What to do with all this debittered black malt? And other grain.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

booherbg

Reaction score
Hi all. I bought some grain on craigslist a month ago and got a nice deal. About $35 worth in grain and hops for $12 :) In short, I have the best kind of problem. Too much grain!

The thing is, I have no idea what to do with this giant bag of Dingemann's Debittered Black Malt. I must have 3# of it. I also have about the same amount of Roasted Barley.

Most recipes I find call for like 1/8 or 1/2 oz of the debittered malt... that means I'm going to have this malt for as long as I live! I typically do like 3 gallons at a time, too (not 5gal).

What would you do with a bag of this dark malt? Are there any 'wacky' recipes out there that I would try out? Searching hopville is fine, but I'm not having much luck.

I also have the following:
  • 6# of 2-row
  • 5# of Crystal 60
  • 3# Debittered Black Malt (referred to above)
  • 3# Roasted Barley (referred to above)
  • 1lb wheat malt (flaked and regular)
  • .5lb biscuit malt
  • .25lb munich malt
  • .25lb Crystal 150L
  • .25lb Crystal 105L
  • small amounts of: simcoe, amarillo, columbus, chinook
  • couple ounces of: centennial, magnum, nugget, hallertau, saaz
(can you tell I've been cloning lagunitas beer? haha)

I still have to run to Listermann's to pick up yeast, so i can grab a few other ingredients in the mean time. But I need to start knocking out this inventory!

Any suggestions?

im not sure if Debittered Black Malt and Dehusked Carafa are the similar, but if they are you can make a nice Black IPA with it

Latest posts

Back