What type of pale malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codym

Reaction score
Want to order the ingredients for my first all grain batch. Scratching my head on what type of pale malt to get. Ingredients for this recipe (Lemon-lime hefe) call for pale malt, but there must be a dozen types of pale malt to choose from. Is there a standard choice? Should I go with the cheapest? I'm guessing this will be the case for the rest of the grain bill also..

I would probably use whatever domestic 2-row is available for a wheat. Pale malt and 2-row are often used to name the lighter kilned base malt from a given maltster (1.5-2L), as opposed to their darker kilned pale ale malt (3-4L).

A little strange calling for pale malt in a Hefe. You'd expect a pilsner malt. If you're looking for a biscuity flavor then I would look to a pale ale malt (domestic or UK). If not I'd stick with a 2-row brewers malt which is the lightest domestic base malt.

Back