What the hell happened? Preboil and post boil gravity only a few points apart?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmcquesten

Reaction score
Ok, just finished up a 12 gallon batch of (all grain) ipa. Took my preboil gravity with a hydrometer calibrated at 60 and it was about 1.060 corrected for temperature. This put my mash efficiency at 80%, which is exactly what it's been for the last 5 batches and what I built the recipe for. Preboil volume was 14.2ish gallons. I boiled for 60 minutes. Ended up with 12 gallons split between 2 ferment buckets. Post boil gravity reading ended up only at 1.064. What possibly could have happened? Did I imagine boiling it for an hour? I've gotten about a 10 point difference in all other batches this one is only a 4 point difference? What should I do? Boil again? I'm not concerned with a higher abv, just more how this happened and how it affects the hop balance. Beersmith has estimated gravity at 1.069. I've been hitting all my numbers on my last several batches.

Ok, just finished up a 12 gallon batch of (all grain) ipa. Took my preboil gravity with a hydrometer calibrated at 60 and it was about 1.060 corrected for temperature. This put my mash efficiency at 80%, which is exactly what it's been for the last 5 batches and what I built the recipe for. Preboil volume was 14.2ish gallons. I boiled for 60 minutes. Ended up with 12 gallons split between 2 ferment buckets. Post boil gravity reading ended up only at 1.064. What possibly could have happened? Did I imagine boiling it for an hour? I've gotten about a 10 point difference in all other batches this one is only a 4 point difference? What should I do? Boil again? I'm not concerned with a higher abv, just more how this happened and how it affects the hop balance. Beersmith has estimated gravity at 1.069. I've been hitting all my numbers on my last several batches.

What was the temperature of the wort when you took your preboil gravity? If it was higher than about 90 degrees before doing a temperature correction, the reading is so inaccurate as to be worthless. Next time, cool the sample in a pitcher of ice water, then take the reading and correct for temperature if needed.

Anyway, your 1.064 is fine- you only missed the projected by .005, so don't worry about it!

Thanks for the response Yooper, I didn't expect to get a response from you. The temperature when I took the preboil reading was 146. The non corrected reading was 1.054. It cooled to probably 120 before I dumped it to take post boil. I guess I'll have to save both samples from now on and let the first one cool. I've brewed about 6 batches in the last month and this is the first time I've seen this.

Thanks again for the response.

Thanks for the response Yooper, I didn't expect to get a response from you. The temperature when I took the preboil reading was 146. The non corrected reading was 1.054. It cooled to probably 120 before I dumped it to take post boil. I guess I'll have to save both samples from now on and let the first one cool. I've brewed about 6 batches in the last month and this is the first time I've seen this.

Thanks again for the response.

If you keep a couple of thick coffee mugs in the freezer, you can put your wort sample in one to cool it more rapidly. My hydro is calibrated for 60, so I cool my sample to at least 75.

So I have this exact same thing happen to me on two batches. I was reading with a refractomoter after cooling the sample.

First time I took the sample from wort before it boiled and thought it was off due to my runnings not being thoroughly mixed. Next batch I wait until it boils for a minute or two and then pull sample. Let it cool and it tells me it is a couple points below where my OG ended up again.

Bizarre. Have no idea why it is reading off. I have verifed the refractometer is calibrated , etc.

I've done everything the same for the last few batches and hit all my numbers. This is the first time I've seen this. It makes me wonder about the other batches now. I thought I was doing good with my 80% efficiency but now this happens. I don't get it.

I've done everything the same for the last few batches and hit all my numbers. This is the first time I've seen this. It makes me wonder about the other batches now. I thought I was doing good with my 80% efficiency but now this happens. I don't get it.

It could be just this batch, then. Maybe the crush was different, or the amount of sparge water was different, or the mash pH was different if this batch used lighter colored grains than the last couple (or if the water used was different). It could be a number of things, if the first few batches were consistent.

Did anything change? Do you mill your own grain? Is this the same sized batch as the other batches?

Of course I type a 2 page response, then get a "don't have permission to access this thread" error message when I hit send... I'll just post tomorrow, I'm over it.

It could be just this batch, then. Maybe the crush was different, or the amount of sparge water was different, or the mash pH was different if this batch used lighter colored grains than the last couple (or if the water used was different). It could be a number of things, if the first few batches were consistent.

Did anything change? Do you mill your own grain? Is this the same sized batch as the other batches?

Ok, so I did just about everything exactly the same. I do mill my grain. I bought a new monster mill about a month and a half ago, set the gap how I like it, and that's where it's stayed since. My batch size varies, but results are consistent. 3 days ago I brewed 12 gallons moose drool, 80% efficiency, hit target og, boil off was 2 gal over an hour, preboil and post boil were 10 points apart. The day before that I did 6 gallons witbier, 80% efficiency, about 2 gal boil off over 90 min, 10 point difference pre vs post boil. Week before Christmas I did 6 gallons of porter and 6 gallons Belgian blonde, 80% efficiency, 10 point difference over 60 min boil,target gravity on both. Couple weeks before that, 6 gallons Munich Helles 80% efficiency, all numbers hit. The only difference on this batch was the 1.5 tsp of gypsum that I added to the beginning of the boil. I don't see how that could have affected the gravity that much. This sounds like a dumb question, but can hops affect gravity? I wouldn't think it would, but this is the only batch it's happened with and it's an ipa.
It seems like whatever went wrong, happened in the boil. How did I screw up the easiest part of the process? Again, I'm pretty sure the mash was fine.

Even if I did everything wrong on this batch, I've done it exactly the same on the past 5, so I would expect the consistent results I've been getting.

It seems to reason that wort of a certain gravity will always yield a wort of a higher gravity when condensed. It's math right? I'm with the "one of your measurements was off" crowd.

It seems to reason that wort of a certain gravity will always yield a wort of a higher gravity when condensed. It's math right? I'm with the "one of your measurements was off" crowd.

I hope that's the case, I'm just not sure how that's possible when I've been doing everything exactly the same. Oh well, it's done now. Maybe as the original sample cool the preboil reading would have went down? I would think the opposite, but who knows

Back