What's in your soup kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone do eggdrop? I used to make it all the time. It was automatic. I can't remember what I used to do now. I do remember ginger powder and green onions.

My wife reminds me sometimes that her ex-boyfriend's mom used to make REALLY good fried chicken and Egg Drop Soup.

I'd like to learn how to make it. It's a nice basic soup that's relatively healthy. I've tried a couple of times but have never gotten the flavor and consistency from the better Chinese restaurants I've had it at.

Oh. Haven't made it yet, but Turkey and Wild Rice soup is on the agenda immediately after the T-day festivities. I just have to keep the MIL from tossing out the carcass. I may just plan to cook the stock on T-day evening so it doesn't have time to go bye bye.

Oh. Haven't made it yet, but Turkey and Wild Rice soup is on the agenda immediately after the T-day festivities. I just have to keep the MIL from tossing out the carcass. I may just plan to cook the stock on T-day evening so it doesn't have time to go bye bye.

Mmm turkey stock :)

TOSSING OUT THE CARCASS??? OMG. I'd disown her! :p

Alas my kettle is empty at the moment, but I'm planning a Modelo Negra clone in the near future.

IMG_2111.jpg

A Ziploc and a freezer works wonders, all my trimming go in the bag till I have time/need.

77134-the-more-you-know-gif-Imgur-SlbQ.gif

I just kinda followed one I found on google, I think it was Emerils. It turned out really good. We had some turkey left over from a oil less fried turkey and used the fat drippings to make the roux, a one to one ratio with flour. So it had turkey, andouille sausage, onion, green bell, celery, vegetable stock, cayenne pepper, black pepper, creole seasoning served over rice and topped with chopped scallions.

TOSSING OUT THE CARCASS??? OMG. I'd disown her! :p

Believe me, I've thought about it more than once. I checked her van over this weekend and fixed a "grinding noise" that was a piece of trim and splash shield rubbing on her tire when she turned.

For all that she bought me a Star Wars rogue One T-shirt. So I can't disown her this year.

I did manage to simmer that carcass for a while T-day night. Didn't make soup yet sue to having so much food in the fridge right now!

Skimmed the fat and made turkey rice soup last night. Didn't have as much Wild Rice as I thought, so I don't really care to call it "Wild Rice Soup". It's a basic soup:

Softened onions, carrots, and celery in a pot. Added turkey juices. When boiling, added rice and simmered for a while. Added the pickings from the turkey and then needed to add more water and some stock flavoring (Too much meat!).

Then I added a bit of Belgian Wit Spices that we have been liking on our chicken.

Two full turkey carcasses, plus a breast carcass simmering away right now. Looking forward to turning into dumplings and another soup.

The dumplings turned out great:
15267642_1181915128540201_5508345511206151405_n.jpg

Curious about your turkey Gumbo recipe/process.

Here's my turkey gumbo recipe. I never follow it exactly; I improvise based on what I have available. You should be able to substitute leftover turkey and store bought chicken stock.

Also, lately I've started roasting the flour in the oven until it looks like cocoa (be careful not to burn it!) instead of making a roux. It's a pain in the butt to do, but I can roast a pound or so of flour at a time. It keeps forever in the pantry, and it really saves time when making gumbo.

Bob's Turkey Gumbo
(adapted from a recipe in Chile Pepper magazine)

2 large turkey legs
2 chicken bouillon cubes
3 quarts water
2 pounds sliced okra
1/2 cup oil (divided)
1/2 cup flour
1 large bell pepper, chopped
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic
1 (20 ounce) can tomatoes
1 1/2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
1 large bay leaf
2 stalks celery
garlic powder (optional)
1 teaspoon each: cayenne, thyme, basil, black pepper

Boil or pressure-cook the turkey, water, bouillon cubes, and bay leaf until meat is tender. Remove turkey legs from stock and allow to cool; remove meat from bones, chop, set aside. Break the bones and add back to stock, with skin, gristle, etc. Put on back burner to simmer. Meanwhile, saute okra in 1/4 cup oil in a heavy pot until all ropiness is gone (about 1 hour). Combine remaining 1/4 cup oil and flour in an iron skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until flour is chocolate brown. Be careful not to burn it! Add onions, celery, garlic and bell pepper to the roux and saute until tender. Add roux-vegetables mixture to the okra, add tomatoes, meat, strained turkey stock, cayenne, black pepper and thyme. Add another bay leaf or two if you like bay leaves. Simmer, partially covered for half hour. Add basil and salt, simmer another 10 minutes. Adjust seasoning with salt and/or garlic powder, if needed. Serve over long-grain white rice.

Here's my turkey gumbo recipe. I never follow it exactly; I improvise based on what I have available. You should be able to substitute leftover turkey and store bought chicken stock.

Also, lately I've started roasting the flour in the oven until it looks like cocoa (be careful not to burn it!) instead of making a roux. It's a pain in the butt to do, but I can roast a pound or so of flour at a time. It keeps forever in the pantry, and it really saves time when making gumbo.

Bob's Turkey Gumbo
(adapted from a recipe in Chile Pepper magazine)

2 large turkey legs
2 chicken bouillon cubes
3 quarts water
2 pounds sliced okra
1/2 cup oil (divided)
1/2 cup flour
1 large bell pepper, chopped
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic
1 (20 ounce) can tomatoes
1 1/2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
1 large bay leaf
2 stalks celery
garlic powder (optional)
1 teaspoon each: cayenne, thyme, basil, black pepper

Boil or pressure-cook the turkey, water, bouillon cubes, and bay leaf until meat is tender. Remove turkey legs from stock and allow to cool; remove meat from bones, chop, set aside. Break the bones and add back to stock, with skin, gristle, etc. Put on back burner to simmer. Meanwhile, saute okra in 1/4 cup oil in a heavy pot until all ropiness is gone (about 1 hour). Combine remaining 1/4 cup oil and flour in an iron skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until flour is chocolate brown. Be careful not to burn it! Add onions, celery, garlic and bell pepper to the roux and saute until tender. Add roux-vegetables mixture to the okra, add tomatoes, meat, strained turkey stock, cayenne, black pepper and thyme. Add another bay leaf or two if you like bay leaves. Simmer, partially covered for half hour. Add basil and salt, simmer another 10 minutes. Adjust seasoning with salt and/or garlic powder, if needed. Serve over long-grain white rice.

Store bought stock as a last resort, since it usually tastes like water. If you have leftover turkey, then you have (or had) the makings of homemade stock. I know stock is not expensive, but I have not found a brand that comes close to home made.

Speaking of stock, we had some shrimp in the freezer that got freezer burned, so rather than throw it out, I put it in a pot of water with salt & pepper plus an onion and boiled it for about an hour, then left the lid off so it could concentrate some. I started with 8 cups of water, and we ended up with about 6 cups of stock - 1 pint in a sauce for some fish we had and a quart in the freezer.

It will get used up this week in cod chowder.

If you work it right, almost any kind of stock is practically free. This shrimp would have gone in the trash.

Store bought stock as a last resort, since it usually tastes like water. If you have leftover turkey, then you have (or had) the makings of homemade stock. I know stock is not expensive, but I have not found a brand that comes close to home made.

Usually the ones with lots of protein are good

Not very cold here today, but I have a crockpot of anasazi beans going with onion, garlic, tomato, cumin and roasted green and red chilis my sister gave me from New Mexico. No meat in it, but you want miss it.

Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana and Pasta e Fagioli for an Xmas party. No pics, but you can visit the OG website if you are curious. Just imagine their soups with more stuff in it!

I bought a big package of chicken legs at Aldi (on sale for 69 cents a pound) and roasted them, and they were way too salty. So I pressure cooked them for 20 minutes in a couple of quarts of water. Took the legs out to cool, and added carrots, onions, celery, black pepper, and a little thyme to the broth and simmered until the vegetables were soft but not mushy. Picked the meat off the bones and added it back, and simmered another minute or two.

It's good even without any noodles or rice.

Some Christmas ham turned into ham and bean soup two days ago, and the balance turned into ham and potato soup tonight.

Latest posts

Back