What's the fastest and most powerful stir plate for a 5L flask?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone ever removed the cover of a Maelstrom to see what's under the hood?

Cheers!

Old thread. I had to open it because the motor stopped spinning. Just a DC motor with a magnetic bar attached to the shaft. The motor is then connected to a board. Not a lot to it.

For reference: I put a drop of oil (sewing machine oil) on the shaft by the housing. Spun the motor shaft a bit and got it going again. It did take a little bit for the oil to work. I may have put another drop after the first. Also watch magnet placement to the plastic case. If the magnet gets too low on the shaft, then stir bars will get thrown. I had to readjust because I had removed the magnet. Has worked good again so far.

Old thread. I had to open it because the motor stopped spinning. Just a DC motor with a magnetic bar attached to the shaft. The motor is then connected to a board. Not a lot to it.

For reference: I put a drop of oil (sewing machine oil) on the shaft by the housing. Spun the motor shaft a bit and got it going again. It did take a little bit for the oil to work. I may have put another drop after the first. Also watch magnet placement to the plastic case. If the magnet gets too low on the shaft, then stir bars will get thrown. I had to readjust because I had removed the magnet. Has worked good again so far.
Putting oil on the commutator of a brushed motor is a no-no. Oil the bearings very sparingly. They are likely sintered bronze bushings and so can absorb the oil. Anywhere else the oil will hurt performance or stop it from running altogether. If that's not the issue then check the comm for carbon buildup and clean it with fine emery cloth if needed. If the brushes are worn out it's time for a fresh motor.

Putting oil on the commutator of a brushed motor is a no-no. Oil the bearings very sparingly. They are likely sintered bronze bushings and so can absorb the oil. Anywhere else the oil will hurt performance or stop it from running altogether. If that's not the issue then check the comm for carbon buildup and clean it with fine emery cloth if needed. If the brushes are worn out it's time for a fresh motor.

It's a small DC motor. I did only oil the shaft against the casing. Whether it lasts or not is yet to be seen. I had to screw around with it again on my next brew but seems to be spinning good again right now. We will see if it lasts. I think I'll see if I can buy a replacement motor. I'm not even sure if this particular motor even opens well.

Back