What's my alcohol content?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadm817

Reaction score
If I have not taken an OG or FG and my beer is "done"

Is there any way to tell the alcohol content?

Can I buy something to help me figure it out?

How come you don't know the OG or FG?
A hydrometer, next time.

What's your grain bill or recipe say the projected OG? Then what yeast did you use. We can give you a rough idea what your ABV should be around.

You can always get a brewing software like Beersmith, input your recipe, and it will tell you what your OG, FG, and ABV should be.

You can still measure the FG. Do you have a hydrometer?

If you measure the FG, just multiply the fractional part by 4 to get the rough ABV. E.g., if the FG is 1.015, multiply 15 times 4 = 60. The beer is 6.0% ABV.

(for those who care, as long as the yeast attenuation was 76%, which is a good guess, this always works).

White Labs offers a service where they will analyze your beer for alcohol content. You could buy several hydrometers for the price.

You just wasted my time! But I'm already here! Wtf were you thinking? Don't you care about your beer? Buy some equipment!!! A hydrometer, refractometer! That stuff is precious, you have to take care of it! Don't you take of your family! Drunk

Back