What to do post lagering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregkeller

Reaction score
So i've slowly build up my brew system. I finally have a temperature controlled space capable of holding more than one carboy/bucket, have built up my vault of corny kegs, and have a mash tun/kettle capable of getting me 10 gallon batches. With that I feel like i'm ready to try my hand at lagers. I never tired a lager before mainly because i didn't want to do them because i didn't want to tie up my small fermentation setup with 5 gallons of beer. so now i figure i can just as easily turn out 10 gallons and have the space to take care of it properly.

So here's the questions: I brew, ferment, lager in kegs. Put the first keg on tap, what are my choices with the second keg? Would the beer be harmed by being at cellar temps (60-70 degrees) for a month or two? Again, i'd rather not have to tie up my fermentation chamber maintaining lager temps for a single keg. In a perfect world i'd brew 15 gallons of a lager, ferment it all, rack into three kegs, lager for 4-6 weeks and then store the two kegs in my cellar, while the first is on tap.

I would imagine that i'd be better off keeping everything cold all the time, and maybe i'll get myself a spare chest freezer to store all my beers at 35 before they are ready to be moved to the kegerator, but for now, will i notice ill effects of storing my lagers at 65 degrees for a month or so, after they've been lagered?

You are in exactly the same boat I was in when I got all excited about my beer fridge.

So, I waited and got a chest freezer for fermentation / lagering. I keep my beer fridge at 40, which I could lager a keg at if I needed to. The chest freezer is temp controlled plus has a temp controlled heater, so it'll do any temp I want it to. Holds 2 6.5G carboys just perfectly.

Latest posts

Back