What type of infection is this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GillesF

Reaction score
Hi all

I recently started my first all-grain using the BIAB method: a raspberry ale. Everything went well (also see this topic) but I saw this on top of the raspberries:

2w4kzmv.jpg

I think it was Brett. Lambicus but after some reading I'm not sure. Can anyone identify it?

Smell and taste has evolved from sour cherry to "Geuze" style acidity.

Cheers
Gilles

Not sure what kind of mold this is but this is why vintners make sure to stir their fruits to ensure that the fruit is constantly covered in the must and not exposed to the air for any length of time. I wonder if adding the juice you might extract from the berries would prevent this kind of spoilage in the future.
You might, for example, freeze the berries then thaw them- the freezing damages the cells and helps extract the juice. I would add K-meta (or crushed Campden tabs) to the fruit to help inhibit such spoilage and mash the fruit with a potato masher then rack the beer or ale onto the juice in a secondary...

When I made my Bavarian hefe with watermelon, I ran the watermelon through the blender on the smoothie setting. Then strained twice & added 3C of the juice.

Latest posts

Back