What's going on with my fermentation? Done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gone_fishing

Reaction score
Brewing Monk in the Yunk Belgian Tripel recipe from Keystone Homebrew in PA. Brewed on the 15th. Had a blow out and had to remove airlock and use siphon tube for blow off tube.

Stats:
Recipe Actual
OG 1.085 1.080 7/15 (Brew day)
1st 1.020 7/29
FG 1.018 1.022 7/31

http://www.keystonehomebrew.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Manayunk-Belgian-Tripel.pdf

I am not good at reading the hydrometer. My wife is the scientist, I'm just a dumb, drunk sales guy, so reading instruments isn't my strong suit.

Over the weekend it cooled off here so we turned off the AC and opened up the windows. The next day it warmed up and I heard it bubble a few times. on the 29th when I opened up the bucket I found a lot of thick foam. Left it 2 days and today it's still there. What do I do?

32qo.jpg

Thanks folks. I know I am a noob but I am a quick learner. I'll just enjoy my Troegs Nugget Nectar while I await advice. :mug:

I don't understand a couple of things... first, are you saying 8/.../.. as in august? Do you mean July? as in, this month?

Are you saying that your gravity actually rose after the first time you checked??

Looks like it needs another week or more to me. Especially with those numbers.

I don't know if the numbers are even close to accurate tho... according to the numbers his gravity rose from the 29th the 31st, right? 1.020 to 1.022?

J187 said:
I don't know if the numbers are even close to accurate tho... according to the numbers his gravity rose from the 29th the 31st, right? 1.020 to 1.022?

He said he's not good at reading the hydrometer. Probably a mistake and still at 1.020.

He said he's not good at reading the hydrometer. Probably a mistake and still at 1.020.

Prob a mistake, but I'm not sure if it was and is still at 1.020 or if it was and still is 1.022 - there'd be a good difference there. At 1.020, he may have reached FG, at 1.022 he might have 4 points to go.

I'd give it a week too and spend the week really learning how to read the hydrometer. It will be an imperative skill to have moving forward. Good luck!

The reading today was very accurate. Monday was iffy because it was the first time I used the hydrometer. My wife helped me with first batch.

Doh, I jumped the gun and changed my calender. Meant July dates, not August.

My thoughts were to let the head settle for another week.

The reading today was very accurate. Monday was iffy because it was the first time I used the hydrometer. My wife helped me with first batch.

Doh, I jumped the gun and changed my calender. Meant July dates, not August.

My thoughts were to let the head settle for another week.

LOL at the dates...

You got a good reading to work with then! Your gravity was 1.022 today. Check it a week from a today and if it is still 1.022, it's done fermenting as much as it will. If it's lower at all, then wait 2 more days and check it again - if it's stable then, it's done.

It's a big beer - higher gravity and a good ABV. If this was me, I'd leave it in the primary fermenter (no secondary) for 4 weeks. Then I'd check my gravity and bottle. Also, I'd probably start drinking it right away when it was done because I'm impatient - around 2-3 weeks after bottling. But I'd go SLOW on it and let the majority of it age in the bottles for at least a couple more months. Big Belgians like this like to be aged. I did a big Belgian dubbel last fall and after around 6 months it became infinitely better!!!

UPDATE: I let the beer sit and was patient. The foam finally settled. I bottled today and it looked good. I tasted the last 1/2 bottle and it tasted right to me. I'll try to be patient again by letting it condition for 4 weeks before trying a bottle on my wife's birthday. This batch was a surprise batch for her.

That should def net you some brownie points with her. Brew something next time you both like! by then,you should be able to get away with somemore brewing swag!;)

Back