what should I do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Limited Visibility

Reaction score
I am testing 3 different kinds of yeast for a mead. I am doing 3, 1 gallon batches of mead that consists of:

2# 14oz Orange Blossom Honey
zest from 3 medium oranges
2/3 cup squeezed orange juice

My first batch I used Wyeast Sweet Mead Yeast and added the recommended amounts of yeast energizer and nutrients. It was a slow starter but fermented out fine.

On my second batch I just made with the same recipe although this time it was American Ale Yeast 1056. And it has not started fermenting and I am getting close to a week now since pitching. I tried to raise the temp a little from my pitch temp of 68 but it never started up. I have tried little gentle swirls to maybe rouse the yeast but that did not work either.

I have go-ferm and fermaid k on the way(just ordered yesterday) for my next test batch with D-47 yeast. What do you think may be the problem of the non-ferment? Also what would you do? Thanks for any advice and input :mug:

Might be the PH level. Wine yeast usually like a lower PH than beer yeast. You could try drawing off a sample & raising the PH a bit with a pinch or two of calcium carbonate. Treat it just like a yeast starter & see if it takes off or not. If not, you may need to repitch. Could also be too heavy a gravity for the ale yeast to start, try thinning the must a bit with water & give it a good stir. It might just take off. Regards, GF.

Back