What style of beer for use of corainder?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewAlchemy

Reaction score
Ok trying to make a beer with the use of corriander and grapefruit. Grapefruit ill try to pronounce with the use of certain hops, ie. cascade/centenial. My problem is i am not a big fan of belgian beers and everywhere i look thats the style used with coriander. Aside from belgians are there any recomendations when it comes to the use of corriander?

That's traditionally what Coriander and citrus is used for. Especially wits.Even Blue Moon uses citrus. And Classic wits use coriander.

So what is it that you don't like about them? Maybe if we could determine that, we can come up with an idea that stays away from what you don't like.

Just make a wheat beer, use a neutral yeast, and add the coriander. Blue Moon uses coriander. It's not a Belgian wit, just an american wheat with orange peel and coriander.

Add it to a pale ale or IPA. There is an Orange Pale Ale recipe on here (blacklab's). Check the recipe database in this forum.

You could add it to a fruit beer of any kind for a layering effect in the flavor.

Might be interesting also in a high-abv RIS.

Just make a wheat beer, use a neutral yeast, and add the coriander. Blue Moon uses coriander. It's not a Belgian wit, just an american wheat with orange peel and coriander..

^^ -> +1. I wanted to experiment with coriander myself so I did the following 5 gallon beer:

6.6lbs Wheat LME (3.3 added @ 60, 3.3 added at 20)
1oz Saaz @ 60
.5oz Tettnang @ 10
1oz crushed coriander @ 10
1oz bitter orange @ 10
3638 Bavarian Hefe yeast

It's a great beer. I'd recommend trying it out in a wheat. The flavor was intense at bottling but 3 weeks later, it subdued to a very pleasant hint.

I'm on the last 16 bottles of this batch of American Summer Wheat with Coriander that I brewed up earlier this summer http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/Summer-Wheat-Beer-with-Coriander.html

I used coriander seeds that I bought at an Indian market, they were a little different, gave a bright, orange-y flavor. Good beer for the summer!

Edit: I just remembered that the hop bill for that brew was a little eccentric, I was using up some odds and ends, but the Cascades predominated and added a another nice citrus touch.

That's traditionally what Coriander and citrus is used for. Especially wits.Even Blue Moon uses citrus. And Classic wits use coriander.

So what is it that you don't like about them? Maybe if we could determine that, we can come up with an idea that stays away from what you don't like.

American wheat I am ok with. Its generally the phenolic compounds produced with belgian yeasts that i dont like so much. Reminds me too much of the dentists and sucking on a bandaid. I think maybe an american wheat, or IPA or a fruit beer are my options. Decisions decisions.

I suggest EdWorts Haus Pale Ale. I have been brewing that with orange peel and coriander. Super yummy.

Back