What size/type fridge for fermentation chamber?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newsman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've ordered a "Fast Fermenter" conical plastic fermenter from the sponsors here. Expecting it to ship in August. I'd like to start using my chest freezer for it's intended original purpose -- keeping frozen things frozen! :D What size / type of fridge would you recommend for converting to a fermentation chamber? I'm thinking of going and getting a "Craig's List Special" rather than spending a lot of money. :) Just need something that will stay cool enough and maybe allow me to lager in it eventually. :) I can use the freezer portion to store hops/grain/etc :D
I'm guessing a traditional over/under (freezer on top) would be the best solution. Any other suggestions?

The issue I have with the Freezer on top is that if you are keeping the ferm cab at 55°F - 70°F, the freezer portion will not be at freezing temps. And if you're not storing stuff up there, you're probably not opening it regularly and you can develop mold pretty easily - that was always my issue. Having a kegerator like that makes sense, but for a ferm cabinet, I would recommend a single-cavity refrigerator/freezer. my two cents...

***edit - I just noticed... especially with GA humidity!

Thanks, Grizz. You think having two separate compartments you'd still have problems keeping the freezer portion frozen? I'm talking about the traditional 2-door fridge/freezer...not the old style "office fridge" with a freezer compartment INSIDE the fridge. :) Just your traditional home fridge. :)

Thanks, Grizz. You think having two separate compartments you'd still have problems keeping the freezer portion frozen? I'm talking about the traditional 2-door fridge/freezer...not the old style "office fridge" with a freezer compartment INSIDE the fridge. :) Just your traditional home fridge. :)

You absolutely will have problems keeping the freezer section frozen if you use a thermostat to get the lower section to fermentation temps. I use this very setup in my garage, and even with the florida heat having the lower section set to 60 yields about 35 degrees in the upper section. You can try to restrict the flow from the freezer to the fridge by setting the fridge at the warmest setting, but you'll probably still have issues keeping anything reliably frozen up there. I eventually used a hole saw to cut 6 3" holes from the freezer to fridge and added a PC fan in one of them to equalize the temps. This way I have the upper section to store beer. It runs about 10 degrees cooler than the lower section, so it's perfect for aging/storing beer. When I'm not fermenting anything, I just move my temp probe to the upper section and set my thermostat to 33....

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Newsman allow me to share some of my recent experiences as I just went through the same entire process you're describing. I'll try and give a pro/con from my perspective as I went round and round on which way I wanted to proceed. I'm here in GA as well, so our struggles are the same as well in regards to the lovely summers.

If you're going for a "ferm chamber" I would recommend finding a small chest freezer or mini fridge tall enough to fit your fermentation container. Here's why.

Full Fridge:
+ Pro - Space. More than enough room for one to two fermentation containers.

Con:
- For the purpose of fermentation, it's really not the most efficient use for a fridge.
- As mentioned above. The Freezer is actually the part that provides the cool air to the fridge. If you try to run your fridge at ferm temps (60+ degrees), it's very unlikely you'll maintain freezing temps in the freezer because the coldest air goes into the freezer, then the residual cold air blows down into the fridge. Hence why the coldest part of a fridge is typically the top back area because it's getting the direct blast of freezer air.
- Size. This may not be an issue for you, but being that I own two cars, no truck or van, I required a buddy's assistance to go get it, move it, and unload it.

This is essentially eliminating the intent of why you're looking at the fridge for the value of the freezer.

Small Chest Freezer

Pros:
+ Cheap. I found tons of these on CL for relatively cheap. 25-75$ listed price. Can easily be negotiated down to 50$ or less.
+ Size. You can get one big enough for 1 ferm container, it can easily be moved around with the help of another person, but can be manageable by yourself.
+ Availability. They seemed to be everywhere when I was looking for a 5+ cu. ft. one.

Cons:
- Raising/lowering ferm container is a major concern depending on what you use. It's the primary reason I'm moving to a better bottle carboy in the next few months. Raising and lowering a full glass carboy isn't impossible by any means. However, the day I screw up is going to be a bad day regardless if I get hurt or just have to clean up a ton of glass.
- Space. If you go with a smaller one you'll only be fermenting 1 5 gal batch at a time. May not be a problem for you if you do that or less. I considered buying two small chest freezers to be two independent ferm chambers so I could ferment at two different temps.
- Scaling. Where do you want to go in the future? Consider a bigger chest freezer if you see yourself doing 10g batches or have a reason to have 2 fermenting vessels in there simultaneously.

Mini-Fridge
Pros:
+ Size. Most people can pick up and move themselves. Always a plus.
+ Cheap. Like the small chest freezers. There's always an abundance of these available on CL.
+ Shipping. If you find a great deal on CL, eBay, Amazon, etc these can be shipped with relatively low shipping costs in comparison to a chest freezer or fridge. This can really expand your options and your shopping.
+ Glass doors available. There are alot of wine fridges on CL that will fit a ferm container with a glass door. Just a nice option of being able to see the fermentation happening. I couldn't find any during my searches, but I would of probably gone with this if I had.
+ Raising/lowering container. Simple, just slide the container in.

Costco sells the Danby fridge that doesn't have a freezer compartment.

Cons:
- Freezer compartment. Almost all mini fridges come with a freezer compartment now that will likely get in the way of the required height. If you're a DIY and comfortable removing that, some are easier than others.
- Compressor area. Most also have a small hump that makes only half of the bottom floor of the fridge actually functional. Depending on the size of the fridge and ferm container, this may or may not be an impact.
- Reliability. Mini-fridges tend to be more inefficient in power consumption as well as lifetime. For a ferm chamber, it's not that big of a deal because it's just going to run in short duration.
- Efficient. Mini-fridges tend to be less efficient at insulating and retaining temperature. This being the case it'll have to run more often, but shouldn't be a huge deal.

My recommendation is to find another standing chest freezer to fit your container.

Hope this helps you speed up your decision.

I think Fiddler's analysis is a good one, but the OP has a conical on order, so I'd advise against the chest freezer. The "out" port on a conical is on the bottom, which is pretty much inaccessible if the concial is inside of a chest freezer.

I think Fiddler's analysis is a good one, but the OP has a conical on order, so I'd advise against the chest freezer. The "out" port on a conical is on the bottom, which is pretty much inaccessible if the concial is inside of a chest freezer.

Valid point. I didn't think about that, which makes total sense. I just went off my system using the carboy. I'd definitely go with the standing freezer in this case then. Although I do like Demus's point of using the freezer as a cellar/aging/beer storage area.

For a conical an upright freezer or fridge only unit would probably make the most sense. You might want to hold off until you actually get your conical before you decide. That way you can see for yourself the space you'll need for it....

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks again, guys. I have the specs but I need to see about buying/building a stand as the conical doesn't come with a stand. :(

Know this is an older thread, but just wanted to thank you guys for some info for a soon-to-be first time brewer in Georgia as well!

Back