What would you say is the easiest, less time consuming & makes quality wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoreman

Reaction score
What would you say is the:

-Easiest
-Less Time consuming
-Control of Recipe
-Shortest brew day
-Produces awesome beer/wort

BIAB, Partial Mash, Batch Sparge

I've been doing all three of these recently to see which I would like to do moving forward and wonder what others think.

or

Any other ideas?

Well, that would probably be the BIAB method.

Are you really that concerned about cutting time from your brew day?

If so, maybe you should focus on extract brews with steeping specialty grains.

Any small beer with a no sparge technique. Time would be extract with specialty grains probably not all grain.

If you have been doing all 3 of them lately then you should have a pretty good idea of which you prefer to do, yes?

If it is all about cutting the time down you can look into "overnight mashing" and/or "no chill". Overnight mashing cuts your day in more than half and no chill will cut off about a half an hour.

Thanks for the quick responses.

The thing with the whole homebrewing process is that making Wort is my least favorite part - I like recipe formulation, fermentation & packaging in that order. If I would buy wort from a local brewery I would :D

I think I may outside the norm with the whole wort creation aspect but o well.

I'd say easiest so far is Partial Mash or BIAB but was wondering other people's take.

Yesterday was again 6 hours start to finish using BIAB.

1 Hour heating water
.25 hour grain addition
1 Hour Mash
.5 Hour Mash out
.5 Hour to Boil
1.25 Hour boil
.25 Hour chill
.25 Hour Drain, shake add yeast
.5 Hour clean up

I could probably reduce the heat/boil times with a good burner by about an hour, but that's about it. There's a lot of waiting time, so make sure you have something else to do around the house. Drinking helps too.

With batch sparging, it took me 4 hours and 10 minutes yesterday from the time I ran water til the time I finished clean up for a 5 gal. batch.

The thing with the whole homebrewing process is that making Wort is my least favorite part - I like recipe formulation, fermentation & packaging in that order. If I would buy wort from a local brewery I would :D

You could buy cans of hopped malt extract. Then all you need to go is a quick boil to sanitize, cool and pitch.

Using the BIAB technique I can start to finish a brew day in just over 4 hours. This does however require that I spend about an hour setting things up the night before. So total brew time is about 5 hours.

The night before
Gather total water volume needed in plastic jugs
Combine grain bill into milling bucket
Collect all needed equipment and ensure it is all clean

Brew day
10 minutes - Put water in Keggle and start heating
20 minutes - Crush grain while water heats up
10 minutes - Dough In
60 - 90 min - Mash rest (clean grain mill and milling buckets) (Drink a beer)
15 minutes - Mash out
10 minutes - Squeeze crap out of bag
15 minutes - Bring wort to a boil (clean grain bag) (Measure hop additions)
60 minutes - Boil with hop additions (Put away random stuff I don't need) (Drink a beer)
20 minutes - Cool wort
10 minutes - Transfer wort, aerate, pitch yeast
15 minutes - Clean (Drink a beer)
10 minutes - Drink a beer

BIAB, no sparge, with mashout.

If you really want to cut time out of your brew day, try doing a 20-30 minute mash with a 30 minute boil. Don't use pils malt due to DMS, but other malts work fine. Your efficiency may suffer a little, and you will use a bit more hops. I've now used this for three different beers and have had excellent results. Total time start to finish was 2.5 hours:
Heat water, measure grain, condition grain, grind grain: 30 min
Dough in, mash, mashout: 40 min
Boil: 40 min
Chill, oxygenate, put in fermenter, pitch: 20 min
Cleanup: 20 min

FWIW, a normal brew day with a 60/60 schedule is only 4-4.5 hours for me, so I don't save much time, but I find I can do the compressed schedule in an evening after work without SWMBO getting on me too much ;)

6 hours for BIAB? My 3 gallon batches were taking 3.5 tops and I'm loving that. I think you could get that down a bit - I only mashed for 60 minutes and no mash out. If you're not concerned with time than no biggie :)

Denny - I setup up a batch sparge cooler similar to yours http://www.thetablelands.com/building-a-mash-tun-for-homebrewing

Actually brewed this afternoon and it was about a 4.5 hour brewday including cleanup. I like that setup and have had it previously. I just rebuilt all my gear after getting back into the hobby so I'm trying new things. BIAB wasn't around when I started brewing AG.

Thanks for the quick responses.

I think I may outside the norm with the whole wort creation aspect but o well.

I'd say easiest so far is Partial Mash or BIAB but was wondering other people's take.

Making the wort is my favorite part (aside from drinking the product). It's too bad you live in Massachusetts. We'd make a great brewing team. You could design the recipes, I'd make the wort, and then you could ferment and package.

zacster said:
Yesterday was again 6 hours start to finish using BIAB.

1 Hour heating water
.25 hour grain addition
1 Hour Mash
.5 Hour Mash out
.5 Hour to Boil
1.25 Hour boil
.25 Hour chill
.25 Hour Drain, shake add yeast
.5 Hour clean up

I could probably reduce the heat/boil times with a good burner by about an hour, but that's about it. There's a lot of waiting time, so make sure you have something else to do around the house. Drinking helps too.

You can further reduce this if you are so inclined.

.5 hour mash out - many don't mash out at all: -.5
1.25 hour boil - many recipes call for a 60 minute boil -- -.25 (obviously depending on recipe / volumes)
.25 hour chill - a plate chiller (at least mine with my ground water temps) can chill 5 gal in < 5 mins -- -.16
.25 hour drain/shake/add yeast - the plate chiller takes most out of this, assuming a vigorous 5 min shake -- -.16

That alone saves you just over an hour. Combined with a better burner and you can cut it down further (30 maybe 40 more mins)

Making the wort is my favorite part (aside from drinking the product). It's too bad you live in Massachusetts. We'd make a great brewing team. You could design the recipes, I'd make the wort, and then you could ferment and package.

:D:rockin: That would be great!

Interesting local brewery in Boston is actually doing this - http://www.mystic-brewery.com - they are buying the Wort and just are fermenting - pretty big in the wine industry as well.

BIAB, no sparge, with mashout.

If you really want to cut time out of your brew day, try doing a 20-30 minute mash with a 30 minute boil. Don't use pils malt due to DMS, but other malts work fine. Your efficiency may suffer a little, and you will use a bit more hops. I've now used this for three different beers and have had excellent results. Total time start to finish was 2.5 hours

That's interesting - do you find anything off in the finished beer?

Yeah reduce the boil time, heck reduce the mash time too! If you're crushing fine, as you can with BIAB, you don't need an hour. 20 mins or so and you're done. I mash for 40 now and boil for 40, just add a bit more hops to compensate. I don't mashout now either, I don't think it's totally required or useful for BIAB. I get no efficiency gains or taste differences by it at least.

My typical brew day from getting stuff together to being pitched and cleaned up, put away, is around 3 hours now. It's sweet!

But yes, if you just want to save time go full extract :)

Thanks psych

Extract is not an option :)

Are you finding your beers tasting nice? Can you post a sample recipe?

If I go all BiAb I need a bigger pot but I'm getting one anyways

Making wort is where the fun is. Using DennyBrew.com, on Saturday I went from set up to clean up in 4.5 hrs. Any less time, I wouldn't have so much fun.:ban:

I have an immersion chiller - the no chill would require more stuff - if I'm going to no chill I'd just doing a partial boil and dilute with iced spring water & straight to more beer $8 buckets - I brewed like that for a while with great results - same way guiness is brewed & bud for that matter

djt17 said:
Making wort is where the fun is

I don't really agree but that's why this hobby rocks - fermentation is where it's at.

For short time: (and probably ease in the same order)
1) extract
2) extract w/specialty grains
3) partial mash
4) BIAB
5) batch sparge all grain
6) fly sparge all grain

To me I find messing with a bag full of hot wet grain more of a PITA than batch sparging. So for ease I would reverse 4 and 5. I have not tried fly sparging yet.

All options, with fresh ingredients will give quality wort.

It really comes down to what works for you.

It doesn't sound like you like or want to make beer. I read the original post to my wife and that was her response. For me the easiest most consistent beers use maris otter base grain. Just start with that. I don't mind the time it takes, I'm usually consuming while this is all happening anyways. There r good tips on here though.

billdog said:
It doesn't sound like you like or want to make beer. .

I'm interested - what makes you guys think that?

I love brewing just looking to make it easier and concentrate of the aspects of the activity that I love the most and enjoy it. I've been brewing on and off for 10 years - I know what I like about it...there's nothing wrong with that.

shoreman said:
That's interesting - do you find anything off in the finished beer?

Nothing off, the beers have all been excellent. I've done a Hefeweizen, Irish Red, and a Nut Brown this way. With modern malts, you reach conversion within about 20 minutes (you can always check with an iodine test to be sure). I first came across this on the forums here, can't remember who mentioned it, and thought I would give it a try when I didn't have a lot of time to brew. Results have been great so far. My efficiency did suffer a bit, got about 80% when I am normally around 88-90%. This was with a mahout (which is easy with BIAB). If you'd like any of the recipes, let me know - otherwise, just find a recipe you like and adjust the hop schedule accordingly. 30 minutes for the first addition doesn't change the flavor profile (at least not enough that I've noticed), and you can still FWH too.

Cheers!

shoreman said:
I'm interested - what makes you guys think that?

I love brewing just looking to make it easier and concentrate of the aspects of the activity that I love the most and enjoy it. I've been brewing on and off for 10 years - I know what I like about it...there's nothing wrong with that.

I didn't take your post that way. I too love to brew, but sometimes it is difficult to get the time required in a solid block, which is why I decided to try the "speed brew" method I mentioned above. The 2.5 hours is a nice sweet spot that makes it completely doable in an evening after work.

Thanks cyclonite - ya I feel like time is always a factor. I've got tons of other stuff going on and just try to squeeze it in where I can - today was working from home and got a brew in.

I'll try out your method coming up on a next brew.

djt17 said:
Making wort is where the fun is. Using DennyBrew.com, on Saturday I went from set up to clean up in 4.5 hrs. Any less time, I wouldn't have so much fun.:ban:

I totally agree. I take the same amount of time and have a blast doing it. You can even get other things done while mashing. I mowed the yard Saturday while brewing and today I cleaned out the garage. So you can get stuff done while brewing. Just make sure your paying attention during the boil!!!!!

Thanks to everyone for their replies on this topic - I've got a few more approaches to try out:

No sparge, No Chill Mosher Style
BIAB 20/40 mash/boil.

love this place :D :mug:

Thanks psych

Extract is not an option :)

Are you finding your beers tasting nice? Can you post a sample recipe?

If I go all BiAb I need a bigger pot but I'm getting one anyways

Sure, here's a link to one I posted elsewhere:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/s-04-yeast-super-fast-309071/

It turned out darker than I had intended, a brown instead of a red, but it's plenty tasty, nice malty richness.

I definitely enjoy my beers, for sure, no complaints!

Nothing off, the beers have all been excellent. I've done a Hefeweizen, Irish Red, and a Nut Brown this way. With modern malts, you reach conversion within about 20 minutes (you can always check with an iodine test to be sure). I first came across this on the forums here, can't remember who mentioned it, and thought I would give it a try when I didn't have a lot of time to brew. Results have been great so far. My efficiency did suffer a bit, got about 80% when I am normally around 88-90%. This was with a mahout (which is easy with BIAB). If you'd like any of the recipes, let me know - otherwise, just find a recipe you like and adjust the hop schedule accordingly. 30 minutes for the first addition doesn't change the flavor profile (at least not enough that I've noticed), and you can still FWH too.

Cheers!

And no issues with DMS? I'm assuming not since you don't mention it, but I have to check.

It doesn't sound like you like or want to make beer.

This seems a little narrow-minded. There's a lot more to brewing than brew day. Sometimes I enjoy it (brew day), sometimes less so, but I always love coming up with recipes and analysing the finished product; if I could only use other people's recipes, I would definitely stop brewing.

BIAB saves money, time, and is just as good quality wort as any other type of brewing method.

Only con is that anything above 10 gal is gunna be tough to lift the grains.

mccann51 said:
And no issues with DMS? I'm assuming not since you don't mention it, but I have to check.

No issues with DMS. However, I never have and never will use Pilsner malt with a short boil like this.

brewbobaggins said:
BIAB saves money, time, and is just as good quality wort as any other type of brewing method.

Only con is that anything above 10 gal is gunna be tough to lift the grains.

True dat ;-). Only way I see to go larger than 10 gallon is to use a steamer basket with a pulley rig - then you could go larger.

It's probably the DIY in me, but I like the time it takes. Then again, I cook mostly from scratch as well. Just a little peace and serenity in doing it and not worry about shaving time.

That being said, there are some good tips in this thread that I may employ. My upcoming travel schedule is nuts and this may help get some brewing in between trips. (Trips are the best time to lager as well).

It's probably the DIY in me, but I like the time it takes. Then again, I cook mostly from scratch as well. Just a little peace and serenity in doing it and not worry about shaving time.

That being said, there are some good tips in this thread that I may employ. My upcoming travel schedule is nuts and this may help get some brewing in between trips. (Trips are the best time to lager as well).

I hear ya, I'm also a huge DIY fan and maker of things from scratch. I think maybe I just have more hobbies that the average homebrewer - to alot of people homebrewing is their one and only hobby. I love it but I also have work, family, other hobbies & life and the brewing needs to fit in there somewhere.

I still really enjoy the process but after you spend some years brewing, you will def. notice the parts that really excite you and the parts that seem to be more of a chore - for instance when you first start brewing bottling and using the capper and making a label is friggin awesome - but you quickly move to kegging to get rid of that "chore".

So my point was that I know what portions of the brewday I love and which are more of a chore - that is very much subjective. I'm looking to minimize the portions I don't enjoy and maximize the parts that I do enjoy. :D

Latest posts

Back