What yeast to use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James0816

Reaction score
With so many yeasts out there, how do you know what yeast to use?

I usually use D47 for cider and 1118 for wine. Pretty much all I have played with at this point.

How do you figure out which ice cream flavor to buy?

You try different ones and see what you like the most :)

I'm mainly making ciders and wine.

With so many choices to choose from, well .....
The only wine I ever make is mead and I mostly use the 1118.
I've never used an actual cider yeast to make cider; the last one I made was with S-189 at 54f which turned out pretty good.

Good afternoon,

Interesting question. I - almost exclusively - use Lalvin/Lallemand 71B for mead. It leaves a fuller mouthfeel and enhances varietal characteristic. D47's a fine choice, though, and leaves interesting aromas, IIRC.

My yeast of choice for cider is Lallemand/Danstar's Windsor (London) yeast. I've used wine yeast in the past and it leaves the end result far too dry and with too little apple character. Windsor does a great job and preserves the apple character in the finished product. I sulfite my ciders in the secondary, however.

YMMV,
Will E.

With so many yeasts out there, how do you know what yeast to use?

I usually use D47 for cider and 1118 for wine. Pretty much all I have played with at this point.

Back