what size mashtun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrumpyKoby

Reaction score
I have another question I should have included this in last question. I am going to be doing 5 gallon all grain brews. I was wondering what size mashtun should I make? 5 gallon or 10 gallon? Thank you for the help.

I did find a good deal on a 10 gallon pot for the wort.

Thank you
Grumpy

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

You can make smaller beers in a bigger mash tun but you can't make bigger beers in a smaller mash tun

Sent from my SPH-M840 using Home Brew mobile app

10 or more. You'll want to do some bigger beers and the 5 isn't enough.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Home Brew mobile app

As in the above posts - go for the ten gallon. Save a few bucks and do the conversion yourself. It's super easy - even for someone like me who usually breaks things when I try to be handy.

I'd have to agree with everyone else, based on personal experience.
When I started doing partial mashes over 2 years ago, I got a 5G drink cooler and fitted it with a braid. It holds temps wonderfully, and performs great- up to a point. Up to about 10 lbs of grain, it's perfect. Above that I have to be creative- use a more concentrated mash(instead of my usual 1.5qt/lb), and do a decoction if I want to step up temps. For the couple of big beers I've done,with 14-15 lbs. , I set up a hybrid BIAB in a large rectangular cooler. It works, but if I had to do it again, I would have got a 10G round cooler from the start.

Back