What to add, and how much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thenick

Reaction score
Greetings beer lovers!

I have recently been introduced to home brewing and have fallen in love with it. I did a batch of Coopers Pilsner, using a canned wort, 1.2kg of Lquid Light Malt Extract, and primed it with about 170g of dextrose before bottling.

Now, the problem: I had my friend show me this and provide the numbers and what I needed. But I want to do it on my own. So how do I determine what I need for the wort I'm using?? How much dextrose, how much LME, do I use LME or Dry extract?

See the problem? Any help would be great. I'm off to try my hand at a batch of IPA or maybe an easy Lager.

Thanks in advance!

I'd suggest reading "How to Brew" by John palmer, "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing" by charlie papazian, and stopping by your local homebrew store for a good conversation with the owner. That's the best way to learn to put together your own recipes.

Greetings beer lovers!

I have recently been introduced to home brewing and have fallen in love with it. I did a batch of Coopers Pilsner, using a canned wort, 1.2kg of Lquid Light Malt Extract, and primed it with about 170g of dextrose before bottling.

Now, the problem: I had my friend show me this and provide the numbers and what I needed. But I want to do it on my own. So how do I determine what I need for the wort I'm using?? How much dextrose, how much LME, do I use LME or Dry extract?

See the problem? Any help would be great. I'm off to try my hand at a batch of IPA or maybe an easy Lager.

Thanks in advance!

Do a few more kits to get the process down pat before you go making your own recipes. Also get the book Designing Better Beers.

Click on the "recipes" tab up toward the top of the HBT page. Look at some extract recipes in the styles you like.

^+1. The recipes are under styles,then listed as to whether they're Extract,Partial Mash or All Grain. I'm positive there are many recipes you'll want to try. Beermuncher's Cream Of Three Crops is quite popular. I have some recipes using Cooper's cans,DME & hops in My Recipes tab under my avatar. you can search all members recipes this way as well.

WOW! Guys, thanks a million for the replies. I'm sure to try them all. I do know I'll be sticking to canned worts right now and maybe in the future when my confidence is up, look at grains and mashes and the like. I'm still learning.

I've also been looking around the forums to help learn some terms. Do you guys have any links that I can use? For example, when I say I used a canned wort of Coopers Pilsner, is that an extract? Or is that a different variety?

Sorry for so many questions guys, noob learning here!

I made that coopers also . Not bad at all . If you want to convert that to all grain or partial then use Beer Smith or some other software .
As far as sugar goes . DO NOT use that sugar 2.2 pounds . Use DME you will be glad you did . The flavor and the mouth feel is much better . The sugar thins it out way too much . Or use 50/50 . i have done that a few times .
If you convert that coopers over to grains then you have to figure out what hops to use . i asked Coopers that very question one time and I was told that they do not use hops but hops oils . but someone usually knows the answer around here .

I know they bitter with Pride of Ringwood hops. By tyhe time you can do partial mash or all grain,You'll likely want to copy better beers than Cooper's. Check out my recipes for making them into something different.

Back