What to expect from 65 minute steep

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EtchyLives

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I wasn't able to run my immersion chiller for over an hour after flame out so my 5-minute hop addition (1 oz Fuggles) sat in near-boiling temp wort with the lid on for 65 minutes. What can I expect?

I was brewing last night and due to a series of stuck sparges it took longer than expected. So about 20 minutes before flameout I had to leave to run the kids around. My daughter followed my instructions about adding the Irish Moss and the 5 minute hop addition and turned off the gas at the right time. But it was over an hour until I got back to run the immersion chiller. So essentially my 1 ounce of Fuggles as a 5 minute addition sat in near-boiling temps with the lid on for 65 minutes. What can I expect?

I'm assuming that I got a lot more bittering and a lot less flavor/aroma than I was expecting. Beersmith calculates 7 IBUs for a 65 minute steep of 1oz of Fuggles and the smell from the wort was definitely lacking that 5 minute hop aroma.

Thanks,

You basically did a hopstand with 1oz of fuggles. If it was something like citra, you may get a more hoppy beer than you anticipated but fuggles is so mild I doubt youll notice the difference. Itll be a tiny bit more bitter, and more aromatics from the 5min addition will be lost, but thats about it

That depends on you other additions. If you had earlier bittering additions, then all you have now is a collection of bittering additions. You're not likely to get any significant hop flavor or aroma and if you had a 90 or 60 min addition the bitterness may be more harsh than you expected with the long hot-side.

This is what I thought. There were almost no aromatics when I siphoned into the fermenter. The yeast is going crazy, though. WLP023 is chewing this up. I had full krausen in 6 hours.

Back