What would you do with $200?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dslater

Reaction score
Hi, my rig is a 5 gal Igloo mash tun, a brew pot, turkey fryer burner and an immersion chiller.

I do 5 gal. all grain batches and have been brewing for about a year. I bottle my beer and haven't run into any limitations with this system. Although fermentation temp control is an on-going battle.

The other day SWMBO suggested that I start kegging.

Not being one to argue, I told her I'd look into it, but
I am wondering if kegging is the best way to spend $200 at this point.

So, I ask, if you had $200 to spend on brewing equipment,
what would you buy?

Thanks!

I would buy a 10 gallon mash tun. Speaking from experiance, I had a 5 gallon tun and it was just too small to make big beers. If all you make is smaller gravity brews, then that isn't an issue. Also temp controller is a must IMHO. Those would be the first 2 things I buy. Those will run you oh I don't know, about 150. Then I'd buy 2 kits to break in the new equipent. :mug:

Kegging will allow you to get grain to glass faster and reduce labor, but Id put my money on temp control... it makes for better beer. Id rather drink better beer whether I bottled or kegged.

Kegging is great, you won't go wrong with that. You could also score a cheap/free chest freezer and $50 temp controller....use it for fermenting, and as funds become more available you can add taps, kegs, etc. so you will be able to serve AND ferment.

Alternatively, you could get a large ss instawares pot and 10 gal cooler for ~200.

Keep in mind, if temp control is an issue, there are a lot of ways to do this in the interrim, to include the t-shirt/bucket method. I wouldn't waste your money on a son-of-fermentation chiller....it's a good method, but eventually you're going to get sick of changing out ice bottles.

Kegging is so the way to go. +1 on kegconnection kits. They can customize kits based on your needs should you find/score cheap/free pieces of equipment on craigslist. I had a CO2 tank and only needed the other stuff...guys @ kegconnection altered their dual reg, two keg system for me, came in at $168 w/free shipping.

cheap/free fridges are all over craigslist as well...

Just be prepared to brew more often...kegs empty very quickly:drunk:

567456292_257a85505e_m.jpg

...if the above doesn't work out I would definitely agree and say kegging.

It would be tough to get a fully functioning keg setup for $200 when you factor in refrigeration.

I'd suggest two things. If you don't have a mill right now, I'd go with a mill and a sack of maris otter. If that doesn't sound good, get a used fridge/freezer and a digital temp controller like the Ranco or A419. You can use it short term for fermentation control and use it for kegging later if you want.

Kegging is the way to go.

My brewing history/equip is nearly identical to yours. Went to kegging right off though. This year I went a step up to a SS brew kettle.

You will only regret kegs when they go dry..... The beer seems to only get better until the last pull from the tap.

Last summer when it was 105 here in the PNW, I broke down and got a chest freezer and controler to manage my fermentaton temp control for the summer months. Looking arround CL you should be able to find a free or nearly so refer or freezer that you can convert with a temp controler.

Take the Keg step first the rest just takes time to find on CL for nearly free.

Back