What's the better temperature?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrBrewDC

Reaction score
I've run into a new conundrum and am looking for advice...

I have ten gallons of Yoooer's House Ale that has another week to dry hop. It's meant to do so at 62*. I have Biermuncher's Octoberfast just beginning it's fermentation. It's meant to be at 68*.

What would be the temperature of my fermentation chamber that would cause the least undesirable change to either?

64/65 (or even 62) will be fine for s-04 or wlp029 or whatever yeast you are using. It will probably be cleaner.

Dry hopping a fully fermented beer at 68 vs 62, will result in negligible difference. None to the beer itself from the yeast being at 68 after its done. And perhaps an immeasurable difference in dry hop flavor extraction.

Really, it doesnt matter. But set the temp for the beer about to ferment. Thats most important in general.

I agree with giraffe, in must cases tbe ferm temp is really important during the yeasts growth period and less so later, with in reason. As far as I understand. I would probably drop tbe temp slowly if any fermentation was still occurring.

Many homebrewers will raise the temperature at the end of fermentation to make sure it finishes well. Then possibly a cold crash. After fermentation has finished and I put a new batch in my chamber I move the probe to the new batch and ferment to it's range. I don't notice anything bad in the first batch due to a different temperature.

So how bout this...

I brewed 3 days ago and it's been at 62* the whole time. I'm now upping it to 68* but is there anything I should do in addition at this point?

Back