What's the "best" widely-available instant coffee?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TasunkaWitko

Reaction score
I know, it's a loaded question from the start, but I do have a reason.

I'm looking for the best, widely-available instant coffee possible. Full-bodied, rich, roasty and just flat-out good-tasting, with an emphasis on the "savory" aspect of coffee, if possible.

Our choices are very limited up here in Siberia (whoops, I mean north-central Montana! ;) ), so please don't get too esoteric on me!

Thanks in advance -

Ron

Folgers? It's pretty good as far as instant is concerned. I used it in a chocolate/coffee milk Stout before. Turned out nice.

Thanks guys, and good point, kh....

My apologies to all ~ I neglected to mention what I was using it for.

When I was visiting a friend this past summer, I sampled some home-made coffee liqueur (non-creamy) that his wife had made, and it was incredible. The best aspects of it were those described in my post above, and I was seriously impressed with the flavour, as it had an amazing balance between sweetness (from the added sugar) and savory-richness. There was some serious umami going on, and it reminded me in a way of a really, really good soy or teriyaki sauce; I know that sounds weird, but it's true.

Just thinking about it now makes my mouth water!

Even more impressive was that it was made using instant coffee, rather than some "fancy-schmancy" gourmet stuff.

Anyway, he wrote down the recipe, which is actually pretty easy, but his wife was out of town at the time and he couldn't remember the brand of instant coffee that she used.

Judging by the taste of the liqueur, I'd wager heavily that it is coffee from Arabica beans, but beyond that, I wouldn't have a clue.

Hope this helps -

Ron

Thanks guys, and good point, kh....

My apologies to all ~ I neglected to mention what I was using it for. You're right, Mike - I forgot to mention what I needed to know for.

When I was visiting a friend this past summer, I sampled some home-made coffee liqueur (non-creamy) that his wife had made, and it was incredible. The best aspects of it were those described in my post above, and I was seriously impressed with the flavour, as it had an amazing balance between sweetness (from the added sugar) and savory-richness. There was some serious umami going on, and it reminded me in a way of a really, really good soy or teriyaki sauce; I know that sounds weird, but it's true.

Just thinking about it now makes my mouth water!

Even more impressive was that it was made using instant coffee, rather than some "fancy-schmancy" gourmet stuff.

Anyway, he wrote down the recipe, which is actually pretty easy, but his wife was out of town at the time and he couldn't remember the brand of instant coffee that she used.

Judging by the taste of the liqueur, I'd wager heavily that it is coffee from Arabica beans, but beyond that, I wouldn't have a clue.

Hope this helps -

Ron

Well, what's the recipe?

Here it is:

Darcy's Coffee Liqueur

1 gallon distilled water
11 cups sugar
3/4 cup instant coffee
1 quart Everclear

Boil sugar water. Add instant coffee. Let coffee dissolve and then let sit and cool. Add 1 quart of Everclear.

Sometimes Darcy won't use all 11 cups of sugar or the whole quart of Everclear - She tastes as she goes.

That's it - what could be easier?

I've already made the decision to make this in the next couple-three weeks, as time allows, and will try to report back as I have more information. If anyone tries this, I'd be interested in hearing how it goes, what coffee you used, and if you get the same impressions that I got.

Ron

I know, it's a loaded question from the start, but I do have a reason.

I'm looking for the best, widely-available instant coffee possible. Full-bodied, rich, roasty and just flat-out good-tasting, with an emphasis on the "savory" aspect of coffee, if possible.

Our choices are very limited up here in Siberia (whoops, I mean north-central Montana! ;) ), so please don't get too esoteric on me!

Thanks in advance -

Ron

Instant coffee usually sucks but the Starbucks instant packs are pretty damn good for instant coffee. They have some micro ground whole beans in them that add a little something more than just coffee crystals alone. Best IMO.

I'm willing to bet if you made Darcy's with real coffee it'll blow your socks off.

I make my "daily" coffee by grinding the beans extremely fine with a high power spinner type grinder. It has nearly the consistency of laserjet toner. Then just pour boiling water, or slightly cooled down from boiling, on top. Stir well, let settle. Similar to Turkish, Greek, or Serbian coffee (cafe). You don't drink the bottom. ;)

I was thinking along much the same lines. I am guessing that a gallon of brewed coffee would perform the same function as the distilled water + coffee?

A gallon of strongly brewed real coffee, sure. Or do a lukewarm steep or even a cold brew. They will all yield a different coffee. But none will be the same as using instant coffee. I wonder what coffee liqueur from the store is made from. Some taste very artificial, or rely on tons of caramel notes for backbone.

Instant "coffee" must have lots of flavors and additives added, aside from the freeze dried coffee extract. That's perhaps where you get all the savory notes from. Salt is a great flavor booster! Maybe there is soy sauce in it.

You can always experiment with smaller batches, maybe a pint or quart size?

11 cups of sugar in 1 gallon of water and 1 quart of rocket fuel??? Would it even dissolve? Just the thought of that makes my teeth hurt. Maybe the coffee can balance out the sweet water......

It does seem like a lot, but the liqueur was definitely not "overly" sweet. There was some sweetness, but it really complimented the savory aspects of the coffee and did not compete with it. I made some homemade teriyaki sauce once, and the balance of the sweet and savory elements was similar - neither overwhelmed the other.

Having said that, Jeff noted that his wife tastes this as she goes, and sometimes doesn't add all of the sugar (or the Everclear, for that matter).

If you give it a shot, let me know how it goes and what you think.

Latest posts

Back