What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rouge - Siraccha Stout.

I had about 3 sips then poured the entire bomber out. ****ing disgusting.

First place would be a bottle of Twisted Pine Billy’s Chilies someone bought me as gift since I love spicy food. It was repulsive... bad beer plus way too heavy on the chilies. That is the ONLY bottle of beer I have ever poured down the drain... I even choked down a Bud Light Lime that they were giving out for free in a bar one time (presumably because nobody would pay money for them). I did decline a second free bottle, however...

qfjfzKM.jpg

Some other duds up here in Canada that I've had recently: Creemore Premium Lager, Kawartha Lakes Raspberry Wheat, and Hop City Brewing Lawn Chair Weisse. I at least finished all of those, though.

Damn, really? I like all of Creemore's beers: Lot 9, Urbach, and especially the lager.

Woodstock Inn Brewery Autumn Brew. Hated it, over spiced. Was in a mix pack and gave the other two bottles away. Harpoon Winter Warmer again over spiced. Blech. I made a horrible steam beer that was a mess, but I'm keeping the bottles around to make BBQ sauce. Great for that.

I get all the beer my bro in laws don't like, they atleast try different beer so ill give them credit "this taste like a pine tree" no those are hops and this beer is great.. the only ones I don't like are green apple flavoured beers.. yuck

We've had so many new breweries open up here in San Diego County in the last four years that I can't list all the BAD beer I've had. I certainly cannot pinpoint it down to the worst, because so many should have never been brewed.

It's amazing to me that these places open with infected beer and very bad beer. It seems these are homebrewers who are riding the wave, getting some funding, and throwing spaghetti against the wall.

Possibly the worst was an IPA from Novo Brazil Brewing that tasted like it was flavored with butter instead of hops.

It's amazing to me that these places open with infected beer and very bad beer. It seems these are homebrewers who are riding the wave, getting some funding, and throwing spaghetti against the wall.

Yeah, that's a problem any time you have something that suddenly balloons in importance or popularity the way craft beer has. In the IT industry, you could practically set your watch by the rise and fall of the stock bubbles, which invariably involve a few hundred thousand carpetbaggers who know nothing about software development jumping into the field when it's hot, only to get washed away when their blue-sky promises turn out to be hot air. Aside from the companies that either have ridiculous business plans or are outright stock frauds, you also get a wave of unqualified 'programmers' with bogus certifications and a line of glib talk, who push honest but socially inept coders out of the picture with their ludicrous claims and glad-hand schmoozing of the HR reps and pointy-haired bosses who make most of the hiring decisions.

Gee, don't hold back, Schol, tell them how you really feel...

Anyway, I do recall seeing this sort of thing too. Red Hare's quality control was atrocious when they first opened, for example, though they got a lot better later. The same happened with New England Brewing back in the early 1990s, and was part of why they closed up shop for a while to get their house in order.

drank a guinness (non-nitro at least) for the first time in ages and was amazed at how below even my modest expectations were for it. just chugged it down and grabbed a homebrew after. just didnt seem like a full on stout.

I don't know, just thought the lager tasted like... socks or something.

Absolutely dig Creemore's Kellerbier, though.

creemore pilsner the last time i had it was very bad, but the lager a nice north american classic style lager. their urbock was great but i had their kellerbier and thought it was infected.

Rowdy (hoppy rye) from Atlas Brew Works in D.C. Had pretty good reviews online, but after trying two cans it tasted like old LME, out of place floral hops, and was so sweet that my lips were sticky. Apparently you can sell mediocre beginner homebrew for $10 a six-pack.

Pepper beers seem best for cooking and not drinking.

I was at Bell's Eccentric Cafe 2 weeks ago and they had a habeñero infused Oberon, but I was to preoccupied drinking Kalamazoo IPA and other delicious beers I didn't try it.

It has to be a pattern and not a coincidence since I gave another 6-pack a try. My wife pretty much only drinks certain pilsners and Kolsch style stuff.

But a place called Big Boss here makes a Kolsch style "Angry Angel". Every time I drank it I could swear they accidentally mixed a batch of Kolsch with an IPA.

I expect a Kolsch to have that really really smooth drink and finish but this stuff tasted literally 75% an IPA to me.

I'm not a super educated beer drinker, but if you blindfold me I can tell you a stout from an IPA from a pilsner, etc...

Never bought it again.

A newer place popped up making a Kolsch style locally and it's totally a different drink, exactly the way I expect it to taste. The newer place's tasted 95% a Gaffel.

Prairie bomb and from what I hear Mexican cake is pretty legit. Never had it though

Mexican Cake is a revelation - it is a perfect balance of roast, chocolate, coffee notes, and just a little bit of heat at the end. Unfortunately, a lot of pepper beers really amp up the heat and don't think of it in context with the beer to create a balanced taste. Habanero Sculpin is even too much in more than 4oz pours. Things like Ghostface Killah that are downright painful? No thanks.

Sam Adams Christmas Beers. They're terrible. The worst ever was the Cherry Porter thing. It was vile. Low carbonation, sweet cheery, malty... yuk. Close second was the one they made with junipers. Then third place would be Shiner's Prickly Pear beer.

Shock Top End of the World Midnight Wheat. It's probably a stretch to call anything with the Shock Top label "craft beer" but Midnight Wheat is, without question, the most unpleasant tasting liquid I have ever put in my mouth (and I’ve siphoned a fair amount of gasoline in my time).

Shock Top End of the World Midnight Wheat. It's probably a stretch to call anything with the Shock Top label "craft beer" but Midnight Wheat is, without question, the most unpleasant tasting liquid I have ever put in my mouth (and I’ve siphoned a fair amount of gasoline in my time).

Lol. I always thought Shock Top was pretty bad, especially their tangerine. Figured I wasn’t alone when they started to sponsor Tough Mudder and you’d see 3/4 full beer cups sitting around every level surface. I’m talking several hundred at a minimum just in the areas I visited.

drank a guinness (non-nitro at least) for the first time in ages and was amazed at how below even my modest expectations were for it. just chugged it down and grabbed a homebrew after. just didnt seem like a full on stout.
Lol this is awesome. I used to love Guinness before i got into craft beers. I don't even consider it a stout anymore. More like a black ale on nitro

Mine was a local stout made in some small little town in South Africa. In-your-face obvious flaws, with baby vomit being the most prominent of the lot. I took two sips, made my brother in law taste who promptly spat it out and then tossed the bottle.

craft styles that are all nasty; pumpkin, sour, bacon, bourbon barrel, hot pepper, Someone gave me a pumpking recently, super nasty. Cant remember what brewery makes the rootbeer beer, also disgusting

I hate almost all flavorings, but make an exception for pumpkin, which I love. The worst beer I have had recently was blueberry gose. Redolent of blueberries and seaweed; salty. I could only take a couple of sips of it. But I love JAWN (I only figured out today that "N" stands for "nugget") and coffee JAWN from the same brewery, Neshaminy Creek. I guess I'll have to amend my statement about flavor exceptions to add coffee.

I had an awful ale at a beer festival with many AZ beers present. The brewery was very new. I have never dumped a cold beer until that day or since. They were at the same beer festival the next year and their beer game was on point.

On second thought. I recently had a Chardonnay barrel aged sour that was so strong with acetic acid that I couldn’t drink it. At least the first one tasted like beer. Both places are local and make good beer too so I won’t name them.

Okay probably doesn't fit the craft beer description but the worst has to Pabst Pale Ale. There was an english mild that I bought that I threw out too. It was super aged, so cant be too critical.

Back