What type of beer to brew that will sit in secondary for 6-9 months

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nos33

Reaction score
So it is hot as hell outside, i have a fridge that is full of homebrew, and i am probably taking a break on brewing until it gets a little cooler out. right now it is between 90-105 and I dont like cooking in those temps.

I want to make a beer that will sit and develop over a longer period of time. Something like an Imperial stout just not an imperial stout. I have heard that there is an Imperial IPA but i cant find a recipe and dont know how long it is supped to sit in secondary.

Do you guy and gals have any suggestions?

So it is hot as hell outside, i have a fridge that is full of homebrew, and i am probably taking a break on brewing until it gets a little cooler out. right now it is between 90-105 and I dont like cooking in those temps.

I want to make a beer that will sit and develop over a longer period of time. Something like an Imperial stout just not an imperial stout. I have heard that there is an Imperial IPA but i cant find a recipe and dont know how long it is supped to sit in secondary.

Do you guy and gals have any suggestions?

Yeah, MAN UP! I've brewed in 110°+ this year! All kidding aside, I was going to suggest an Imperial Stout. :p Maybe try your hand at a Barleywine?

I've got a 12% barleywine approaching 8 months now...will be bottling in August.

I would advise against the IIPA because hop characteristics fade over time. I prefer mine fresh. Just my 2c.

The higher the grav the better it will benefit from bulk aging, Barleywines, old ales, tripels, dubbels, Wheat wines. Anything with a gravity about 1.080 and above would do well for you.

Imperial Porter or a Strong Christmas Ale would be nice by about December.

RIS, Barleywine, Belgian Golden Strong.. Anything 8% or even 10% or more would be great.

I would not advise a IIPA because they are usually drank fresher, before the hops can fade.

these are great ideas. And no i dont have the ability to lager yet. I dont know how keen i am on a stout. They used to be my thing but lately they have not. I have never had a barley wine. might pick up a couple trial bottles at the liquor store and see what I like. The bourbon stout sounds interesting. I will look that one up as well.

I think i am going to go with this: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/bourbon-barrel-old-ale-w-white-labs-english-ale-002.html Looks and sounds very tasty.

When it says add your favorite bourbon, I take it any kind of whiskey, like jim bean, jack daniels, will work? I am hoping to use the rest of my bottle of Jameson to soak the oak chips. And from reading other posts on here it is wise to add 1 vanilla bean as well.

Let me know what you all think.

I think i am going to go with this: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/bourbon-barrel-old-ale-w-white-labs-english-ale-002.html Looks and sounds very tasty.

When it says add your favorite bourbon, I take it any kind of whiskey, like jim bean, jack daniels, will work? I am hoping to use the rest of my bottle of Jameson to soak the oak chips. And from reading other posts on here it is wise to add 1 vanilla bean as well.

Let me know what you all think.

Well, scotch has a totally different flavor profile than bourbon. I love both, and honestly wouldn't thin of interchanging them in a beer batch.

I make a Barleywine and an RIS ever January, bottle in July, and serve at Thanksgiving and Christmas. They are great for after dinner drinks and go really well with a rich dessert, like cheesecake or pumpkin pie. hhhmmmmm
-Jefe-

So what would be recommended for the booze I soak my wood chips in?

Latest posts

Back