What to prime with!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rooster27

Reaction score
Man it has been a long time since I have posted on here and even longer since I have brewed, but I was finally able to last weekend and decided on a super simple extract Scottish 80 Shilling brew.

7lbs Amber DME
2oz of EKG hop pellets boiled for 60 min
Safale S-04 yeast

O.G 1.065 with temp correction

Day 9 gravity which is today read at 1.018

Hopefully it will drop a couple to a few more points in the next 2-3 days

I know this will be a pretty 1 dimensional beer as I didn't steep any specialty grains. I guess I'm wondering if I should prime with brown sugar when the time comes to add just a bit of character to it. So glad I brewed, now I want to every weekend[emoji41]

If you have any DME left use that for priming (assume you’re bottling) so you’ll need 5 oz for a 5 g batch.
If you’re kegging use about 25% less.
Also, for bottling, don’t forget to stir your beer every 6 bottles or so. The sugar will settle.

Thank you! I was going to keg but figured this would be a good Christmas gift for a couple of family members. I typically dissolve the surgar in a cup of boiling water and then put that in the bottom of my bottling bucket and then siphon from primary so it mixes it all up all nice and good. Do you think the brown sugar will impart a nice taste where it's a fairly simple brew or should I just stick with regular corn sugar? Could always pick up some DME too.

Thanks! I know you can prime with brown sugar, which I think I'll do, I'm hoping it will impart a. It of it's flavor into the beer! I'll let ya know how it goes!
I'm not sure of the fermentability of brown sugar or flavor benefits. I'd stick with priming sugar or DME.

Brown sugar will be fine. It's just white sugar with a touch of molasses.

If you have some hops you could steep some for like 10 minutes and add this tea to your beer at bottling. Can add a little more hops character.

All the Best,
D. White

Thank you, definitely going to be priming with brown sugar. I'll have to try the hop truck out on a pale which I plan on brewing soon.
Brown sugar will be fine. It's just white sugar with a touch of molasses.

If you have some hops you could steep some for like 10 minutes and add this tea to your beer at bottling. Can add a little more hops character.

All the Best,
D. White

Latest posts

Back