What went wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zhubbell

Reaction score
So, I brewed an IPA..

12.1# 2 row
1.1# carapils
1.1# c40
.5# Munich
Tons of mosaic hops
OG 1.070
Pitched a 2L starter of wyeast 1272, starter was 1.040, w yeast w energizer and pH stabilizer, top cropped from an IPA w the exact same grain bill, just different hops, cropped about 7 days into fermentation. Last IPA attenuated just fine. Left starter going for 4 days with manually shaking as often as possible and pitched 3/24
Transferred this one to a secondary today (4/4) to dry hop, cuz I had originally put it into a carboy, and it was only at 1.030....

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

What temp was the wort when you pitched?

What temp did you ferment at?

How many ounces of hops is "a ton"? Also what was the total IBU calculation.

Pitched at 75 degrees, fermented at 68 degrees - kept it pretty steady, only hitting as high as 70 a couple times.
Recipe used 9.5 oz of mosaic hops throughout the 90 min boil. I don't have my Notes in front of me right now but I think the IBUs were around 145?

Hmm, nothing odd there. What temp was the mash and for how long?

I've had a brew get stuck 10 points above FG before. Some light swirling of the fermenter and bringing it up to 72F for several days usually was enough to let it finish.

152 for 60 mins
Sparged w 180 deg water for 10

Initial w refractometer. Final was with a Hydrometer :(. I wish it was just that easy....

Kinda too late for this, but you shouldn't have transferred off the yeast cake until you were pretty close to FG. Restarting a stuck fermenation is kinda hit or miss. Moving it off the yeast cake is going to lean you a lot closer to "miss".

If you can get it a little warmer, that might help. Measure it after a day or 2 to see if you are getting any movement. If not, you can make a new starter and just let it run for 12-18 hrs before pitching.

Actually already have one started for 24 hours now - supposed to be for a new beer, but oh well - I'll check in a couple days.

If you are going to pitch new yeast, you don't want a starter that has already fermented completely. You want the yeast to be at high krausen and as active as possible. If you are going to do another brew, you could just wait a couple more days and topcrop right from that.

Back