday and that is the last $10 tour with "free samples". They are changing to a brew pub and you can buy beer and bottles to take home. I'm going to head there for one of their release parties definitely:ban:

My parents live about 5 miles from Jester King (my girlfriend's parents about 2 miles) as I recently found out. I am going to Austin this weekend, but I don't know who all would like to go to the brewery with me (a lot of plans have been made already). I really like their concept and all of their beers I have tried (and I'm not a big Belgian-style fan!).

My parents live about 5 miles from Jester King (my girlfriend's parents about 2 miles) as I recently found out. I am going to Austin this weekend, but I don't know who all would like to go to the brewery with me (a lot of plans have been made already). I really like their concept and all of their beers I have tried (and I'm not a big Belgian-style fan!).

If you're looking to get into the oh so exciting world of spending too much money trading beer, shoot me a PM. :D

I see a lot of people here don't like Sam Adams, which I certainly don't mind downing a few here and there. But try this: Try a Sam Winter (12 oz) and mix with a shot of vanilla stoli. Instant holiday party in your mouth. I'm pretty sure that the stoli would mix great with any other holiday style beer, with all of the spices that go into the beer mixed with the vanilla. Definitely worth a shot. I love em. And by the 2nd one, the legs are already a bit wobbly.

As for my undesirable beer, Summer Shandy. Don't call it beer, because it certainly isn't.

my girlfriends father will not drink summer shandy because it is a "fruity drink" and he only drinks the good stuff, miller high life haha

If you're looking to get into the oh so exciting world of spending too much money trading beer, shoot me a PM. :D

Man, once I am more confident in my beers I will be interested, but as it stands now I have 1 good beer and 1 alright beer bottled up (not enough malt, very watery yet hoppy).

Man, once I am more confident in my beers I will be interested, but as it stands now I have 1 good beer and 1 alright beer bottled up (not enough malt, very watery yet hoppy).

i think he is talking about trading local craft beers that he cannot find in his area

yeah hopefully he is not wanting to trade local TERRIBLE craft beers haha
Hey we have some of that too in Texas! Pedernales Brewery has been a big letdown, same with most of Buffalo Bayou's stuff.

Speaking of bad local beers, I just had a Straight to Ale's (Alabama) Gorillanaut IIPA Saturday night and it was just bad. Not much in the way of bitterness and hops...just syrupy sweetness. I just bought the bottle a couple of weeks ago and it has been in the fridge since so I can't imagine the hops have faded that fast. I will RARELY dump a beer, but I just couldn't justify drinking 22 oz. of a 9% beer. If I'm going to drink less beer due to higher ABV I want to really enjoy what I'm drinking.

Wrong thread but let me say... fort bends ipa. It just plan sucked as well as every other beer I had from them. Ignore the pic. That is a good beer

ForumRunner_20130617_184015.png

DisturbdChemist said:
This was at the bottom of a bad beer. Sorry wes couldnt finish it lol

I was amazed that you made it past just one sip of that stuff. That's pretty much what the bottom of my other two looked like when poured out.
Yummy! ;)

1fast636 said:
What beer was that? And what the hell is in your sink looks like chewing tobacco

Sam Adams Triple Bock. It is without a doubt the worst beer ever made. Nothing that has been listed in this thread could come anywhere near close to that crap. I would gladly drink any beer a million times over that has been listed in this thread rather than take another sip of Triple Bock. It's that bad.

bottlebomber said:
Jesus, what's with that stuff?? I want to aquire a bottle to take to my homebrew club.

If I had another bottle, I'd hook you up, but my last two went to DisturbdChemist and TNGabe.
It is so bad. You have to taste it for yourself to really appreciate the nightmare in a bottle that it really is. I think it was last made in 1997, but periodically I see bottles pop up around here. If I ever see them again, I can let you know. That is if your up for damaging your taste buds for a couple days, and of course, sharing the agony with others. ;)

DisturbdChemist said:
It seems I won this thread haha. I got the worst beer in history in the tread. Just imagine chocolate soy sauce. Then youll have Sam Adams triple bock (97).

I think I listed it a long time ago here. But it got lost with all the slightly mediocre beer that everyone's been listing. It truly is the worst beer ever! Atleast you posted a picture of the contents to give everyone a visual of just how disgusting the contents of that nice blue bottle really are.

I think it is important to drink a REALLY bad beer at least once. It improves the curve for all the other beers and makes you appreciate them more. Kinda like "Shakes the Clown" did for me and movies.

If I had another bottle, I'd hook you up, but my last two went to DisturbdChemist and TNGabe.
It is so bad. You have to taste it for yourself to really appreciate the nightmare in a bottle that it really is. I think it was last made in 1997, but periodically I see bottles pop up around here. If I ever see them again, I can let you know. That is if your up for damaging your taste buds for a couple days, and of course, sharing the agony with others. ;)

Since it was last made in 1997, wouldn't it be a bit... well aged... by now?

I mean that's 16 years ago, I don't think I've ever heard of a beer lasting that long.

WesleyS said:

Yup, not sure when we're doing the bad beer tasting, but my buddy has 94 TB, so we can do a 2 yr vertical. ;)

Sam Adams Triple Bock. It is without a doubt the worst beer ever made. Nothing that has been listed in this thread could come anywhere near close to that crap. I would gladly drink any beer a million times over that has been listed in this thread rather than take another sip of Triple Bock. It's that bad.

You may have gotten a bad bottle or one that wasnt aged correctly, but i goi to have to disagree with you here. I tried this about two months ago and it was amazing. It is not meant to be a carbonated beer like everyone calls beer. It is closer to a port than anything else.

Also, take into consideration what triple bock is used for. Various batches are blended and then cask aged at sam adams. You may know it as utopias. I could be incorrect, but thats been touted one of the best beers in the world. Again, not what you would want on a hot summer day if your expecting a blonde or an ipa, but every beer has its place. Triple bock is utopias in its purest form, and a good bottle of it (tried side by side with 2 different aged bottles of utopias) puts the utopias to shame...

Its very hard to know if the bottles you had were stored properly from when they were brewed 16+ years ago...

And i'll +1 to the voodoo, not a fan of smokey beers and that one was terrible

gometz said:

I mean that's 16 years ago, I don't think I've ever heard of a beer lasting that long.

It was meant to be aged. But age didn't do it well.

TNGabe said:
Yup, not sure when we're doing the bad beer tasting, but my buddy has 94 TB, so we can do a 2 yr vertical. ;)

When you do it, you definitely have to post and let us know what you thought of the 94 and 97.

ArcticBear said:
You may have gotten a bad bottle or one that wasnt aged correctly, but i goi to have to disagree with you here. I tried this about two months ago and it was amazing. It is not meant to be a carbonated beer like everyone calls beer. It is closer to a port than anything else.

Also, take into consideration what triple bock is used for. Various batches are blended and then cask aged at sam adams. You may know it as utopias. I could be incorrect, but thats been touted one of the best beers in the world. Again, not what you would want on a hot summer day if your expecting a blonde or an ipa, but every beer has its place. Triple bock is utopias in its purest form, and a good bottle of it (tried side by side with 2 different aged bottles of utopias) puts the utopias to shame...

Its very hard to know if the bottles you had were stored properly from when they were brewed 16+ years ago...

And i'll +1 to the voodoo, not a fan of smokey beers and that one was terrible

I opened a bottle at 8 years old and one at 15.
At 8, it tasted like hot, alcoholic soy sauce. At 15, it tasted like the juice from a wet cardboard dog bed slathered in burnt brown sugar and soy sauce.
I can't speak for how it was stored for the first 8 years of its life, but once it was in my possession, it was stored just like all my other cellar beers.
No one will ever be able to convince me that it isn't the worst beer out there. This wasn't a case of just getting something other than expected or not liking the style. I had read about it in a few beer books, I knew exactly what it was when I found it and bought it.
It just plain, flat out sucks in my opinion, and everyone else I've talked to that has tasted it. You're actually the first person that's told me it wasn't the worst thing they've ever tasted.

That may be the most boring "craft" beer I've ever had.

I think you may be right. I think I expected way too much. I had to go look in the mirror to make sure my lip was not bleeding. It has a very weak ale flavor with an overwhelming Copper taste and I hate that

I too had the bock a while back. Probably when it was first released. All I can remember due to your reminder was the burnt soy sauce flavor. I can still taste it now. It wasn't bad, but to me it wasn't beer. Maybe a good steak marinade :)

I recently had a bottle of Hair of the Dog "Adam" batch #3 from 1994. They still have bottles of it they've saved and sell at their Portland brew pub. Each 12oz bottle is $50. My friend was a little intoxicated and decided it sounded like a good idea. I was pretty worried about what a 19 year old beer would taste like but it was QUITE good. It had this balsamic, cherry cordial type taste going on with it.

Just saying it's doable.

I recently had a bottle of Hair of the Dog "Adam" batch #3 from 1994. They still have bottles of it they've saved and sell at their Portland brew pub. Each 12oz bottle is $50. My friend was a little intoxicated and decided it sounded like a good idea. I was pretty worried about what a 19 year old beer would taste like but it was QUITE good. It had this balsamic, cherry cordial type taste going on with it.

Just saying it's doable.

My friend gave me two BMC sanke kegs from a party he had 5 years ago. I opened them up to clean them the other day they had a "Balsamic" smell as well:D

Just want to add on the Sam Adams triple bock I had a bottle that came directly from Sam Adams cellar to the liquor store. At that point it was 10 gears old. It was so ungodly awful. Cardboard and soy sauce all the way. And I did try to marinade meat with it but it ruined the meat. I just kept tasting the horrible beer as I was eating yuck.

Rogue Maple Bacon Doughnut. I've mentioned it before but I keep coming back to it because it tasted like drinking a grill smoke shit.

Rogue Maple Bacon Doughnut. I've mentioned it before but I keep coming back to it because it tasted like drinking a grill smoke ****.

I saw this at my distributor and asked about it. He said it sells really fast and he actually likes it. Says it tastes like a mcgriddle from McDonalds! At 14.99 I'll pass but if it was $5, I think I would try it.

Latest posts

Back