whats that stuff called

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me, an immediate scrub with Oxiclean and hot immersion chiller water gets almost all of it off. The rest I think of as tattoos for my brew pot. It's just trying to be an individual.

Someone I know suggested Bar Keepers Friend. I've never tried it, so I don't know if it works.

Maybe I have different stuff in my old (thinner) kettle, but how do you know what's beer stone and what's scorch marks? Do they look at all alike?

Every once in a while, I put a couple gallons of water in the bottom of the kettle and dose with PBW around 2oz per gallon and bring to around 180-190F for about an hour. I recirculate while doing this and the agitation causes the beer stone to release after a short while... I was amazed how much came off the first time I did it.

I use PBW about every 10-15 brews...my pot still looks new almost two years later. I sometimes soak it in starsan (not dilluted) or even saniclean (not dilluted) for a while...does the job very well. I try not to use anything harsh or abrasive to scrub my pot, basically only a sponge.

I think I remember a Brew Strong JZ/JP discussion where they said that caustic cleaners (PBW) are good for organic material and acidic cleaners are good for inorganic material (mineral deposit). Bar Keeper's Friend is an acidic cleanser and works well on the stuff PBW leaves behind.

Back