What size mash tun for 5 gallon batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traz1986

Reaction score
What size igloo cooler do you recommend for 5 gallon batches. 5 or 10 gallons? Not brewing anything too heavy. Usually 9 lbs of malt.

The 5 seems like it would work, but would like to hear from people using a 5 or 10 gallon cooler and the batch size to make.

Thanks! Jim

I started with a 5gal and moved to a 10gal within a year. If you plan on only brewing low gravity beers you should be fine with a 5gal. I would recommend 10gal just so you have the option of brewing bigger beers in the future and not having to buy a larger cooler to do so.

I use a 10 gallon cooler and it holds temps great. My 5 gallon batches have between 8 to 12 lbs of grain. The larger cooler has very little down side to it it does take a little more space to store but that is the only down side.:mug:

I'd recommend buying the 10gal mash tun man. There's a pretty good chance you'll want the extra volume eventually - probably sooner than later.

Cheers and enjoy the brew.

10g. The lids don't insulate too well though. Many people just put a folded up blanket on top. I drilled some holes through the top half of the lid and filled it with the spray foam in a can. Makes a huge difference.

Just figured I'd mention it...

I use a 5 gallon for 5 gallon session or normal batches and 3 gallon batches of bigger beers. I already had the 5 gallon cooler with a broken water nozzle, but if I were buying a new one one I'd go for the 10 gallon for the added flexibility. You can still make a 2 gallon batch of session beer in a 10 gallon cooler, but you can't make a 5 gallon batch of barley wine in a 5 gallon cooler.

I bought a 5 gal cooler and it works well until I want to brew something above 7% or so. I think 11.5 lbs was the most I could fit and used 1.1 qts/lb, though I have some dead space with the way mine is set up (hybrid BIAB using grain bag as filter). I wish I had the 10 gal cooler (I think), though space is at a premium in my house (I didn't bother comparing sizes).

Looks to be unanimous. I purchased the 10 gallon igloo at Lowes. On sale for $36. Not tagged as such on the shelf, but the website showed a sale until 9/1. Best deal around. Thanks all for the input.

Back