What type kegs to buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark1765

Reaction score
What if any are the advantages of the different type of 5 gal kegs? I see ones called Cornys, I see some called Ball lock, and some called Pin lock. Some with 2 handles some with one handle and some that don't appear to have a handle at all. Also are all of the connections on top the same? What are most of you guys using and why? I only want to make this purchase one time.

Most use the cornys.I use a regular 5 gal keg.(sixtel)Same size as the corny basicly.If I feel the need to buy a commercial keg I can.Same tap connection.And there cheap. I honestly don't know why everyone uses cornys but they do.I have 2 cornys that I used to use sitting in the basement.They've become my "just in case I ever need them kegs"

Ball lock and pin lock are both corny kegs there is not a 3rd type called corny. Both pin and ball locks work fine, one type was used by Coke, the other Pepsi, that's it. Pin lock kegs are slightly shorter and fatter than ball lock so if height is an issue they may be your best choice. On the other hand if floor space is an issue then ball lock is a better choice. Ball lock kegs tend to be a little more expensive simply I think because they are more popular most likely due to their slimmer footprint. Many people have both, they just swap out the fittings. Ball locks do have a pressure relief valve and pin locks you have to release it from the gas inlet. Other than that the differences are cosmetic, some kegs have a collar with rubber handles, some have metal handles, some have no handles.

Thank you. I think the used ones I'm looking at are Ball-Lock which from what you say have a smaller foot print. That will actually work better for me.

Most home brewers use corney kegs because of the large mouth opening. Easier to clean. Sankey can be washed, but most operations use a pressure pump to do so.

Most home brewers use corney kegs because of the large mouth opening. Easier to clean. Sankey can be washed, but most operations use a pressure pump to do so.
Disagree.
Im going to say most dump,rinse out no solution,fill with sanitizer,swirl,wait,dump.
I don't see many wedging there arm in the corny.
Im still waiting for somebody to prove why cornys are better then sixtels,,and Ive used both

I like cornys better because it is easier for me to add things to an already carbed keg if needed; gelatin, extra dry hop, fruit/wood spiral.

Disagree.

Im going to say most dump,rinse out no solution,fill with sanitizer,swirl,wait,dump.

I don't see many wedging there arm in the corny.

Im still waiting for somebody to prove why cornys are better then sixtels,,and Ive used both

I don't disagree. If you keep up, reaching an arm in isn't generally needed. I ferment in a tall 1/4. Cleaning is with a sprayer, soaking, a carboy brush, and a mirror to inspect.

What if any are the advantages of the different type of 5 gal kegs? I see ones called Cornys, I see some called Ball lock, and some called Pin lock. Some with 2 handles some with one handle and some that don't appear to have a handle at all. Also are all of the connections on top the same? What are most of you guys using and why? I only want to make this purchase one time.

I have 3 of these. Not sure you'll find a better deal on new 5 gal ball locks

http://www.homebrewing.org/AIH-New-5-Gallon-Corny-Keg-Ball-Lock_p_5100.html

Latest posts

Back