What Yeast for my Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwing7486

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am still trying to determine what yeast to use in my oatmeal stout recipe below. I was planning on using nottingham yeast and mashing at a high temp (156) because of its high attenuation, but I have read some people have experienced a "tart" taste when using it in their stouts. I am trying to stay away from liquid yeasts, but if I got that route I am potentially looking at WLP013 or WLP002. Any feedback or suggestions?

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.36 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.24 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.25 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.85 gal
Estimated OG: 1.062 SG
Estimated Color: 33.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 28.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 77.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 88.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8 lbs 4.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 70.2 %
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 2 8.5 %
12.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.4 %
8.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.3 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 5 4.3 %
6.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6 3.2 %
6.0 oz Chocolate Malt (225.0 SRM) Grain 7 3.2 %
2.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 28.2 IBUs
1.0 pkg Nottingham (Danstar #-) [23.66 ml] Yeast 9 -

I use WLP001 for everything......EVERYTHING.
Stout...001,
APA...001,
Apfelwein...001
IPA...001
Porter...001
You get where I'm going with this.

I use WLP001 for everything......EVERYTHING.
Stout...001,
APA...001,
Apfelwein...001
IPA...001
Porter...001
You get where I'm going with this.

If I were to go that route I would probably go with US-05.

So many yeast options out there....makes my head spin sometimes lol

Quick answer: WLP037 Yorkshire Square

Nottingham is fine though. Ive used S04 in porters/stouts before.

I'd go simpler with the recipe though.

65% MO
20% Flaked oatmeal
15% Roasted barley

Don't mash too high because the oatmeal will give you what you want in mouthfeel. 145 for 45 minutes, 156 for 15 (rather than full 60).

For 5 gallons, 2oz East Kent Goldings at 60 minutes

Shooting for 1.053

This combined with the yeast is basically Samuel Smiths Oatmeal Stout, which is among my favorites.

I just made a stout with American Ale II and really liked the results. It gave a bit of a citrusy flavor that goes very well with the chocolate and coffee.

Wyeast Irish Ale 1084 has always done well for me with stouts. Combined with the oatmeal it can help smooth an otherwise astringent stout.

Used WLP001 in a stout just recently, but it was for an American style stout, so I can't vouch for how well it works in a English style stout.

I've made a couple of good oatmeal stouts with the Wyeast Yorkshire Square yeast. Probably will never use another yeast for oatmeal stouts.

I have a house Oatmeal Stout that I've brewed over...and over...and over...and over. I've brewed it with lager yeasts, American Ale, English Ale, Irish Ale, Scottish Ale and probably a few more I'm forgetting. I LOVE Irish Ale for it, but I will admit that I just plain ole love Irish Ale yeast anyway. Usually use 1084.

Having said that I just bottled a batch of it that I brewed with 05, and it's fine. In fact if I can't get, or didn't want to use Irish Ale, 05 would be my next choice, as it was in this case. I don't care for English Ale yeast in that beer.

Edit:

What I love about the Irish Ale IS the flavor profile of that particular yeast, it's a really pleasant buttery, yeasty, bready sort of note. Not so fruity as the English Ale. The 05 is fine, just lacks the flavor profile of the Irish Ale that I actually love. Really subtle differences here though, I only learned what I liked by brewing that recipe over and over, which mostly happened because I dialed in my recipe too.

I have a house Oatmeal Stout that I've brewed over...and over...and over...and over. I've brewed it with lager yeasts, American Ale, English Ale, Irish Ale, Scottish Ale and probably a few more I'm forgetting. I LOVE Irish Ale for it, but I will admit that I just plain ole love Irish Ale yeast anyway. Usually use 1084.

Having said that I just bottled a batch of it that I brewed with 05, and it's fine. In fact if I can't get, or didn't want to use Irish Ale, 05 would be my next choice, as it was in this case. I don't care for English Ale yeast in that beer.

Edit:

What I love about the Irish Ale IS the flavor profile of that particular yeast, it's a really pleasant buttery, yeasty, bready sort of note. Not so fruity as the English Ale. The 05 is fine, just lacks the flavor profile of the Irish Ale that I actually love. Really subtle differences here though, I only learned what I liked by brewing that recipe over and over, which mostly happened because I dialed in my recipe too.

I have used Irish Ale yeast in my cream stouts before and came out excellent, but I want to try something different for my oatmeal stout.

I appreciate all the feedback from everyone, but I think I am leaning towards WLP002. Has a clean fermentation with little to no esters and has a slight sweetness which is exactly what I am looking for in this brew.

I have used Irish Ale yeast in my cream stouts before and came out excellent, but I want to try something different for my oatmeal stout.

I appreciate all the feedback from everyone, but I think I am leaning towards WLP002. Has a clean fermentation with little to no esters and has a slight sweetness which is exactly what I am looking for in this brew.

Should be good I love WLP002:mug:

Latest posts

Back