What the heck is in Central Illinois?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briewer2

Reaction score
Hey from Champaign Illinois (go Illini),
So me and my girlfriend (both college students originally from chicago-area) started brewing a few months ago after I talked about it for a while and she finally convinced me to do it. We are both big beer drinkers and have planned our last two vacations around brewery visits. We did one batch with my friend and were instantly hooked. We went straight into all-grain because that is what we saw, and it has definitely turned into an addiction. We already have "invested" in a 10 gal rubbermaid mash tun system, 8 and 15 gal megapots, our own grain mill, and most recently a kegerator/ cornies. The sad thing is we justified getting all this stuff because it would save us money in the long run. Since we jumped into it w/ very little experience we had a few batched go bunk (or is it debunk) when we tried to do some high grav stuff, so I was looking for answers and stumbled apon this wonderful site. Anyway, we don't have to many brewing friends so this place has been fantastic. Thanks in advance for all the help.

B & J

My Best Advice is STICK WITH IT AND READ!

I Started brewing with some friends in College, one guy had done a few extract batches...We thought we could do 15 gal. All Grain Batches... not so much! I hear your frustration... I took some time off and again a friend got me back into it. Now 2 years later I have done a number of successful Extract and partial mash batches... We started with a kit and then move from there. Take it slow and PERFECT 1 thing at a time.

Remember SANITATION is #1 ... Do it cause you love it, not cause it costs less ... READ, READ READ & BREW, BREW, BREW (Charlie Papazian has 2 good brewing books and there are others out there.

I am from Champaign!!!!!

Currently I live in Asheville NC, and possibly moving back in the next year or two, if I move back I will be your brewing friend.

Hey here, am a newbie to the site also but decided to poke my head in here to say I'm from Sullivan, IL originally. Have a buddy in Sullivan that brews in fact.

Just to plug the ongoing trend, I am up the road in Bloomington, IL.

feed the obsession and enjoy.... the more you do it, the better you get.

Furthermore, find others in the area and brew with them.

Hey from Champaign Illinois (go Illini),
So me and my girlfriend (both college students originally from chicago-area) started brewing a few months ago after I talked about it for a while and she finally convinced me to do it. We are both big beer drinkers and have planned our last two vacations around brewery visits. We did one batch with my friend and were instantly hooked. We went straight into all-grain because that is what we saw, and it has definitely turned into an addiction. We already have "invested" in a 10 gal rubbermaid mash tun system, 8 and 15 gal megapots, our own grain mill, and most recently a kegerator/ cornies. The sad thing is we justified getting all this stuff because it would save us money in the long run. Since we jumped into it w/ very little experience we had a few batched go bunk (or is it debunk) when we tried to do some high grav stuff, so I was looking for answers and stumbled apon this wonderful site. Anyway, we don't have to many brewing friends so this place has been fantastic. Thanks in advance for all the help.

B & J

BUZZ brewclub meets every first Thursday of the month, 7pm at the Bread Company on Goodwin in Urbana(across from Kranert and next to Canopy Club.). Stop on by tomorrow.

It's a build-up of from the South! MIchiganders unite! We will fight the tide!

he he...

Anyway, don't get discouraged. Starsan. Use it on everything. Check temps. Chill wort quickly with IC or other cooler. Mostly sanitation though. Make sure everything is CLEAN and then SANITIZE. If you have scratches in your plastic stuff, toss it and get new. Try not to get dust (especially grain dust) in your cooled wort. If possible, crush away from the brewing area.

But keep at it, you guys will do fine!

Back