What went wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvend

Reaction score
Hi, I brewed a American Ale, the result was a watered flavored beer with a perfect color and 5.2%abv.

I did it the following way:
Placed like 10kg of grains on a grain bag on 4 gallons of water, when it hitted 1.059 (less than 2 1/2 gallons)left because of grain suction and evaporation) I got the grain bag out and fly sparge it, the gravity readings from the sparge (taken fom below the bag) never decreased from 1.040 (fly sparge until i got 4 gallons) and I inoculated the yeast.
Like I mentioned, great cristal color, great alcohol but too watery flavor. What went wrong? I guess too much water, but why? Gravity never lowered! Pleeeeeease help me!!!

what grains and hops did you use?
Give us the grain/hop bill and maybe it will be easier to tell what the problem is.

There's your problem right there. 2 row is a base malt and if that's all you use in the beer, you will get a watered down tasting beer. Wheat and oats are meant to add a little flavor and creaminess to the beer but they aren't the malty backbone you need for a beer's depth.

You need to pick some other specialty grains to actually flavor the beer. These can be roasted grains, vienna and munich malt, biscuit malt, etc.

Yep, that sounds about right to me. You would have had a completly different beer with about 320gr of crystal 60 in the mash.

I added like 2.3kg of 2 row,.90 of wheat and .9 of oats, so i shoukd add like .4 on top of that of a crystal maybe?

Also, what temperature were you mashing at? This is pretty critical to determining how much malt character you get in the beer. Above 152-154 F will have a lot more malt character (and lower ABV) than a mash below 150 F.

Oh Im sorry I didnt mentioned, the OG hitted 1.056, but now that you mentioned it, during some time the mash temp went above 165F, but the sparge water never went down 1.040.

I'm a little confused about your process. You started your mash with 4 gallons but then you said "when it hitted 1.059 (less than 2 1/2 gallons)left because of grain suction and evaporation) I got the grain bag out and fly sparge it". Were you boiling the water and grains up to that point? 3.2 kg of grain should absorb less than a gallon and you mentioned evaporation so I am wondering if you were boiling the whole thing.

How did you measure your OG of 1.056 and your water volumes? In a 4 gallon batch with 3.2 kg grain that's like 88% efficiency. Might have happened, I'm just a little surprised. Also, do you actually know it was 5.2% alcohol because you measured the final gravity at around 1.016?

There are lots of SMaSH and other recipes with just base malt, it shouldn't necessarily lead to a watery beer.

mashing at 165f, as far as I know, will give you very bad conversion.
I think that the next time you brew, you should try a BIAB brew where you use all of the water from the start of the brew session.
I alwasy work in celcius, but aim at 4c above my desired mash temmperature. SO, as I like to mash at 67c, I heat my water to 71.5C.
Not meaning to be offend, but what is your native language? I ask because it seems to me that you may have misunderstood some brewing information.

Back