What size HLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackers252

Reaction score
I'm in the process of doing a keggle conversion for my mash tun. How many Quarts/Gallons should my HLT be? I'm planning on using a cooler for the HLT but I can't decide on the size.

I would like to purchase it locally and unfortunately, the only round rubbermaid coolers around here are of the 5 gallon size.

Thanks in advance.

I'm doing my first AG tomorrow, so keep that in consideration. I'm doing batch sparge, and with my grain bill (a modest 12.5lbs), I'll need a total of around 5.24 gallons to sparge with (not including the strike water). So, if you were doing this, you'd have to heat/store it in phases. I would think a 10 gallon HLT would be better than the 5 gallon ones you are finding.

You will need more than 5 gallons to do 10 gallon batch sizes... I would look into purchasing at least a 10 gallon one... who is to say that you have to use the round ones... Why not look for the 60q ICE Cube coolers... those things are great!! Walmart usually has them...

That's what I was thinking too. I still plan on doing 5 gallon batches (especially the really high gravity ones). So the 10 gallon cooler sounds like a much better idea.

Thanks

I'd say get an HLT roughly the same capacity as your brew kettle. This seems to work for most folks. Many use another keggle as the HLT. A 15 gallon cooler should be just fine.

I'd say get an HLT roughly the same capacity as your brew kettle. This seems to work for most folks. Many use another keggle as the HLT. A 15 gallon cooler should be just fine.

Since it is just a HLT and my brew pot is 8 gallons, I decided to go with a 32-38 quart cooler.

If I expand my brew pot in the future, I will just get a bigger cooler and swap out the fitting and ball valve.

Back