What's the grain bill #'s with high gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbeachroach

Reaction score
Hey guys trying to get an idea of how many pounds of grain you need to push out 8%-10.5abv with all grain.

Trying to keep this in mind for 5 gallon batches and what size minimum brew pot to use.

It depends...

BIAB no sparge you need a pretty big kettle. My guess is 15 gal.

Batch or fly sparge with 85% efficiency...16.7 pounds of grain would give you 6 gallons of 1.090 wort. That would hit your range with most yeast.

I've brewed a 10 gallon batch of 10% Doppelbock with 32 pounds of grain in a Keggle (15.5 Gal) ...so it may be possible to do 5 gallons of 10% with 16 pounds in a 8 gallon kettle ...

I've brewed a 10 gallon batch of 10% Doppelbock with 32 pounds of grain in a Keggle (15.5 Gal) ...so it may be possible to do 5 gallons of 10% with 16 pounds in a 8 gallon kettle ...

Considering the brewers edge mash and boil, looks like I would be pushing it.

You could easily do a Belgian strong or tripel by adding your candi sugar immediately after the boil. I would like to do an all grain traditional bock. Love that style, but my boiling setup cannot handle high gravity worts of more than 4 gallons - so I improvise a bit.
To be on the safe side, get the larger kettle if you can swing the price. For me, ten pounds of grain and 4-5 gallons of mash water pushes my 7.5gallon Anvil kettle to the limit - then again, I rarely brew beers over 1.060 OG.

"Are you talking to me?" - Travis Bickle o_O

Well, if that was for me, there's one big reason.
I brew on the stovetop and a four gallon boil is all my setup will really handle, so I improvise a bit. I don't really want to invest in burners or extra propane to make more than 5 gallons at a time due to space AND keeping my Other Half satisfied my brew obsession doesn't overtake things .... you know ...

Brewersfriend is telling me that 16.25lbs of grain would produce 5.5 gallons of 1.082 wort at 75% efficiency. The Green Bay Rackers (not to be confused with the football team) calculators suggest that if you keep the water:grist ratio at or below 1.75:1 you could mash in an 8.5 gallon vessel.

Need to keep in mind that sparging is going to yield a lot more pre-boil volume than 5.5 gallons. Not sure how your system handles sparging that amount of grain.

Something else I'll throw out there, it takes a long time to boil down that much wort. Consider parti-gyling. Check out these links: MoreBeer, BeerSmith. The math between the 2 doesn't always want to add up for me, but they'll get you started. The big issue with parti-gyling is that you'll need a larger grain bill, but you wont have to boil for as long. Bonus: you get a small beer that you can drink almost right away while you're waiting for the big beer to finish up.

Latest posts

Back