What to brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rferguson61

Reaction score
I am finally (almost a year later) going to brew my first batch. What kind should i brew first. I really like heffewizen...and american lager...i tried pale ale and wasnt a fan but it was also crappy beer all around. I know lager is harder to make and is advised against for biginners but i havent heard about hef. lemme know what you think.

Hey man, glad you're taking the step toward your first brew. I would advise not trying a lager as your first brew. You need to learn a lot more about the brewing process before you do a lager. The lager requires a lot of specific steps regarding tenperature control during the fermentation period. Before you get to that step, you need to know about the different steps and why we take those steps.

You can get an ingredient kit to make a hefeweizen, which would be a much better choice as your first brew. A place like Midwest Homebrewing Supplies has a lot of great recipe kits that you can start. Look to start with an Extract recipe kit. It's a great start.

Good luck!!

+1 on the extract recipe kit. I started with an Irish Red extract kit. Simple malt backbone with little hop presence. A Hefe is a lighter brew so it offers a cleaner taste profile. I just made my first Hefe the other day. I definitely would do a Hefeweizen kit before a lager kit.

I would advise not trying a lager as your first brew. You need to learn a lot more about the brewing process before you do a lager. The lager requires a lot of specific steps regarding tenperature control during the fermentation period. Before you get to that step, you need to know about the different steps and why we take those steps.
+1

Are you doing all grain or extract?

I second the comment about lagers. Lagering is a bit different and requires some way to bring the temp down far below room temp.

Brew what you like! What is your favorite non-lager beer? Then, there you go!

An IPA might be a good idea. The hops could help cover up any mistakes you might make.

2 things: Lagers are more difficult as you have to have proper temps and generally need a controller of some sort (or manage the temps manually, which is a PITA). And, if you like a Hefe, brew a Hefe. They are as easy as anything else.

But you still ought to have proper temps. But at least it will be for a shorter period of time.

There are several types of Hefe. American Wheat could be considered one, although to many, a hefe has to have the characteristic banana/clove flavors from the proper strain of yeast.

+1

Are you doing all grain or extract?

Wellits my first batch so id think that all grain would be a bit much for a beginner (agree/disagree?) but i think extract is just to easy...so i was thinking extract w/steeped grains or possibly partial mash...

First brews should be IPAs, if you like them, imo. They are my favorite, but the reason I say so is because if you hop the crap out of a beer it can hide the impurities. So, IPAs can keep first time brewers from getting discouraged the best. Then again, I've only done 3 brews myself! The IPA I did first was easily the best so far. Good luck.

Look to do some extract kits from the big online stores, Austin Homebrew Supply, Midwest, Northern Brewer, Brewmasters Warehouse, etc.... These kits come with good instructions and they include the extract with steeping grains, hops, and yeast. You not only learn about brewing with these kits but also using hops and get a preview of working with grains. I am glad I started with these kits, it made the process much more inviting. I would urge extract with steeping grains over partial mashing for simplicity of the first brew and the varieties of extract kits are amazing, just check them out on their websites.

Another vote for Hefe. They're as easy as any, but they finish faster. We all know you won't quietly wait 6 weeks before cracking one open, might as well make one that tastes decent young. You also don't need to worry about cloudiness, or secondarying. And Hefe yeast is robust, and esters and phenols are in style, so you have a lot of room for making newbie mistakes without ruining it.

By the way, you mention Hefe and American Lager as your favorite styles. Do you mean American "Hefeweizen" (like Pyramid or Widmer), or Bavarian Hefeweizen (Franziskaner, Hacker-Pschorr)? People normally use Hefeweizen for the Bavarian style (lots of banana flavors), and American Wheat/Weiss for the American style. Make sure you pick your yeast/recipe accordingly... I remember seeing someone in this forum being surprised by the banana explosion in their hefe - turns out they were expecting a pyramid-style brew.

Hey man, glad you're taking the step toward your first brew. I would advise not trying a lager as your first brew. You need to learn a lot more about the brewing process before you do a lager. The lager requires a lot of specific steps regarding tenperature control during the fermentation period. Before you get to that step, you need to know about the different steps and why we take those steps.

You can get an ingredient kit to make a hefeweizen, which would be a much better choice as your first brew. A place like Midwest Homebrewing Supplies has a lot of great recipe kits that you can start. Look to start with an Extract recipe kit. It's a great start.

Good luck!!

Hanks Hefeweizen from Midwest with liquid yeast is amazing. This was the 3rd batch I made with liquid yeast and the taste / aroma that the yeast produces is the most amazing I have seen in any beer so far.

The difference between all-grain and pure extract brewing is nothing but how much homework you do. you don't need experience to be a good "all-grain" brewer. just do your homework and figure out what you need or not. whatever. the notion that you need "experience" as an extract or partial mash brewer is just a bunch of *****-footing around. all-grain brewing is EASY. it just takes more time and you need to pay attention to more details. experience or not, homework is all you need.

Latest posts

Back