What thread are these?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

storytyme

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm hoping that someone can help me out that has experienced this. In the picture I have one of my valves from my manifold that I bought on morebeer.com. I have decided to upgrade to Duotight fittings so I took the barb off and went to thread the Duotight fitting in and it doesn't fit. I went to the hardware store and they couldn't figure out what kind of threads these are or the size. Nothing fit. Any experiences and guidance is much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_8344.JPG
    IMG_8344.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_8343.JPG
    IMG_8343.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 30
Similar questions have been raised regarding ball valves on regulators and manifolds and the consensus is there is no standard geometry for that threaded part that would lend ready replacement with an mfl version...

Similar questions have been raised regarding ball valves on regulators and manifolds and the consensus is there is no standard geometry for that threaded part that would lend ready replacement with an mfl version...
Thanks. It is weird why it is different. Maybe my Duotight project is not going to happen....

You can replace the whole valve for not a lot of money. Might not look exactly the same (that huge plastic knob is a feature I've never seen on a ball valve) but it will function the same...

Cheers!

I went to the hardware store and they couldn't figure out what kind of threads these are or the size. Nothing fit. Any experiences and guidance is much appreciated.
That unfortunate. Was it a mom and pop hardware store or a chain

fwiw, we've engaged retailers for brewhardware (hint :)) and their perspective actually formed the consensus opinion.
It's not a "ma and pa vs big box" issue, it's that there's no standard, so nobody will have a for-sure replacement...

Cheers!

fwiw, we've engaged retailers for brewhardware (hint :)) and their perspective actually formed the consensus opinion.
It's not a "ma and pa vs big box" issue, it's that there's no standard, so nobody will have a for-sure replacement...

Cheers!
Having the part or a possible replacement is one thing, He said he brought it to the hardware store and said they couldn’t identify what thread or size it was. That’s more of what I was getting at. I would bet a paycheck that my man Fran at Herzogs would be able to tell you the thread count and diameter within a minute.

Ok, I'm with you.
So let's assume your man Fran perfectly identifies the thread pitch, angle, etc.
Then what?

Imo, when a respected retailer tells us there's no supply channel for such an item ("one half of a ball valve with gasket") I'd take it to the bank...

Cheers!

Morebeer said that the Duotight fighting that I was trying to use is "British thread type"

Morebeer said that the Duotight fighting that I was trying to use is "British thread type"
That would probably be BSPP threads-“British Standard Parallel Pipe”.

Your photos don’t provide any scale; what size are the fittings? 1/4”, 3/8”, etc. You should be able to find an adapter with BSPP male on one end and NPT female on the other. That would allow you to attach a barb with the appropriate NPT male threads to the adapter. Google “BSPP to NPT adapters”.

You do realize the piece that has the barb also has half of the bearing for the ball valve, right?
Can't just screw random bits to half of a ball valve and expect it to..."valve" :D

Cheers!

You do realize the piece that has the barb also has half of the bearing for the ball valve, right?
Can't just screw random bits to half of a ball valve and expect it to..."valve" :D

Cheers!
You may be correct.

OTOH, since the pics aren’t showing everything we need to know, it appears that the ball is directly below the center of the handle and, in the photo, is in the open position. If the ball is removed in the pic, what rotates it? If it goes on the side towards the camera it wouldn’t be aligned with the shaft on which the handle rotates.

Of what use is the Internet if we can’t speculate? :D

The pics might be hinky but there's no other reason for that type of plastic insert on the part the OP would love to replace other than the seal for the ball.

I've seen this movie numerous times and it always ends the same way: @Bobby_M shows up and points out even he doesn't have a way to source a "for sure will work" part to convert a random barbed ball valve to a 1/4" MFL, so the OP is left either replacing a valve (nbd) or living with a barb (also nbd)...

Cheers!

This isn't a matter of finding a barb with the right thread. That barbed piece is half of the ball valve assembly that is machined specifically to apply the right amount of pressure on the teflon seat that the ball rotates against. Think of the two halves only coming apart because they had to be in two pieces to allow for assembly of the valve. If you prefer, imagine a big sticker on the valve that says "no user serviceable parts inside". Or... just trust me.. replace the valve.

Ball Valve, 1/4'' NPT to 1/4'' MFL with Check $9

Pretty sure that's straight pipe thread of some type. British or other standard. It's not gonna be NPT.

Latest posts

Back