What to do when you can't brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobeer

Fermentation Specalist
Reaction score
We're in the middle of trying to find a house to buy. I don't want to have to move fermenting or conditioning beer so I'm in sort of a brewing hiatus. I love the hobby and would like to still do something for beer but I'm drawing a blank. Does anyone have any ideas of what I could do during this forced break from brewing?

Start learning electrical engineering and coming up with your electric brewery design?

I just went temporarily insane in the hospital. Like seeing slave ships on the ceiling, thinking I had velociraptor claws, and talking about whether Martians have the technology to read .pdfs. That, in between asking what happened to my beer that was fermenting in my apartment.

I guess my point is, it sucks not being able to brew. I feel your pain

We're in the middle of trying to find a house to buy. I don't want to have to move fermenting or conditioning beer so I'm in sort of a brewing hiatus. I love the hobby and would like to still do something for beer but I'm drawing a blank. Does anyone have any ideas of what I could do during this forced break from brewing?
If you put an offer on a house today it would still be about 30 to 45 days before you close, plenty of time to brew up a beer. Conditioning and moving bottled beer, it could be a hassle but if you bottle 22 oz bottles, it is only a couple of cases which would make good thank you gifts for the folks helping you move. :tank:

Rent a storage space? Might be helpful anyway to start getting stuff out of your current house. Good luck, moving is always stressful. I hope to stay in my current house until I am dead.

If you have to move two cases of full bottles, so what? It's just a half of a hand truck full. You'll be moving so much stuff that you'll barely notice two more boxes. Or four. Brew away!

Take up fermenting hot sauce. It requires a much smaller footprint and is much more portable.

Also, try curing meats. Same benefits as the hot sauce of small footprint and less finicky than beer, the payoff is great!

Is this a good time to go through all your equipment and make sure it's given a good clean?

Lots of good options.

I am in the same position as you are OP, so I feel your pain. Once we sell our house, we will be building a new one, so I wont be brewing until 4-6 months after we move out. I thought about bottling a batch, but didn't have time and now its all packed away.
I am going to try to find a home brew club, that's a good idea.

I just went temporarily insane in the hospital. Like seeing slave ships on the ceiling, thinking I had velociraptor claws, and talking about whether Martians have the technology to read .pdfs. That, in between asking what happened to my beer that was fermenting in my apartment.

I guess my point is, it sucks not being able to brew. I feel your pain

I think my favorite part of this thread so far is how everyone glossed over this post.

Seriously, W...t...f... :drunk:

Thanks for all the ideas folks! I have so much crap to move I almost don't want to add to it by squeezing in a batch then having to lug the bottles around. I already have 2 cases of cellared beer to move... I'm part of a homebrew club so maybe i can brew with them at some point. I am going to use this time, however, to maybe try some commercial beers I haven't tried yet or, Maybe, drink some stuff out of my cellar to lessen that haul to the new house... I can't wait to brew again in my new digs though!

Sounds like he going with the "get drunk, have sex" advice... Good decision.

When you get to the new place Jamil's Hefeweizen, EdWort's Haus Pale Ale and Orfy's Mild can be grain to glass in a month (even faster with kegs.)

If you put an offer on a house today it would still be about 30 to 45 days before you close, plenty of time to brew up a beer. Conditioning and moving bottled beer, it could be a hassle but if you bottle 22 oz bottles, it is only a couple of cases which would make good thank you gifts for the folks helping you move. :tank:

+1

Brew like mad right now! You don't know how long it will take to find "the one", and then you have 4-6 weeks between offer and close for that beer to condition before packaging.

With this hurricane coming I might brew a 2.5 gallon batch to pass the time I'm going to have to spend inside all weekend. There goes not wanting to move beer!

Look into kombucha making. Small batches and fast turnover. And it's delicious.

To add to this, make a batch of rice wine with the dry yeast balls that can be found at a asian grocery store and some thai/jasmine/sweet/glutinous rice. You can make a small half gallon batch with 2 cups of rice 1-2 yeast balls, then you have something fermenting and crack it open as soon as you buy the house.

When I bought a house with my fiance (she wasnt fiance at the time of purchase) I rushed a beer to bottle. Delicious but still the fizziest thing on the planet, so, don't be like me.

Back