What to do with braggot, and can I put fruit in the bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubes

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I made my first mead back in the spring, a braggot, and it has now been aging for several months. It's a pretty big braggot, about 10%, and it's about time to bottle it. It tastes great as it is, so I've been at a crossroads about what to do with it - putting it in wine bottles and leaving it still, or putting it in smaller bottles and carbonating like a braggot should? I'm not sure how a stronger braggot like this will be when it's cold and carbonated. I think I'm going to do one bottle first and then see. Thoughts?

Also, I was wondering if I can put any fruit in the bottles. If I fill some wine bottles full of mead can I put some raspberries or something in there while it ages? Will the alcohol kill the bacteria that makes it rot, or will the fruit still rot in there?

Thanks

I would proceed like you said with the carbonation and try a bottle of each. Although I will say, of all the braggot's I've had they all have been carbed. But light to mild carbonation at that.

I have no experience putting fruit in the bottle but when I have used fruit, after the yeast have eaten through the fruit's sugars, the fruit doesn't appear very appetizing. Also that extra sugar is going to effect your carbonation so keep that in mind when you decide how much fruit to add to the bottle if you do so.

Back