What's in a taproom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Why do you go?

• Location / Convenience / How do I make it home?

• Beer quality is king, nothing else matters

• I don't pay attention to the atmosphere

• Atmosphere is comfortable, inviting, low-key

• Atmosphere is high-energy, busy

• I know the brewer/owner/bartender

• Food availability

• Atmosphere is different/interesting compared to other options

Results are only viewable after voting.

ColoHox

Compulsive Hand Washer
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

We are in the process of making the jump...yes, that jump; lease is signed and our equipment is on a boat. It will be a family affair, for better or worse!

Once we've made a little more progress, I'd really like to start another thread (like Muddy's excellent walk-through) for everything else.

In the meantime, we are mapping out our space in preparation for licensing and construction and I wanted some feedback from this group about the taproom.

Pick your choice in the survey, and please post your thoughts. Things you would like to see, or cool things you've noticed at other places.

We are very spoiled around here (Colorado), in that there are plenty of beers/breweries to choose from. That said, we also have to stand out. We have noticed very similar themes among many places...reclaimed wood tables/walls, corrugated metal, painted open ceilings, stained concrete floors. I get why though, a cheaper construction finish means more money to spend on making the beer. Budget is, of course, a concern.

Other surveys we have taken indicate that this "theme" employed by many taprooms is not generally preferred by females (a major target for us), and some comment that the atmosphere feels cheap or unfinished.

If you aren't at home drinking your own brew, and the overall beer quality is equal, how do you choose a taproom?

In order-ish of importance:

1) Nearby (reasonable driving distance).
2) Has beer.
3) Has beer that I like
4) Or have not yet tried.
5) Variety
6) Atmosphere. The comfortable/inviting/low key one. I'm over crowded/loud venues.
7) Some food would be nice. I'm kinda hungry.
8) Why do you people never have enough comfortable places to sit? I don't want to stand and drink like some kind of @$$hole.
9) Friendly/knowledgeable staff.
10) Prices

Wishing you good luck and fortune with your endeavor. :mug:

Marketing can be a tricky process and even with the best tools, there are always many intangibles that are not easily quantifiable. Why are some places so successful? What's the key? That's the big question.

BTW, the survey looks familiar, did you run something like this before?

The preference for a low-key setting with comfortable seating is becoming pretty clear from other surveys.

One place we visited had a session IPA, an IPA, an IPA with special hops, DIPA, IIPA...you get the idea. Is 5 beers of diverse styles enough variety? From my perspective, 5 well-made classic styles are better than 10 beers of similar styles or weird things.

In order-ish of importance:

1) Nearby (reasonable driving distance).
3) Has beer that I like
6) Atmosphere. The comfortable/inviting/low key one. I'm over crowded/loud venues.
7) Some food would be nice. I'm kinda hungry.
8) Why do you people never have enough comfortable places to sit? I don't want to stand and drink like some kind of @$$hole.
9) Friendly/knowledgeable staff.

I agree with Hunter on these points. There are a few low-key bars close to me that feature Blue Moon as their best beer. Why? We have a lot of local craft beer. Get some. Atmosphere is the most important, especially if I am going to get my wife to go out with me. Definitely chill, we don't like people being loud, throwing down cheap beer like they're in college and getting rowdy. Too many tv's and music makes it distracting.

There is never enough room at bars. Too many people snag a stool or two and sit there, regardless if they are drinking or just grabbing a side of fries. Nothing is more deterring for us than having to try to buy another beer by reaching through someone who is at the bar just texting. We have left numerous establishments for the soul reason it took much too long to get another drink.

I think it really depends on your market though. Is it going to be in a college district or are you going to attract blue/white collar workers?

Congratulations and good luck. Keep us updated.

Wishing you good luck and fortune with your endeavor. :mug:

Marketing can be a tricky process and even with the best tools, there are always many intangibles that are not easily quantifiable. Why are some places so successful? What's the key? That's the big question.

BTW, the survey looks familiar, did you run something like this before?

Thanks, and no, I have not asked anything like this yet...and didn't check if anyone else had.

You're right, it is hard to pinpoint why some places succeed and others fail. We are doing target market analysis pretty heavily. Results so far indicate a desire for a buisness-professional atmosphere that is available during lunch/late afternoon working hours for business events or private event rooms. This is kind-of out of the norm with other breweries around town.

Our female respondents are looking for a place that feels natural, well-lit, with a clean finish, and a diverse selection of beers. So far, very few comments about price.

I have never cared for the industrial look either.
You did leave out a few important things..... are you serving food? hosting private gatherings, showing sports on tv, pool tables? Dancing? Music? Live entertainment? Answering these and probably many others will help define what your bar will look like. If you are wanting to cater to women is it the sewing machine, stay at home mom type or is it the high powered, ball busting, lawyer type?
Bars are not a one size fits all kind of thing. You definitely don't want the writer of the article this thread is referring to be frequenting your establishment. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f45/seriously-518195/

Is 5 beers of diverse styles enough variety?

I would consider 5 the minimum to feel like I had a variety of choices, but certainly adequate, especially starting out.

From my perspective, 5 well-made classic styles are better than 10 beers of similar styles or weird things.

I would tend to agree with you.

Good luck on your venture. Keep us posted as it progresses for sure.

There is never enough room at bars. Too many people snag a stool or two and sit there, regardless if they are drinking or just grabbing a side of fries. Nothing is more deterring for us than having to try to buy another beer by reaching through someone who is at the bar just texting. We have left numerous establishments for the soul reason it took much too long to get another drink.

I think it really depends on your market though. Is it going to be in a college district or are you going to attract blue/white collar workers?

Congratulations and good luck. Keep us updated.

Thank you! You make a great point...maybe there is a way to order beers without squeezing up to the bar, and also without table service.

Our market is middle to upper income, 28-58 years, about 1:1 male to female, in an area with very close residential areas (neighboorhood pub-ish) and heavily trafficked middle to upper income shopping, hence targeting of the business-lunch, business meeting crowd. We are working on trade relationships with the other businesses in the area to attract traffic.

I have never cared for the industrial look either.
You did leave out a few important things..... are you serving food? hosting private gatherings, showing sports on tv, pool tables? Dancing? Music? Live entertainment? Answering these and probably many others will help define what your bar will look like. If you are wanting to cater to women is it the sewing machine, stay at home mom type or is it the high powered, ball busting, lawyer type?
Bars are not a one size fits all kind of thing. You definitely don't want the writer of the article this thread is referring to be frequenting your establishment. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f45/seriously-518195/

Great points. Due to licensing, we cannot serve food. We can serve prepackaged food, and have already established a relationship with our neighbor (popular island-themed grocer) to offer their food.

Private gatherings are going to be important for us. Also, we are opting to not have TV's in the bar area, and instead isolate them to a specific area out of the way...survey says; darts and other small games in this area too. No pool tables, no dancing, light music, maybe live entertainment. We are not going for the classic bar scene, save the bar and the beer of course.

Our target woman is kind of in between your options. Young, mostly working, likely younger kids, very active and with disposable income. We need to offer them a place that doesn't feel like they are just going to a bar in the middle of the day.

Already you are starting to define what your bar should be like. .. 1or 2 private rooms, library, lunch. I'm seeing wood paneled walls for the back half of the establishment with large bay windows for the the front areas with at least 2 meeting rooms. Need to have at least a lunch menu.

We are not going for the classic bar scene, save the bar and the beer of course.

I love the 'bring your own food' idea. Maybe you can get some menu's from local establishments that will deliver. You serve the alcohol and reap the benefits of people drinking more to go with good food. Worst case, you have to get something salty to offer.

With the help of you neighborhood the food will be there then but it may cut down on the lunch crowd and lunch meetings. It will really depend on the relationship you establish with other businesses.

Congrats on the new venture.

Joining in on what others have said, 5 really great beers is a minimum. I'd shoot for at least 10 to start - depending on space / size constraints.

Also, to me, I think your staff is probably the single biggest influence on repeat business. As you said, there is no shortage of good to great beer in Colorado. I have 2 tap houses & 5+ breweries between my house and my office (11-15 mile drive depending on the route i take), yet 1 tap house and 1 brewery get 75-85% of my business. Those two locations have staff who make me feel welcome, if I'm stopping for 1 beer on the way home, out with my wife, or hanging with friends for a night out.

Why have you walked out of a bar/taproom and said "we are not going back there again."

For me, it is un-navigable crowds, mediocre beer, or same-ness. And not along the lines of everyone can make a stout, but more that it feels like everywhere else.

Maybe the ubiquity of this industrial look is less important for others. Why would I go back to your place if it looks and feels just like this place, which is closer.

Here's my take on a few of the breweries in my town, and what makes some betther than others, in my opinion.

1. The brewery closest to me is the oldest one in town, and I hate going there. The food is terrible, it's attached to the mall, so it's always crazy busy, the beer is warm, and not very good. I really wish the beer were better because it would be very convenient. Somehow they've been very successful for a long time, but I just don't get it.

2. My favorite brewery in town is still pretty close, but I wouldn't mind driving a bit farther to get there. Not only is their beer outstanding (best IPA in the state, hands down), but all the employees are extremely friendly and helpful, and the owners do a lot for the local homebrewing community. We hold our monthly club meetings there, they've sponsored several group brews in the past, helped with group grain buys, etc. They recently expanded and about tripled their space. They're doing very well, and I'm sure it's because of their superior quality beer. The taproom has a good variety, and I'm never disappointed with the quality. There's also a food truck out front Thursday-Saturday (something you might want to look into, it works well if there's also a good food truck community where you are).

3. The industrial look works for most of the breweries because of the town history. Several of them are near the train tracks, and one of them is in an old train depot. The one in the depot is my favorite location, but I don't care for their beer. They're also doing well and expanding, but I don't go there much. I think part of their success is from deciding to start canning early on.

4. There are a couple with excellent food, but they're too far for me to justify going often. One of them has pretty good beer, and the other has very mediocre beer. They do alright with the nearby crowd, but they're not the kind of place that will draw people from way across town.

5. The newest brewery in town has a prime location in the middle of downtown, which works well in a college town. They have excellent beer and it's packed every time I go there. They've only been open since October, but they can barely keep up with demand and will be expanding soon.

I guess that turned into a bit of an incoherent rambling, but hopefully it's helpful. In my eyes, the "theme" is heavily dependent on your town and neighborhood history, and everything other than superior quality beer can be worked around.

Congrats on the new venture.

Joining in on what others have said, 5 really great beers is a minimum. I'd shoot for at least 10 to start - depending on space / size constraints.

Also, to me, I think your staff is probably the single biggest influence on repeat business. As you said, there is no shortage of good to great beer in Colorado. I have 2 tap houses & 5+ breweries between my house and my office (11-15 mile drive depending on the route i take), yet 1 tap house and 1 brewery get 75-85% of my business. Those two locations have staff who make me feel welcome, if I'm stopping for 1 beer on the way home, out with my wife, or hanging with friends for a night out.

Thank you, fellow Coloradoan. 10 beers is just too many. The overhead required to have 10 beers on tap is just too high to start...unless we have an industrial finish on your tap room... :p We will likely need more than 5 beers after a year though.

Excellent points about the staff, exactly what I was looking for. Is it friendliness? Knowledge of the beer? Returning customer recongnition...probably all of the above.

Any of you participate in a loyalty program at a particular brewery?

One item I always enjoy is a beer that is only available in the taproom. Something a bit exotic or rare, for example a barrel aged version of one of your standard beers, a trial batch that may or may not be released in the future, a commercial version of your last homebrew competition's winning beer. These things appeal to the beer geek in me without being too beer snobbish.

Here's my take on a few of the breweries in my town, and what makes some betther than others, in my opinion.

I guess that turned into a bit of an incoherent rambling, but hopefully it's helpful. In my eyes, the "theme" is heavily dependent on your town and neighborhood history, and everything other than superior quality beer can be worked around.

Good points, you will travel a little further for good beer in the right environment.

And good point about community integration, people really pay attention to that around here.

Part of our issue is the local "theme" is so over done. We are making a conscious effort to stand out...to be able to sell more beer, to attract people who are tired of the "theme," and attract a group of people who many not necessarily pick a taproom as their first choice.

That leads us to a finished feel, well lit, light colors, quiet and comfortable. We aren't sure what this looks like quite yet though.

Excellent points about the staff, exactly what I was looking for. Is it friendliness? Knowledge of the beer? Returning customer recongnition...probably all of the above.

Any of you participate in a loyalty program at a particular brewery?

All of the above. Start with friendliness and some beer knowledge. Recognition is nice, but I'm not regular enough at either place that i expect them to know my name. But a 'haven't seen you in here in awhile' at least acknowledges I've been there before.
Growler fill cards are good at breweries (10 growler fills gets you a free one). Not sure how to work that concept at a tap house.

Location: the better the beer, the further I'll travel for it. If you make kick-ass beers, then move out to the sticks and people will find you. If your beers are merely decent and occasionally really good, then you might want to consider moving closer to your customer base.

Atmosphere: AKA "the icing on the cake." Good icing makes a bad cake more palatable, but it's a waste of good icing. If the cake is excellent but the icing is really bad, then it's a waste of a good cake. I guess what I'm saying here is that atmosphere (to me) is not a "make or break" kind of thing, but it does award bonus points. It's nice to take friends from out of town to a place with a good decor, but for the regulars it's not as important.

Activity of the place: You can't really control this, unless you're willing to hire people to sit in seats or are willing to kick people out in order to keep a certain percentage of seats empty. My favorite local place is busy as all get-out on weekends. I wish it wasn't as busy, but I understand why it is and deal with it.

Know the bartender / owner: It's nice, but not critical. If you hang out at a place long enough then you'll get to know the bartender / owner anyway.

Food availability: That's a tough one. Most taprooms around here don't bother and just schedule food trucks to come and serve food. That seems to work well. If I were starting out, I think that's the route I'd go.

Atmosphere is different: Going out on a limb with your theme is going to really attract some people, will drive others away, so I personally think it's a zero-sum game. It certainly does get people talking, though, and that's what a lot of beginning taprooms need.

There's a place in Montgomery, AL where the owner is very interactive with the patrons. He's chatting beer, popping bottles of hard to find stuff and giving small samples, etc. It is clear that he likes being there, likes beer and wants you to like being there too. Easily the best bar I've been to.

Opening up where you're at is definitely going to require some finesse in the planning. I would say staff, selection, comfort, parking, and location are key. I have a place I frequent but it's becoming a place I'm thinking of letting go of due to a staff member. My alternative is to stay home a bit more or drive further.

A brewery opened up very close to me but I find their style boring so I go there and find myself having one or two and leaving. I'd like to find a place where I can stay longer. They have comfortable bar seats, plenty of seating normally, parking is being worked out but that was a huge turn off before, and it has nice neutral colors and it is well lit. It is just their beer for me that is not diverse enough. They do well though, I believe. They came in with gobs of money and the pipeline won't run out most likely.

So for you, I'd want all of that and definitely a reason to come there over the other well established places that are already open. Food is a factor as well or at least snacks.

Good luck.

Why have you walked out of a bar/taproom and said "we are not going back there again."

As mentioned previously, if I can not get a drink. I'm 6'3", a bartender can see me. If I'm waiting too long without even getting acknowledged, I'm out. This ties in to your staff, they have to be amazing. I can even excuse a lack of knowledge about beer if they are friendly and sincere. There is a bar one block from my house that has one beer on tap that I like, but the bartender is amazing. Once a week I'll go in after work when they just open, to chill out and have one or two beers and leave a healthy tip. The bartender is the main reason the place is worth going to in order to blow-off a little steam and relax.

If the place is dirty, I likely won't come back too often. It does not take a lot of effort to clean as long as you do not run a business with a mess of random objects hanging on the wall. When I design restaurants/bars, they are often built with maintenance and cleaning fairly high on the priority list. Keeping your bar in great shape is key, just like being healthy and forming bad habits. Once a building starts getting dirty, its health can rapidly decline.

Opening up where you're at is definitely going to require some finesse in the planning. I would say staff, selection, comfort, parking, and location are key. I have a place I frequent but it's becoming a place I'm thinking of letting go of due to a staff member. My alternative is to stay home a bit more or drive further.

A brewery opened up very close to me but I find their style boring so I go there and find myself having one or two and leaving. I'd like to find a place where I can stay longer. They have comfortable bar seats, plenty of seating normally, parking is being worked out but that was a huge turn off before, and it has nice neutral colors and it is well lit. It is just their beer for me that is not diverse enough. They do well though, I believe. They came in with gobs of money and the pipeline won't run out most likely.

So for you, I'd want all of that and definitely a reason to come there over the other well established places that are already open. Food is a factor as well or at least snacks.

Good luck.

Thanks. You hit on some of the other comments we've had with neutral colors and lighting. Maybe it is a subconscious thing at first, but it seems to be important when people reflect back. And you're right, this area is a pretty competitive market, which is why we are trying to find particular draws and dislikes...we already know that parking will be an issue. What about that particular selection made it not diverse enough?

Location and variety are what matters to me. I prefer more laidback taphouses, but I'll gladly go to more hip ones as well.

There are several breweries around here that have 5 or 6 taps. Thats good enough for me, though those are usually specialist breweries and not generalists.

I think a lot can be done to a minimalist industrial looking taproom, by lowering the lights and adding some sound baffling. Most are painfully echo-y and have the taproom lit like you light the brewery itself. (Whereas most peoples idea of the perfect bar would be candlelight dark) One of the better brewery taprooms ive been in in my local area; the brewery is in the basement of a large building, and the tap room is a small room off the side with some wooden tables. But the lower ceiling, and dark lighting make it cozier than usual.

The other main problem, is the crowds at many taprooms. Its a different demographic than the somewhat divey neighborhood bar I rather hang out at. The crowd at a brewery are (to grossly over-generalize) 40, male, middle manager/computer programmer yuppie types, who talk far too loudly/self importantly, and are into growlers. Its really not my cup of tea. I go for the beer, but not the conversation with the crowd. And will have difficulty getting any of my friends to go, cause even if the taproom is better than all that, and many smaller ones are, thats the stereotypical perception of all brewery taprooms.

Size of a beer: The sampler pack is too small and I do not want several different beers and a 12 oz is too large, have available 10 oz available. I stop in to try beer and feel that I know enough to know what I am ordering don't need a sampler. If I have 2 12 oz and one is a little high on the % then thats it. Need to drive. If the I could order a smaller draft then I would feel better to have 3.

Anyone here remember when a draft glass was only available in 10 oz?

Just my thought,
sfish

I think a lot can be done to a minimalist industrial looking taproom, by lowering the lights and adding some sound baffling. Most are painfully echo-y and have the taproom lit like you light the brewery itself. (Whereas most peoples idea of the perfect bar would be candlelight dark) One of the better brewery taprooms ive been in in my local area; the brewery is in the basement of a large building, and the tap room is a small room off the side with some wooden tables. But the lower ceiling, and dark lighting make it cozier than usual.

The other main problem, is the crowds at many taprooms. Its a different demographic than the somewhat divey neighborhood bar I rather hang out at. The crowd at a brewery are (to grossly over-generalize) 40, male, middle manager/computer programmer yuppie types, who talk far too loudly/self importantly, and are into growlers. Its really not my cup of tea. I go for the beer, but not the conversation with the crowd. And will have difficulty getting any of my friends to go, cause even if the taproom is better than all that, and many smaller ones are, thats the stereotypical perception of all brewery taprooms.

Good comments. One of the big issues with the industrial finish is how floccing loud it can get. We are also keenly aware of specific lighting needs. I pay particular attention to lighting, and I think it can really make a place stand out without too much effort or cost.

Yep, we've all seen that guy, some of us are probably that guy. Not to count our eggs before they hatch, but we aren't really concerned with drawing that crowd...if you build it they will come sort of thing. We are really trying to focus much of our energy on those people who may not normally pick a taproom, maybe because of "that guy." I'm envisioning a "well actually" section.

In my area, there is a taproom and craft beer shop that has successfully made beer into as fun, diverse, and intriguing a drink as wine. I don't mean to speak ill of beer, obviously. But in my area, the extended suburbs of NYC, wine is still the typical choice of the affluent, self-professed urban sophisticate. It is certainly the choice of most women. I'm referring to the stay-at-home AND balls-busting type; where I live they are often one and the same. :)

So back to the venue I mention: They have 16 rotating beers on tap, and use a multi-colored chalkboard with a live webcam so you can log in and see what's available tonight. When I was last there, a couple of IPAs were joined by porter, Belgians, pils, oatmeal stout, brown ales, etc. - from several states. They make a point of showing you the ABV, brewery name, location, and other fun trivia on the giant chalkboard. You can order pints, 8 oz glasses, or a flight of any four 4 oz servings. Tiny plastic cups are provided for free tasting before ordering, which they willingly dispense as part of the ritual. (Wow)

The kicker is that about 1/3 of the space is a 700 bottle craft beer retail area that you can browse while drinking, and (of course) purchase from. There is a full food offering consisting of bar-friendly but delicious items prepared on premises, like chili, wings, pizza, and very fresh hot pretzels with seasonings on them.

There's a large flat screen TV with sports hanging up high, but the volume is off. The place does get a bit loud, but I enjoyed going with my wife and having dinner plus numerous beverages. We walked out with two mixed six packs as well as a t-shirt and a growler with the place's logo.

In short, this venue has created an experience as well as just the food and drink, and you can commemorate it with a souvenir if you like. We'll definitely be back.

Thanks. You hit on some of the other comments we've had with neutral colors and lighting. Maybe it is a subconscious thing at first, but it seems to be important when people reflect back. And you're right, this area is a pretty competitive market, which is why we are trying to find particular draws and dislikes...we already know that parking will be an issue. What about that particular selection made it not diverse enough?

Two issues have made my list...selection and in the case of this brewery, it is a supposed true english style only. Nothing more. A guest tap here and there, but I tire of the style. The other issue I've faced and found myself looking for another place to go is when all beers are high ABV. I'm driving, that means I nurse two beers over a couple hours or I call Uber...on a Wednesday. I'd like some lower ABV beers mixed with higher ones.

I might have missed it, but is it beer only or a full bar? If it hasn't been mentioned already, I think a large outside area is a must. Somewhere with additional seating that kids and pets can run around would make it appeal more to a non-college set.

I might have missed it, but is it beer only or a full bar? If it hasn't been mentioned already, I think a large outside area is a must. Somewhere with additional seating that kids and pets can run around would make it appeal more to a non-college set.

We will be serving our beer only. Similar to what McKnuckle described a few posts earlier, we will also have a 1000sqft. beer only retail section.

Yes, a patio is a must. Our patio will be small, proportionally to our space, but we will have one. For the most part, I think people are okay with dogs around, and it may encourage people to come by. Kids on the other hand... ;)

One item I always enjoy is a beer that is only available in the taproom. Something a bit exotic or rare, for example a barrel aged version of one of your standard beers, a trial batch that may or may not be released in the future, a commercial version of your last homebrew competition's winning beer. These things appeal to the beer geek in me without being too beer snobbish.

I'm with this. It's going to be hard to do with only ~5 beers, but if a brewery happens to be a packaging brewery and sells at the store, I'm not going to their tap room to drink the same stuff I can buy at the supermarket.

Likewise, if the beer you serve is basically a carbon-copy of the beer styles I find everywhere else, I'm not likely to come by too often, unless your quality is outstanding.

That said, if you too far on the specialty beers, the place will be a "beer geek" joint and not accessible to your target demographic.

Any idea on what core styles you're looking to serve?

Shoes, money, chickens, dangerous staircases, cameras, food, repurposed sex toys, cast iron, crock pots or slow cookers (we're not sure), power tools, guns, sand, motorcycles, thin glass, unused cleaning supplies, assorted booze and booze like beverages, a chess set, lots of dice, dogs and cats, some fish, a turtle, asshokes, trucks, Pri, fancy wood furniture, leaky backed up pipes, hazardous brew sculptures, stains, blood stains, a lot of computers, ponies, electrical fires, and food in various stages of digestion. That's whut's in the tap room.

Shoes, money, chickens, dangerous staircases, cameras, food, repurposed sex toys, cast iron, crock pots or slow cookers (we're not sure), power tools, guns, sand, motorcycles, thin glass, unused cleaning supplies, assorted booze and booze like beverages, a chess set, lots of dice, dogs and cats, some fish, a turtle, asshokes, trucks, Pri, fancy wood furniture, leaky backed up pipes, hazardous brew sculptures, stains, blood stains, a lot of computers, ponies, electrical fires, and food in various stages of digestion. That's whut's in the tap room.

I'm hoping for money and blood stains.

I'm with this. It's going to be hard to do with only ~5 beers, but if a brewery happens to be a packaging brewery and sells at the store, I'm not going to their tap room to drink the same stuff I can buy at the supermarket.

Likewise, if the beer you serve is basically a carbon-copy of the beer styles I find everywhere else, I'm not likely to come by too often, unless your quality is outstanding.

That said, if you too far on the specialty beers, the place will be a "beer geek" joint and not accessible to your target demographic.

Any idea on what core styles you're looking to serve?

Most of the brewers around here also distribute to other bars, and more are starting to package. You can really find everyone's beers pretty much everywhere. There needs to be a reason that you will come to our place and stay for a while...events, atmosphere, quality.

Tentative lineup:
Quad
Kolsch
American Rye
Common
IIPA
Flanders Red
Barrel aged Quad

Seems like everyone else starts with blonde, brown, ipa, stout...etc.

We wanted a similar range of flavors and styles, just without hitting the usuals right away. We will of course make those other common styles as we figure out our fermentation schedule and equipment.

You only said sand once. You also didn't mention foot races. There should be so much sand that you can recreate all of world's major deserts and run marathons across them all.

I don't think I've ever seen a taproom with sand volleyball courts...

My local brew store opened up a taproom with food last summer. It has over 30 beers on tap as well as cider and some wine, and it is always different every time I go there. You can sit and have beer, full up a growler to go and also pay for your grains and yeast at the table too. Here is their current tap list http://www.abvpub.com/

My local brew store opened up a taproom with food last summer. It has over 30 beers on tap as well as cider and some wine, and it is always different every time I go there. You can sit and have beer, full up a growler to go and also pay for your grains and yeast at the table too. Here is their current tap list http://www.abvpub.com/

We are looking at something like this. It depends on licensing though, CO has weird Alcohol laws. We would like to sell basic home-brewing ingredients in the beer retail portion of our store.

Latest posts

Back