What type of whisky should I soak oak cubes in for a Wee Heavy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TandemTails

Reaction score
I've got a wee heavy fermenting away right now (og: 1.087). I plan on adding some whisky soaked american medium toast oak cubes a week before bottling. I have access to bourbon, a rye whisky and a farmhouse style whisky that tastes a lot like scotch.

I typically use bourbon soaked cubes for all of my beers but I'm wondering if I should try one of the other whiskys for this beer. Anyone oak a wee heavy and have anything they could chime in?

The whole idea of exposing wee heavies to whisk(e)y wood is a US invention, so don't feel you have to go "Scottish" for authenticity, just go with whichever one tastes best.

I put my wee heavy into an Eagle Rare barrel with some others who brewed the same recipe. It ended up winning the wood aged category in the Kentucky State Fair homebrew competition

Knob creek is good. They also make a smoked maple bourbon; I haven't tasted it yet but sounds like a good addition for beer. Single malt scotch would be interesting too, since its made with 100% barley.

Back