What to do with crappy home brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbindera

Reaction score
I have some old bottles of early home brew in the basement. What to do with it? Here are some things I have done:

-pouring into the water pan in my smoker.
-made malt vinegar.

Ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Blend them. I have a couple of small batches that lacked flavor. I've bought some Session IPAs that I found too thin. I poured them 50/50 and drank a nice pale ale. Of course, you have to be willing to drink 24oz of beer at once. That's just my lot in life.

Make some beer shampoo. Reduce a bottle of beer in a saucepan until you have about a quarter of the starting volume. When it's cool, mix it with 1 cup of regular shampoo. It does a great job making your hair look fuller and thicker, a really nice thing for those of us whose hair is starting to get thin...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

send it into a competition, along with a recently brewed beer in the same category/style, and use the results to judge how far you've come

lobstah.jpg

I had a batch of English Ale that came out over carbed and too sweet, so I used some to steam lobsters. It worked great

Make it into an Ice Beer! Put the beer in a plastic container with 1/3 empty volume at the top for expansion. Let it freeze and then turn it upside-down in a funnel over a jar. Let it sit on the counter and drain for an hour or two. I have done this with a few different beers with funky off flavors and after freezing the off flavor is gone. Also it concentrates the malt flavor and alcohol content so that is good!

Cook with them, beer that isn't great will flavor food wonderfully.

Beer and butter in a skillet with chicken or Brats, cook till beer evaporates, then let chicken/brats fry in butter until brown crust, its great !

Marinate meat with beer also, tritip for 2 days or roast.

Steaks or chicken on the BBQ, paint brush on beer and butter every 5 min.

Cheers :mug:

I give my undrinkables to my neighbors that are Bud/Miller/Coors drinkers and they rave at how good it tastes. Duh!

I've given it away for slug traps. It's gotten rave reviews for that purpose and I don't feel like it was completely wasted.

I agree with using it for cooking. I use mine to make beer batters or sautee seafood.

You could also drink the good stuff first, and then after you can't taste as well, knock that stuff down to finish out the night.

I've had a few less than good brews in the past and I've used it for Beer bread, Marinades, Beer Brats, and Beer blends (black & tans, etc).

If it's really bad - just dump it and free up the container(s) it's taking up space in. I've only had one batch come out so bad that I just dumped it all, but it just wasn't worth salvaging. It was an experimental brew and just wasn't worth the effort. I lived and learned.

Back