What to brew next???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

citingzero

Reaction score
I have a Scottish light in bottles and a cream ale fermenting. What should I brew next? I'm not really feeling an IPA. What are some good late spring early summer beers? I currently only do extracts. If you could guide me to specific kits/recipes that you like that would be great. Would really like to try something that I can toss some chilis into. Cheers

Never really been a fan of saisons. Then again I haven't had that many. Not against it. What does it compare to?

A classic, maybe the classic, that you can find in a lot of stores is Saison DuPont, which is why I used the Wyeast 3724.

Mine's a little maltier than that, not enough so that I can't call it a saison, but I think because of some unfermentables I seem to get with extract compared to my all grain brethren.

By maltier I mean a little sweeter and seems to have a little more body. Only a little bit of each of those, and the color's fairly comparable; difficult for me to describe.

Hmmm... Maybe not a bad idea. I might try it. My knowledge of saisons is similar to someone trying an IPA and deciding they don't like any of them. Maybe they just haven't had a good one.

Since I mentioned IPAs, I've kinda enjoyed RIPAs lately. But since I'm not really looking to do an IPA, does anyone have an extract recipe for a rye ale that isn't an RIPA? (Do those even exist? Sure they have to... Right?)

Well,the BB Summer Ale kit turns out a shock top like ale. My wife brewed that one & liked it. Good summer beer. Or the cascade pale ale kit from midwest. I really like that one. Golden cascade goodness with great balance.

A Honey Kolsch, Cream Ale, Raspberry Wheat,American Rye....... any of these are great spring/summer beers. Check out Northern Brewer. They have some great extract kits.

Check out the 15 minute cascade pale ale. I'm about to bottle it and the fg reading vial tasted great. If you like grapefruit hop flavor you'll dig it.

Also you could check out the paulenar hef recipe. it's not a kit but it is an extract. some people prefer American wheats over German hefeweizens though.

If I get my carboy stopper I can take my pale ale to the carboy as a secondary to dry hop my Serrano peppers! Then I can brew my red ale for my third batch this month. Getting the pipeline filled again.

All-Grain - Jalapeno Cream Ale

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast 1056
Yeast Starter: yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.052
Final Gravity: 1.011
IBU: IBU 42.6
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 4 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 days @ 68F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 days @ 68F
Tasting Notes: Very well balanced for pepper flavor without going over the top.

This is my most requested beer from friends and family. It's very well balanced, which I believe is the key to brewing a good pepper beer. I've tried it with different styles but the cream ale base has always been the very best and will remain so. It has done well in the few competitions it was entered. Don't change the pepper type..No fiery habaneros...no serranos. If you want to use anchos, brew another style.

7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row)
1.00 lb Corn, Flaked
1.00 lb Vienna Malt
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine
1.00 oz Cluster [7.0%] (60 min)
1.00 oz Liberty Leaf [4.3%] (25 min)
1.00 oz Liberty Leaf [4.3%] (15 min)
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 5.0 min)
7.00 items Jalapeno pepper (Boil 15.0 min) see notes
Wyeast 1056 or a neutral dry yeast

Mash 150F-152F for 60 minutes

Notes

Slit, rinse & roast Jalapenos 20-30 minutes at 350F, slice and soak in Vodka overnight. Add 4 Jalapenos at 15 mins. Use left over Vodka for the hottest Bloody Mary you've ever had!. Add 2-3 more roasted jalapeno peppers to the secondary depending on how much pepper bite you prefer. Peppers vary from crop to crop so use 5-7 depending

this recipe is orginally from someone on here. I made it once before and it turned out great. good light summer beer and has some heat to it.

Latest posts

Back