What Yeast(s) should I use in a Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calder

Reaction score
Northern Brewer had a promotion (still going until the end of today) where you get a free Big Mouth Bubbler with the purchase of 2 kits. Seemed like a good deal, so I now have 2 Brown Ale kits coming. I didn't get any yeast as I have plenty.

These are the first kits I've bought in years. Think I'll do them, as is, for the hell of it. My thoughts are to split it into 4 x 2.5 gallon batches and pitch a different yeast in each to see the difference.

Big question is: What yeasts to use?

Thinking of a US yeast (PacMan), Belgian (Chimay), Brett (Claussenii). Not sure what else to use. I am using Essex yeast (WLP022) going right now, so could use some slurry.

Sound like a good plan? Anyone have other Thoughts?

I've never used it but that WLP022 should fit the style just fine, a good healthy repitch and you should be golden!

I really like Wyeast's London Ale #1028. It makes a rich, clean brown ale.

I have had good luck with the WLP028 Edinburgh Ale. I have a brown on tap now that I fermented with it.

Back