!@#$, what to do with an UBER-ORANGE wheat...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jsmith82

Reaction score
This was intended to be lawnmower beer, very very light. 9lbs grain bill on 5 gallons, bavarian blend yeast, saaz and tett, and for the hell of it, 8 navel oranges steeped in a tea like the Blood Orange Hefe.. I wanted to really bring out that orange flavor!

Well... It's definitely orange. And worthy of this emoticon -> :(

I'm currently chalking it up to the type of orange used and the light grain bill, but WOW did this beer dry out. It's kind of like beer flavored Navel water. It's been about 6 weeks from brew day, this is typically when I really like my wheat beers, but this one is a head scratcher. I pulled 2 out and drank one, the other is in the fridge still. I took my 2 cases and put them back in the beer closet, I figured first thing I'd do is let them sit a couple more weeks then try another one and go from there.

This is where I'm thinking there may be a problem. Time heals beer wounds in most cases, but wheats generally should be consumed fairly quicker than most beers, and with a grain bill that light I'm not sure if this beer will be able to withstand sitting around for months.

Oh great and powerful HBT, please remind me to relax, don't worry, have a homebrew! Or tell me I'm correct and I need to plow this beer within the next 2 months or it's going to skunk.

I do like using beer and oranges in my marinades.... :D

invite friends over for a Chiefs game and let em drink it, lol

err Rams game, sorry, lol

This was intended to be lawnmower beer, very very light. 9lbs grain bill on 5 gallons, bavarian blend yeast, saaz and tett, and for the hell of it, 8 navel oranges steeped in a tea like the Blood Orange Hefe.. I wanted to really bring out that orange flavor!

Well... It's definitely orange. And worthy of this emoticon -> :(

I'm currently chalking it up to the type of orange used and the light grain bill, but WOW did this beer dry out. It's kind of like beer flavored Navel water. It's been about 6 weeks from brew day, this is typically when I really like my wheat beers, but this one is a head scratcher. I pulled 2 out and drank one, the other is in the fridge still. I took my 2 cases and put them back in the beer closet, I figured first thing I'd do is let them sit a couple more weeks then try another one and go from there.

This is where I'm thinking there may be a problem. Time heals beer wounds in most cases, but wheats generally should be consumed fairly quicker than most beers, and with a grain bill that light I'm not sure if this beer will be able to withstand sitting around for months.

Oh great and powerful HBT, please remind me to relax, don't worry, have a homebrew! Or tell me I'm correct and I need to plow this beer within the next 2 months or it's going to skunk.

I do like using beer and oranges in my marinades.... :D

Make yourself a Panache! Fantastic with lighter beers and Hefes. 1/2 Beer and 1/2 lemonade. The orange in your beer sounds like the best addition I could think of for such a fantastic beverage. The ULTIMATE lawnmower drink, IMO. Actually, it's good for just about any occasion. Sometimes I'll even have one in the morning while my wife enjoys a mimosa.

Not a bad idea at all... Something like that may be a SWMBO fav as well which would be a plus. I've never had a Panache.. I'll pick up some lemonade on the way home today and give it a go.

I'm Willing to give anything a shot, I will not abandon my beer! It will go down like its predecessors!

Back