What size mash tun for 1/2BBL no sparge mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewinSoldier

Reaction score
Hey guys! I've been researching for the past couple days and can't find what I'm looking for.

I ordered a 30 gallon mash tun from Spike on Friday evening but am really reconsidering my decision. I already have their 30 gallon boil kettle because I don't plan on doing 1BBL batches anytime soon. 1/2 BBL max will fit my needs. I thought I was all set getting a 30 gallon mash tun, but then I didn't think about the extra sparge water and needing a bigger one of those as well. So then it got me thinking about different mashing techniques vs the fly sparging I'm doing now. I came across the no sparge mash method and it seems very intriguing to me. Not only will it save me from having to buy another 20-30 gallon kettle for sparge water, it will cut my brew day significantly.

With going this method though, should I be getting a 50 gallon mash tun? I've been trying to input in calculators but I'm not sure if I'm calculating it right or not.

Can someone who has knowledge in this area please tell me if I need a 30 or 50 gallon mash tun to do 1/2BBL batches max using the no sparge method? Max beers I do are usually no more than 7.5-8% ABV. I plugged in a 1.067 SG IPA and it was like 45 lbs of grain alone. Using brew365, it says I'd need 27.10 gallons TOTAL water for mash and sparge. That alone is where I'm thinking the 30 gallon might not be enough.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Ok so walking through the way I've calculated this.

With a 12 gallon into the fermenter batch for 10 full gallons into the keg, and a 1.047 SG for my pilsner, I'd need 22lb of grain. Then a boil time of 1.5 hours due to an all pilsner malt grain bill. Entering that into brew365 and upping the mash thickeness until sparge water needed gets to 0, puts me at a 3.5 qt/lb.

Then I take that and plug it into "can I mash it?" calculator and it says with a 22lb grain bill at 3.5 qt/Lb mash thickness, I would need 21.01 gallons of space.

Now different scenario. I am brewing a 1/2BBL of IPA of say 1.067 SG. I want 17 gallons into the fermenter. I need approximately 45lbs of grain with a 1 hour boil. Mash365 says I'll need 2.41qts/lb to bring the sparge water to 0. Now plugging this in the can I mash it calculator, it says I'll need 30.71 gallons of space which wouldn't be enough room in my 30 gallon mash tun.

Am I calculating this correctly? If so, playing around a little more, I can do upwards of a 1.076 beer with a one hour boil for 12 gallons of wort into the fermenter. Doesn't look like a 30 gallon mash tun will be enough for a 1/2BBL batch "IF" I am calculating this correctly.

Last edited:
I plugged your numbers into a BIAB calculator and it says your IPA would only take up ~26 gallons volume during the mash. I BIAB 6 gallon batches and my IPAs take up ~9 gallons of volume when mashing so I think you would be fine for no sparge mashes as long as you have a pickup tube.

I plugged your numbers into a BIAB calculator and it says your IPA would only take up ~26 gallons volume during the mash. I BIAB 6 gallon batches and my IPAs take up ~9 gallons of volume when mashing so I think you would be fine for no sparge mashes as long as you have a pickup tube.

Which calculator are you using? Was that for a 1/2BBL of the 1.067 batch?

I tried emailing Spike on Monday to upgrade to a 50 gallon mash tun but they said it was too late even though it wasn't getting made until the end of this week. They said the holes had already been punched out so a 30 gallon mash tun to match my 30 gallon kettle it is.

Another thought though for doing half barrel batches though is adding most of the water to the mash and the grain filling it up to the 28 gallon mark, then adding the rest in as it's draining out into the kettle. Kinda like a mini sparge so I can still use my 10gallon HLT and still be able to do a 1/2 bbl batch.

Which calculator are you using? Was that for a 1/2BBL of the 1.067 batch?

I tried emailing Spike on Monday to upgrade to a 50 gallon mash tun but they said it was too late even though it wasn't getting made until the end of this week. They said the holes had already been punched out so a 30 gallon mash tun to match my 30 gallon kettle it is.

Another thought though for doing half barrel batches though is adding most of the water to the mash and the grain filling it up to the 28 gallon mark, then adding the rest in as it's draining out into the kettle. Kinda like a mini sparge so I can still use my 10gallon HLT and still be able to do a 1/2 bbl batch.

http://www.biabcalculator.com/

I punched in 45 lbs. grain, 17 gallon batch, 1.5 gallons trub.

I do 6 gallon batches in my 10 gallon Spike kettle and I have never maxed out my kettle so I think you will be fine unless you are trying to do a huge beer (1.100 or more)

Back